PDA

View Full Version : Looking for experienced opinion on jointer choice by 7/31/2023

Patrick LaCour
07-29-2023, 12:02 AM
I am buying my first jointer, after managing with a sled and shims on a planer, and borrowing time on a friends Powermatic. I'm trying to decide if buying the Powermatic PJ882 for $3000 would be the best use of my money over the Grizzly G0858 for about $2600. G0856 would be lower at $1995 (plus shipping? not clear) The deal of free shipping for Powermatic via Rockler ends July 31, 2023.
The G0858 has more features, and I'd still have to buy a mobile platform for the Powermatic, but is the anticipated quality difference worth it?

Thanks,
Pat

Bill Dufour
07-29-2023, 12:52 AM
Give us a hint. How wide are they and what horsepower. How wide do you need. Not much to go wrong on a jointer. I would look into used. How is your location for used jointers. How far are you willing to travel?
There are at least six 8" jointers near me for 750-1500 dollars. Yates, Delta, American , and grizzly
Bill D.
Northfield 12" for $3750 in Reno now.
https://reno.craigslist.org/tls/d/reno-northfield-12-hd-jointer/7640947633.html

Warren Lake
07-29-2023, 8:01 AM
same as Bill. first I had 8" general if doing it again would have started with an 8" Poitras as the base is not sheet steel. Dont like the noise from sheet steel. Have big stuff now but you can make a living any day on an 8" jointer and id buy used as well.

Phillip Mitchell
07-29-2023, 10:12 AM
I would also go used (and have.) Started with an 8” delta Invicta DJ20, which is a solid machine for its class. Eventually moved to a 12” Oliver with Terminus cutterhead. The cost of both of them together on the used market was a less than either of the new 8” models you are considering above.

These days it seems to be well known that hobby/prosumer level Powermatic and Grizzly (and others) are all likely made in the same factory and have different paint. Maybe different motors and possibly a few more QC points on the yellow paint…maybe.

Richard Coers
07-29-2023, 12:05 PM
Not much to go wrong on a jointer.
On a new one, you can get twisted fences, non flat tables, and out of alignment tables. Rattling base sheet metal can be solved with adhesive backed automotive insulation. I'd definitely go with Powermatic, but likely I will be the only person on this forum to say that. If you must go with Grizzly, look for the same thing at Shop Fox. Identical machine but longer warranty.

Robyn Horton
07-29-2023, 12:30 PM
You can also consider a combination machine like a Hammer A3-31 used or new

Patrick LaCour
07-29-2023, 12:30 PM
Thanks all for the quick replies. As was deduced from the group per Bill's original question, they are all 8". The Powermatic and G0858 are both parallelogram and the G0856 is dovetail. The Grizzlies are both helical head and the Powermatic straight knives. I've been looking on Craigslist and Facebook market for a few months and have not seen an 8" used around me (Dallas, TX area) out a few hundred miles. Reno would be hard to achieve. I find many 6" used, but no 8". Bed sizes are 72" (G0856), 76" (G0858), and 82" (Powermatic). Rockler also has a Jet JPJ-12B combo 12" jointer/planer for $3100 (straight knives, bed 55 1/2", presume dovetail). I honestly can't say what size I need, as I'm drawn in multiple directions. I've enjoyed building from raw lumber (furniture to date) and also considering going the path of harvesting raw lumber as the opportunity presents (I've done a few smallish projects). I'm going 8" as a friend suggested buying the max I could afford (and wish I had used available) but the price point of the combo would point to that following the same logic. However, same concerns over quality. My basic impression is that the quality hierarchy goes (lowest to highest) Grizzly, Shop Fox, Jet, Powermatic.

Warren Lake
07-29-2023, 1:01 PM
buying new is no gaurantee of straight, my 60 year old rode hard SCM is probably more true than new med level euro stuff. If you are a cabinet maker you can make a living with an 8" jointer. im talking furniture, kitchens etc. Depends on the work you do.

The sheet steel like my general bandsaw was lined with Dux seal over 40 years ago did the blade covers never did the base figured id make a better one. I just need to find a wholesaler for Dux seal 100 lbs at a time. The SCM saw is 1,300 lbs but ill still line the base (1/4 sheet steel) and a few other pieces as well.

Andrew Hughes
07-29-2023, 1:16 PM
My suggestion is to buy the same model jointer your friend has.
If you out grow it sell it and buy a bigger one.
Good Luck

Bill Dufour
07-29-2023, 7:17 PM
Dallas? the oliver is interesting 16" for only$2 ,500, probably babbitt bearings.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/d/crandall-grizzly-g1018-jointer/7648190016.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/d/dallas-16-hand-planer-and-jointer/7634677637.html

the oliver manual is dated 1916
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=932

Robert London
07-29-2023, 8:10 PM
Hey Pat, I personally wouldn’t spend $3000 for a straight knife planer with 2 hp. Seems like there’s a lot of other options out there.

