PDA

View Full Version : Internet Sales Scams

Joe Pelonio
02-01-2006, 9:27 AM
A while back I was made well aware of the frequency of internet scams when someone wanted to order a lot of custom cupholders for classic cars from me. Supposedly he had a classic car dealership in Canada and was going to pay in advance by cashier's check. I told him (e-mail) that I would wait until the check had cleared plus 10 days before starting to make them and never heard from him again. Now I'm selling my '72 El Camino and have ads on several internet classic car sites. I rec'd an e-mail from a guy offering to pay full price by cashier's check. When I looked up the IP address it came up "unable to locate". I responded and showed some scepticism. His answer was trying to assure me it was a legitimate offer and asked for more pics, and said he was in New Jersey. I checked again and this time his ip was different, and came up as in London. Also, he gave his phone number as 206 area code which is Seattle. This appears to be a scam where people issue a counterfit cashier's check but most of the time ask to write it for more than the price and send them the difference, and normally that part comes late in the transaction. My
question is, anyone else have this kind of experience, and how can you tell if a cashier's check is legit? I'm now inclined to only sell it locally and just blow off anyone from out of the area.

Jerry Clark
02-01-2006, 9:53 AM
Joe, you cannot tell if a cashier check is good and a bank will have to process it to have it verified. I have heard of banks charging for a Cashier Check that was junk! This is a scam that has been going on for a long time. It must work as they keep doing it. :rolleyes: Be very careful!:D

Joe Pelonio
02-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I guess I was right about this one being a scam, here's part of his latest e-mail. Naturally I told him where to go and have reported it.
He also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashiers check of $18,950 , Which will cover thecost of the Vehicle, and also the cost of shippment.So you are required to deduct the cost of your Vehicle $11,950 when payment gets to you and refund balance $7,000 to the Agent (our shiper ) for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.