PDA

View Full Version : wood scrap storage?

larry merlau
02-01-2006, 10:00 AM
i like most of you, have acquired a growing supply of cutoffs that i cant seem to let go off thinking that it will come in handy on the next project. i would like your ideas of how you store your leftovers, pics would be great for some idea's am trying to get alittle organzed if its possible and at the same time gain some space and make better use of what i have. plywood or lumber both need a new home. thanks for your ideas.

John M. Cioffi
02-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi Larry,

Here's what I came up with for my needs. This is my own design.
Hope this helps.
John

Jim Becker
02-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Larry, I've been using a metal trash can as a cut-off bin for a long time, but am a lot more selective about what I keep any more. The box that John shows, or similar, is a great way to deal with these items...the only reason I don't have one is pure lazyness... ;)

Frank Pellow
02-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi Larry,

Here's what I came up with for my needs. This is my own design.
Hope this helps.
John
Your bin looks better than the old cardboard boxes that I am using John. I think that I might make one like it -but I would put wheels on mine.

aside: just about everything in my shop has to be on wheels.

Gary Herrmann
02-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Larry, I've been using a metal trash can as a cut-off bin for a long time, but am a lot more selective about what I keep any more. The box that John shows, or similar, is a great way to deal with these items...the only reason I don't have one is pure lazyness... ;)

Geez, Jim. I'd never do that.

Mines plastic.

Bob Oehler
02-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I too use a old cardboard box and some space under my chop saw. As the winter rolls on the storage gets cleaned out as fires are build. I can rehandle all the scraps and decide who lives and who burns in the wood stove.

Nice figured and/or decent sized pices goe back into a cardboard box the rest
Burn baby burn :eek:

take care
Bob Oehler

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2006, 11:27 AM
I use a couple of 35 gallon trash cans. As I'm working on the ceiling of my new shop, I move them from one side of the shop to the other to get them out of the way?

Andy Hoyt
02-01-2006, 11:39 AM
I have numerous stragically located piles in various corners, nooks, and crannies in the shop. It's a freakin' mess!

John M. Cioffi
02-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Frank,

How could someone even THINK about something - without wheels?!?!
I can swivel it around the shop;except that it is now jammed & heavy. It sits flat against the south wall,in its own spot.
Everything must have wheels.

Common guys - get rid of those cans & get bin-building!!
Happy rolling.
John

Wes Bischel
02-01-2006, 12:28 PM
I have numerous stragically located piles in various corners, nooks, and crannies in the shop. It's a freakin' mess!
:eek: :D :D :D
Same here - though it's one pile - but still a freakin' mess!! It did start as a nice neat plastic tote bin - the bin is in there somewhere - I think:o

Wes

Frank Pellow
02-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Frank,

How could someone even THINK about something - without wheels?!?!
I can swivel it around the shop;except that it is now jammed & heavy. It sits flat against the south wall,in its own spot.
Everything must have wheels.

Common guys - get rid of those cans & get bin-building!!
Happy rolling.
John
I am confused by your response John. Does your cart have wheels or doesn't it? I certainly don't see any in the picture.

David Duke
02-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Heres what I done.
http://www.woodworking-galleries.org/gallery/data/media/67/Shop_Photos_014.jpg

Frank Pellow
02-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Heres what I done.
http://www.woodworking-galleries.org/gallery/data/media/67/Shop_Photos_014.jpg
WOW! That's what I call organized, David.

Dan Rider
02-01-2006, 1:10 PM
I keep smaller peices stacked on two shelves. I've never really been happy with this system, because invariably I end up with curved, tapered, or triangular cutoffs that don't stack very well. It can turn into a big mess in no time, yet I can't bring myself to throw some pieces out. I keep saying, "Maybe oneday I'll build..."

Charlie Plesums
02-01-2006, 1:21 PM
I use a couple of 35 gallon trash cans. As I'm working on the ceiling of my new shop, I move them from one side of the shop to the other to get them out of the way?
Now that you are a turner, those cans will empty fast. Anything down to 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 1/2 is called a pen blank. Anything down to 3/4 x 2 x 2 is considered a bowl blank (yes, people like those tiny bowls, and they are great practice). Pieces smaller than that can be glued up before turning.

