PDA

View Full Version : Carbide insert router bits

Brent Bell
07-28-2023, 11:40 PM
Hello all, I need to replace my 2 inch straight double bearing flush trim bit. I use this bit with a plywood jig to make chair legs - after I rough cut them to shape on the bandsaw. I've been using regular two-flute straight bits for this because they are inexpensive. I tried using the Infinity mega spiral bit in my router table but it caused so much vibration it was completely unsafe.

I have seen carbide insert router flush trim bits that look like they would work well and am wondering if anyone has used them and can let me know what they think. Do these bits produce a smooth surface? One I saw was sold by FindBuyToll but there are others as well.

Thanks.

Richard Coers
07-28-2023, 11:53 PM
The ones advertised on Facebook? It would be nice for someone to be the guinea pig.

Jared Sankovich
07-29-2023, 8:41 AM
I have the one of the 50mm cmt bits. They work well in handheld applications so imho no vibration.

glenn bradley
07-29-2023, 9:53 AM
If the Infinity bit was vibrating it was defective or your router has an issue. I would not expect a no-name bit to do better than the Infinity(???). Does the Infinity vibrate in another router setup? I would pursue that. I know this is no immediate help with your question but what you describe could point to a future problem.

Warren Lake
07-29-2023, 10:58 AM
Id figure out jigs and hold the router in my hands. Then I can climb cut or have freedom in movement you cant on a router table. Vibration from the router is transmitted to the whole table.

Richard Coers
07-29-2023, 11:47 AM
A cheaper alternative to insert flush trim would be a larger diameter flush trim. My main trimming bit is a 1 1/4" Freud 50-126. Night and day difference to long 1/2" diameter bits. If you really want the 2" cutting height, get the 50-138

Warren Lake
07-29-2023, 1:06 PM
type makes a difference as well did tons of patternmaking with spiral 1/4" onsrud bits no would be able to tell if it was machined on those or a shaper with a big head. That cause I could climb cut and then forward and take of the tiny bit remaining.

Brent Bell
07-29-2023, 1:40 PM
If the Infinity bit was vibrating it was defective or your router has an issue. I would not expect a no-name bit to do better than the Infinity(???). Does the Infinity vibrate in another router setup? I would pursue that. I know this is no immediate help with your question but what you describe could point to a future problem.

Yes, the Mega bit I had was definitely defective. I put a very large raised panel bit in my router table and there was no vibration at all. But with the Mega bit it vibrated so much that the lift raised on its own. I sent videos to Infinity but they denied it was defective. This is why I am still using the run of the mill straight two flute flush trim bits. But I will check out all the recommendations I got here. I am intrigued by the carbide insert bits because they work so well in my planer and jointer.

Warren Lake
07-29-2023, 1:52 PM
did you bottom out the bit when you put it in. Likely not but comes to mind to not do that if so. I cant see panel raising bits in routers too big tooling to spin in those things.

Terry Therneau
07-29-2023, 11:10 PM
On my current build (bow front chest) I decided to use the Whitehead combi head (shapter) for pattern routing, I expected the larger diameter would be better (125mm = 4.9 in), but had not expected just how much better it was: smooth as a baby's bottom. It uses diagonal carbide knives.
Terry