Go helical and 3hp if you’re going to spend 3 grand. Most of these machines are duplicates of each other, with similar parts and quality. They’re made in the same factories.

If you’re buying brand new, stick with a Taiwan made machine and it’ll be better quality. Some of the cheaper Grizzly's are Chinese made and less for a reason.

ray grundhoefer
07-29-2023, 8:13 PM
I have a powermatic model 60 from the mid 60's. I would not trade it for a new one
I vote for used also

Keegan Shields
07-29-2023, 8:37 PM
Buy used, then once you know what you really want, consider a new machine. Lots of options pop up in Dallas/DFW.

I prefer a helical head, and parallelogram beds are easier to adjust. Cast iron fence is nice also.

Joseph Montroy
07-29-2023, 8:56 PM
I will second some thoughts here anyway: the helical head is worth it and used is the way to go for a jointer. I put in a helical head in my old 8"powermatic and couldn't be happier with it.

Sam E Miller
07-30-2023, 7:57 AM
Warren, tell us more about the whys and wherefors of Dux seal. Is it to dampen vibration and add weight?

Bill Dufour
07-30-2023, 9:45 AM
I assume dux seal is a mastic used to seal air ducts. Thus a heavy bodied paste to add Mass and dampen vibrations. I use water base roofing "tar". I used to have grafting seal which worked fine until I used it up. Not the tar based kind. Truck bed liner?
Bill D

glenn bradley
07-30-2023, 10:25 AM
I can only speak to my 17 years using a G0490X on a near-daily basis. A clone of the old Delta DJ-20 it is a solid design and has been completely trouble free. Noise from the sheet metal panels (if any) has never bothered me since I wear hearing protection as you always should. The air movement from my DC is louder than the machine.

andy bessette
07-30-2023, 11:16 AM
Buy a quality, used, long-bed machine. Helical is better, even if you have to convert.

Kent A Bathurst
07-30-2023, 4:38 PM
Buy a quality, used, long-bed machine. Helical is better, even if you have to convert.

Curious - Grizzly offers "spiral cutterhead". Is this equivalent in function/quality of cut to the Byrd Shelix? Seems it must be less costly given the total price of the jointer.

andy bessette
07-30-2023, 4:45 PM
Curious - Grizzly offers "spiral cutterhead". Is this equivalent in function/quality of cut to the Byrd Shelix? Seems it must be less costly given the total price of the jointer.

Based on all previous experience with Grizzly I cannot recommend them. Suggest you look for a quality used machine instead.

Warren Lake
07-30-2023, 4:51 PM
I always wear ear protection. The general was what it is then the SCM you turn it on and get a quiet hum. Totally different sound, different feel from the weight.

Patrick LaCour
07-30-2023, 6:33 PM
Dallas? the oliver is interesting 16" for only$2 ,500, probably babbitt bearings.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/d/crandall-grizzly-g1018-jointer/7648190016.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/d/dallas-16-hand-planer-and-jointer/7634677637.html

the oliver manual is dated 1916
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=932

Bill, thank you for the links! You are apparently either luckier than I or (more likely) more adept with Craigslist than I. The Oliver would indeed be an interesting one, but I don't think I could fit it into my shop. I've contacted the seller of the Grizzly G1018 and it seems like it would be a fine entry one, and potentially suit my needs for a very long time and at a much more enjoyable price. I definitely would rather put the money into wood than fancier/newer steel.

Andrew Hughes
07-30-2023, 7:39 PM
Good choice.
For your jointer you don’t want to mess with that Oliver it’s not a entry level machine.
If you get the grizzly before transporting look for the table lock mechanism on the infeed. It will be on opposite of The infeed. And lock it by moving the table until the pin drops in.I also recommend don’t lift the machine from the ends of the tables. Middle or bottom yes ends no.
Good Luck

glenn bradley
07-30-2023, 7:50 PM
Again, just speaking from my experience. I used a G0490X with what grizzly offered back in 2007 or 2008. It was not a Byrd but a German made head of some sort with 40 cutters in four overlapping spirals. I got to compare the Grizz head in a G0490X and a Byrd in another 8" Griz machine side by side. I could find no difference in the feel of the operation or in the result.

