PDA

View Full Version : Running a fuel transfer pump off a cig lighter

brad hays
07-27-2023, 11:04 PM
I just got a small 12V fuel transfer pump from Amazon and am wondering if it can run off the cigarette lighter plug in the dash. I'm doubting it as the plate says it draws 6 amps and the pump is wired with post clamps to be hooked directly to the battery.

What would happen if I traded the clamps for a male 12v cig adapter, plugged it into the dash and used it to transfer fuel?

Doug Garson
07-27-2023, 11:22 PM
Can you locate which fuse feeds the cig lighter? If it is 6 amps or bigger you should be OK.

Tom M King
07-28-2023, 7:04 AM
I use marine batteries (plenty of choices around here) in the tractors since they have the extra terminals for such things, and use sae connectors for the transfer pump. No trouble since changing to that system. Switch in the line to the pump that's right at hand when I'm standing on a front tire to fill a tank. There are Many choices on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/SPARKING-Terminal-Harness-Disconnect-Assembly/dp/B074BS8B14/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3OI6G3CWO9JTW&keywords=sae+plug+with+in+line+fuse+12+gauge&qid=1690542055&sprefix=sae+plug+with+fuse%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-3

Bill Howatt
07-28-2023, 9:52 AM
A problem can be that what looks like a cigarette lighter outlet isn't a cigarette lighter outlet - it's an accessory outlet for powering things like phone chargers etc and has a lower current fuse. This was how a vehicle I had was setup. I think the old lighter fuses used to run about 20A.
As was suggested by Doug Carson, check the fuse for the outlet.

Jim Koepke
07-28-2023, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure but I don't think my truck has a cigarette lighter outlet. It has 120v outlets and usb plugs. It also doesn't have any ash trays.

Unless there is a problem with using the clips, changing them out for a plug that may soon be obsolete would give me reason to rethink this.

jtk

Jim Becker
07-28-2023, 12:37 PM
Get a pigtail that has clips you can put on the battery on one end and the 12v Accessory receptacle on the other (check amp rating)

Mike Cutler
07-28-2023, 12:46 PM
If the fuse for the lighter is greater than 6 amps, they're usually 15-20 for a lighter, and you use the appropriate sized wore, you should be fine.

Do yourself a favor though and put a 6 amp fuse in series with your lighter adapter pigtail. This way, if there is a problem, you're going to pop your inline fuse first.

The only "hitch" I see is that the initial current draw to start the pump running may be quite a bit higher than 6 amps.

Jim Koepke
07-28-2023, 4:09 PM
The only "hitch" I see is that the initial current draw to start the pump running may be quite a bit higher than 6 amps.

Fuses can usually survive an initial inrush of current like a motor start. In the "olden days" when installing a washing machine in older homes we would also check the fuse box and install "slo blow" fuses in the circuit to the wash room to avoid fuses blowing when the motor started.

I know there used to be slow blow fuses available for inline fuse holders.

A quick search shows they are still available > slow blow fuse inline fuse transfer pump motor <

jtk