PDA

View Full Version : swing arm hinges for under the table tool

Raif Harik
07-29-2023, 1:07 PM
I really think that having the right name for things is 9/10's of most battles. I need a piece of hardware and have no idea what the heck it's called so I can't freakin buy it!. I just went through this. You know the handle on your drill press which loosens the clamp on the post so you can raise and lower the table? What the heck do you call that kind of handle, the kind that has that sort of tongue and grove pivot. I don't need a replacement part, I need the concept for something else I was building... whatever, I worked around it.
Now, I want to build something where my little table top beltsander can live under the bench and then swing up and sit in front of the bench. I'm inspired by this picture. Clearly the hardware exists. When I followed the link it's for plans they want to sell. Which I get and that's great, but I don't need plans for how to build it I just need to know where to get the hardware or what it's called, and there's a chance that even if I buy the plans, they wont give me enough information to get the hardware ( I've had that happen ). So I figured I'd see if anyone knows what that sort of thing is called or some possible search words I could use to figure it out.
Thank you.

Jamie Buxton
07-29-2023, 1:17 PM
"mixer/appliance lift" will get you a bunch of leads.

Raif Harik
07-29-2023, 1:41 PM
Dang Jamie! Spot on! So I always wonder, is there some way that you are able to know that or come up with that or is it simply a case of someone having come across it before?
Also jeez! they are expensive! $200! I may have to try and fashion something on my own.
Thanks!
Raif

Raif Harik
07-29-2023, 1:59 PM
You know, now that I know better what it is, and more importantly what it costs, I want to build one. Seems doable. However, I'd like to tap some of the better minds in here first before I try my self. I think I should open a new post seeking thoughts on how to build one.
Thanks for your help!

Dan Cameron
07-29-2023, 3:36 PM
You know, now that I know better what it is, and more importantly what it costs, I want to build one. Seems doable. However, I'd like to tap some of the better minds in here first before I try my self. I think I should open a new post seeking thoughts on how to build one.
Thanks for your help!

Consider a box a few inches high with the sander hanging upside-down under the bench. The box is attached to full extension slides via a pivot pin on each side which allows it to rotate 180 degrees when the slides are extended. The sander is then right side up and raised to bench height. A couple of clevis pins could lock both the rotation and the slide movement. Sanding supplies stored in the box?

Max Neu
07-29-2023, 3:56 PM
Thanks for your help!
I have used them on several kitchens, I mostly have used the Reva Shelf brand.One thing to take into consideration that the instructions don't tell you (at least I don't remember)is to allow for your hinges if you are going to put a door on it.You will need to block out the hinge side to allow room for the mechanism to lift up without hitting the hinges or door. I use euro hinges,which take up room on the inside of the opening.

Jim Becker
07-29-2023, 4:23 PM
I use this type of lift for my OSS which lives in a cabinet under my drum sander...when I need the OSS, i open the doors and pull it up until the "mixer" lift locks, use the tool and then let it down and close things up when I'm done.

Raif Harik
07-30-2023, 1:26 PM
This is great information and great ideas. I like the full extension idea, much simpler in mechanics. But I like the lift idea as well. Amazon has a lift for ~$100 that gets good reviews. I just wonder if something like that is at all sturdy with a machine whirling on top of it. It sounds like some of y'all are doing just this and have not mentioned "by the way it feels like your sander is going to go careening onto the floor sanding your legs on the way down and then blowing up" so that's a good sign :)
I also noticed no one is like "oh yea, sure. You can build one those your self. It's no problem." Which I will take as tacit objection. So I think I've got some great info now. If you have more ideas I'm always happy to hear it.
Thank you.

Jamie Buxton
07-30-2023, 2:21 PM
Budget approach.... Put your sander on a short cart which fits wherever you were going to put the appliance lift. Roll the cart out when you need it. Kneel or sit to use it. Maybe you don't even put casters on the cart.