PDA

View Full Version : Using a machine to make neander things

Jason Buresh
07-28-2023, 11:31 PM
So I recently got a lathe and I have been trying to learn how to use it. I have been going through firewood from my garage trying to turn different things. I remembered in a box of cheap tools I had found a bunch of socket chisels with no handles, and was able to hunt them down in my shop. Tonights project was to turn a replacement handle, and while I was at it, I managed to make a mallet out of a maple log I had laying around.

Jim Koepke
07-29-2023, 2:16 AM
Looking good.

jtk

Reed Gray
07-29-2023, 11:04 AM
I made one handle for a timber framing chisel. To fit the handle into the socket, I would push back the tailstock, and then put the end of the handle into the socket with the lathe on at slow speed. The burn/burnish marks told me where I needed to remove more wood. I did leave 1/8 inch plus for the wood to compress as the chisel was hammered. Have fun with your lathe. I have a bunch of bowl turning videos up on You Tube if you go that direction...

robo hippy

Edward Weber
07-29-2023, 6:30 PM
I ahree, looking good.
I find it very satisfying to make your own tools when you can.

Tom Bender
08-01-2023, 6:44 PM
Some years ago, woodworking was starting to get a little boring. Then my MIL bought me a lathe. It made all the difference! I never use it much, maybe a few times a year, but at that time it opened a door and reinvigorated my hobby. Going on that momentum I tried more things and it continues today.

Axel de Pugey
08-01-2023, 7:15 PM
To add to Tom Bender's comment, the arrival of a lathe in my shop changed my view on the "scrap box'content".
I since could use so much more pieces of wood discarded before, literally everything can be used now.

Edward Weber
08-01-2023, 7:26 PM
I originally got a lathe so I could make things for regular "flat work".
Turned elements like finials, feet and so on, was all I was looking to do. It soon took off into something of it's own.

Jim Koepke
08-02-2023, 6:11 PM
My lathe was bought to make handles for socket chisel purchased on-line or at yard sales. It has since been used for many other things.

One of my favorite mallets had the handle turned on my somewhat primitive Craftsman lathe.

It is the one on the right.

jtk