Kent A Bathurst
07-30-2023, 8:28 PM
Thanks, Glenn. That’s the hands-on experience I was looking for

Kent

Bill Dufour
07-31-2023, 2:14 AM
Smallest U-haul trailer is $28/24 hours with insurance. Buy some harbor fright load straps and go to town.
Bill D

Warren Lake
07-31-2023, 2:31 AM
bill I believe so can get it big box store though we used to buy it wholesale in five lb pugs. Now smaller quantity maybe a lb forgotten but have it in the shop one sample I got. sticky and put it any build where you want. They ordered stuff for me and what came was a brush on one forget that it will never work as well you dont get the build up.

This saw is solid but there are a few panels I can make a sound and ill still do the base as well. weight makes all the difference in machines, every heavy machine is nicer to use. I think Patrick said his martin weighed 3,500 lbs if I remember correctly like to feel how smooth that would be. Im using a general cabinet saw same time for the odd thing nothing set up on it just the mitre gauge. saw works fine but its not the same thing.

John Arthore
07-31-2023, 2:42 AM
So, Who is the winner or you are still deciding?

George Yetka
07-31-2023, 7:30 AM
Dont allow that date to dictate your choice. They go on sale at Woodcraft/rockler every other month.

Used market is a good spot for these machines in your price range. I would say go as wide as you can afford. If not helical something that can be swapped for helical later. I lucked out a while back needing both a jointer and an upgrade for my lunchbox planer my budget for both allowed for a Hammer JP combo. If you have a decent Planer you could sell that and add to your budget. ive seen them go for 4,000 in excelent condition. They are definitely not in the budget new. Some people here like old/some like new. I would go with something you like, that you can easily get parts for, and if its straight blade make sure they are not crazy expensive.

James Jayko
07-31-2023, 8:19 AM
FWIW I have a Grizzly G1018 that I bought used and it has worked very well for me. I added the Shellix head and it really is a good jointer.

I've heard that some folks have had issues with the 1018, so I'd give it a test drive. But mine has been a delight. YMMV.

Ronald Blue
07-31-2023, 11:10 AM

I put a 6" Grizzly spiral head on a 6" Jet jointer a couple years ago. It came out of their scratch and dent room. ZERO issues with it and it has worked flawlessly. Interestingly enough I picked up a Delta DJ-20 and bought a Byrd head for it from Grizzly and you can find the kudo's to them in another thread. The large bearing step on the Byrd was .020 oversize. Grizzly made it right and the head is now installed. It's safe to say that you absolutely can't tell the difference between the finish of the Grizzly head and the Byrd Shelix. I know it was a fluke the Byrd head had issues but the point is those who think that you are guaranteed better results if you pay more are sadly mistaken.

Kent A Bathurst
07-31-2023, 2:41 PM
Gratzi, Ronald

Michael Burnside
07-31-2023, 4:33 PM
I have the helical head version of the PJ882 (PJ882HH) and I love it. I did a lot of research and that's where I ended up. It has milled a lot of board feet and still cuts smooth and is dead level. Very well built machine and was ready to go right out of the box. The PJ882 is made of the same bones, so based on personal experience, I'd choose the PJ882. Some of the others mentioned seem good too, I just cannot speak to them with direct experience.

Alex Zeller
08-01-2023, 7:30 AM
I'm a fan of the used market but I'm not a fan of waiting and hoping to find something that fits my needs. It's a balance. I was about to give up and buy a new straight blade Grizzly 8" Taiwanese parallelogram jointer when I found a used PJ882HH with the mobile base for sale not too far away. It was right in the middle of the pandemic so people weren't travelling much. That allowed me to get it. Had it been a year earlier or later and I think it would have been gone before I could have made the trip to pick it up.

What I have learned is 2HP is more than enough for an 8" jointer. I've never lacked power. Both the tables and fence are very flat. I have plenty of Grizzly tools but I feel they aren't machined to the same level as the Powermatic. For example my 1033X planer has a .003 bow across the 20" infeed table. Not enough to impact anything I do but the powermatic is so flat I can't slide a .002 feeler gauge when I put a straight edge over the length of the tables.

If buying new you have the option to reject or return it. Buying from a local store, like Rockler, makes it even easier. Grizzly will work with you to fix anything they sell but you need to do the work. I believe Powermatic will send someone out to do the work.

I've tried to buy used more than once only to drive most of the way to see something before getting a text saying "sorry, I just sold it". If it's a great deal it'll sell quickly. If it isn't then is it worth driving far to buy it?

Warren Lake
08-01-2023, 5:50 PM
sam just see your post now its both to dampen and does add weight but its mostly to dampen. My general bandsaw had a ring drone all the time so lined both the covers in some amount of weight maybe 15 lbs cant remember split between the two it went quiet. The base I couild have done but was going to weld one then ended up putting it up with it. the general jointer the base just flaps in the wind. Turn on the SCM after and you dont want to go back to the general even though it works fine.