I do have a trash can for "designer firewood" for my son...captive rings on spindles make great kindling. And if you blow through the bottom of a bowl (everyone does it at least once) it is either called a funnel or kindling.

John M. Cioffi
02-01-2006, 3:48 PM
Frank,

Yes it does have wheels.
I used a piece of 3/4" ply to install them on to add strength. They are skirted, so the cart floats about an inch or so above the floor.
Have no fear....wheels are us!

Bob Johnson2
02-01-2006, 4:33 PM
I've got a good size old steaner trunk outside the shop door where I can get to it. I do periodically clean it out as it fills much faster then emptying. Cleaning amounts to a couple nights of reading in front of the fireplace.

Eric Shields
02-01-2006, 4:39 PM
David, that is a great idea. Mind if I use it, though it will be a while until I actually get to build anything like it.

Steve Clardy
02-01-2006, 5:27 PM
I've got three 12x36 metal shelves by my radial arm saw, crammed full.:( Radial arm saw has storage underneath, crammed full. Shelves behind my hydraulic copy lathe, full:(
Shelves by and under my chop saw station, full.
I use several cardboard barrels around the shop, for cutoffs that I know that are going in the wood stove. When these get full, it gets transferred to cardboard boxes, saved for the woodstove.
Then I have 5 plastic 55 gallon barrels that get rolled outside and stored by the shop firewood.
Guess I don't really throw any of it away.
Just like yesterday, I was building 4 poplar cabinet doors, and ran out of poplar stock. Got to digging around and came up with enough to finish the doors.:)

Steve Ash
02-01-2006, 5:59 PM
Larry,
Not a problem...next time I'm over to your shop you can just throw all that rubbish in the back of my truck....give me a $100.00 and I'll haul it away for you. :)

larry merlau
02-03-2006, 7:43 AM
Larry,
Not a problem...next time I'm over to your shop you can just throw all that rubbish in the back of my truck....give me a $100.00 and I'll haul it away for you. :)

the next time you come over steve i am going to have a cover charge, YOUR starting to be a expensive hobby.

)steve Clardy( i am somewhat in your boat but i too have saved the day by going to he short box to get what i needed. that why i havnt burned it but when it gets thinned out to real junk then it becomes kindling and warms me once more. thanks to all that have replied and those slide out trays get the best grde in my eyes thus far. now for the lumber storage verticle or horizontal which is best and ideas for such would be nice to see, i presently have a horizontla versin pipe and 2x4 supports but makes sorting a pain the lumber store around me have it verticle is that the best way for you folks?

Tim Devery
02-03-2006, 8:02 AM
I use my scraps as nature intended, Burn them in my Woodstove.:D

Matt Meiser
02-03-2006, 8:12 AM
I have a bin like John's that I use for anything over 2' long. For shorter pieces, I bought a metal shelving unit at Sams that is about 3' wide, 1' deep, and 6' high. I stack good pieces that are smaller than 2' long on that shelving unit. If it is shorter than 1' or less than about 2" wide, I consider it scrap. For the scrap, I have a metal bin my my TS and a metal trash can by my miter saw. I empty those into a couple plastic 55gal drums I keep in my storage area, and burn it when I have time.

Steve Rowe
02-03-2006, 11:07 AM
I used to do this. Built a rollaround card for vertical storage of scrap. I discovered that I seldom or never used them so I burned the scrap (with the exception of exotics) and destroyed the cart to remove all temptation for keeping scrap again.

Mike Parzych
02-03-2006, 12:35 PM
I built a simple "pigeon hole" rack out of 2x4's and ply that sits up right against the wall, mounted wheels on the bottom. The pigeon holes let's me seperate by species. It's 24" deep. I have a similar 6' long set-up for longer stuff, with the 6' length horizontal to the wall - 18" deep.

Chris Giles
02-03-2006, 5:58 PM
I have a couple of friends that use wood-burning stoves. Boy, are they appreciative during winter! Is it me, or my off-cuts???:confused: