PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Dubby sled.

Rick Potter
07-29-2023, 3:26 AM
I bought a Dubby sled in June of 2014. I knew I had it, and never opened the box, but I could not remember if it was for a left tilt or right tilt saw ( I have had both).

Dug it out of the corner of the shop to satisfy my curiosity today. I had no idea that is was actually a double Dubby. The box contained a complete left tilt and right tilt setup, and I had no idea. Repacked it, and put it back until I need it.

No, this is not unusual for me. Sometimes when the money is there I tend to over buy. It's a sickness, and there are more unopened boxes back there. Two Beis fences, a couple Kreg router tables, half a dozen old grinders...the pre-estate sale is going very slowly.

glenn bradley
07-29-2023, 9:55 AM
Congrats on Christmas-in-July. You need to binge-watch "Hoarders" for a couple of nights in a row to help you break out of your pattern. :D:D:D

Tom M King
07-29-2023, 12:45 PM
I have tools in boxes that have never been opened too, but they're here if I need them. My common method of building stuff is to figure it out as I go along, and have plenty of tools to work with. For example, I know I have an Incra 5000 still in the box, but I forget what I bought it for, when I bought it, or how much it cost. That's just woodworking. I do a lot of other types of work too.

Christian Hawkshaw
07-29-2023, 4:08 PM
If I ever found a boxed-up tool I bought and never used, I would be in complete shock. I don't recall ever buying a tool I didn’t use. It is possible, but I just don't recall one. In fact, I often regret not buying a tool. Or after I finally buy the tool, wished I had bought it years earlier. I am just too thrifty/cheap, I guess. I get separation anxiety when my money is separated from me.

Rick Potter
07-29-2023, 4:27 PM
I completely agree with you Christian. I can stretch a buck with the best of them, and because of that we have always been able to live a bit above our means.

Sometimes a deal comes along that is waay to good to pass up though, and that is how I end up with extra stuff I thought I would either use someday, or sell later. My 24" Agazzani band saw for $600 falls in that category, as do the aforementioned items.

My problem is knowing when to let go of them.

Tom M King
07-29-2023, 4:31 PM
I get to deduct tools, so that makes a difference. Also, most days when I start a day, I don't know what I'm going to do, or how I'm going to do it, but need to be equipped to do whatever it is. Like today, I got called to save an 18th Century granary that is going into the ground without some fast help.

Alan Lightstone
07-31-2023, 8:34 AM
I have a few in boxes that I wonder whether I should put on Craigslist. Plus a power feeder and sander that really need to be sold.

Not thrilled at the prospect of strangers coming to our home, plus with the pandemic even though I knew I'd get a good price, didn't want the exposure. So still they sit.