PDA

View Full Version : Pre Drilled holes for drawer slides

tim walker
08-01-2023, 6:49 PM
Do you normally pre drill holes for your drawer slides or use self tapping screws? This will be in very hard mesquite. I am thinking pre drilled but wanted experts to chime in.

Jamie Buxton
08-01-2023, 7:32 PM
I always drill pilot holes for screws into wood. The screws are easier to drive, and they’re less likely to split the wood.

Jamie Buxton
08-01-2023, 7:33 PM
A Vix bit is a good investment for this. AKA self-centering bit.

glenn bradley
08-01-2023, 7:42 PM
I too drill pilot holes. I am not an employee at a high-output kitchen and bath shop. I am not building a deck. I am not in that much of a hurry. I also tend to build inset drawers so I don't have the overlay to make things look OK :D.

Richard Coers
08-01-2023, 8:42 PM
I always use a Vix bit to keep the alignment right. Remember, if you are screwing to a solid wood panel, you will restrict wood movement if you use the holes and not the slots. But mesquite is very stable, and I've never seen nor worked mesquite that is very hard. I've always found it to be about the same as walnut.

Tom M King
08-01-2023, 9:52 PM
My tool of choice for drawer slide screws in predrilled holes.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Standard-Handle/8-3-4%22-Ratcheting-Standard-Screwdriver-(Orange)/SSDMR4BO

Larry Frank
08-02-2023, 7:52 AM
I always use s Vix bit to pre drill holes.

mike calabrese
08-02-2023, 2:25 PM
Not familiar with very hard mesquite but if I were to do the same in say white oak I would pre drill and add a little wax to the screw threads.
nothing worse than stripping out the screw head or snaping the screw.
calabrese55

Rod Sheridan
08-05-2023, 3:51 PM
Not familiar with very hard mesquite but if I were to do the same in say white oak I would pre drill and add a little wax to the screw threads.
nothing worse than stripping out the screw head or snaping the screw.
calabrese55

Hi Mike, I agree with your approach and just wanted to say hello as I noticed your location.

Diann and I enjoyed many wonderful Labour Day weekends at the Watkins Glen State Park attending the BMW bike rally hosted by the Watkins Glen BMW club.

It was a wonderful area, and fabulous people at the rally and in every town made it a fantastic event. We miss the people and scenery of the area……….Regards, Rod