PDA

View Full Version : Noob woodworker-first bandsaw question

John Piatt
07-26-2023, 10:20 AM
Greetings all.
Organizing my first workshop for woodworking in a very small space in my small shop.
So FB online is a 28-203 52-965 Delta 14.
I'd like to consider the riser block after some time getting experience.

Two hour drive into Alabama. $450 good condition with mobile base and several blades- 1 is new.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and question recommendations to ask seller.
I can afford more if better options.

Thank you.
John
Dayton, Tn

Jerry Kitzhoffer
07-26-2023, 10:23 AM
Good saw. Ok price.

John Kananis
07-26-2023, 10:33 AM
Imho, that's quite a bit for a (used) little 14 inch delta. And as far as the riser block, meh. You're going to be asking a lot of that little motor and the saw can't tension a very wide blade. 1/2 inch max.

Greetings all.
Organizing my first workshop for woodworking in a very small space in my small shop.
So FB online is a 28-203 52-965 Delta 14.
I'd like to consider the riser block after some time getting experience.

Two hour drive into Alabama. $450 good condition with mobile base and several blades- 1 is new.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and question recommendations to ask seller.
I can afford more if better options.

Thank you.
John
Dayton, Tn

John TenEyck
07-26-2023, 10:36 AM
I agree with Jerry. It's a good saw for general use. I've had one for 30 years and use it on almost every project. The price is about right these days. They used to be able to be had for less, and probably will be again when people start holding back on spending, but if you want it now that's probably what you'll have to pay for any that's in good shape. Hopefully, this one has a 1 hp motor on it. If it has a closed stand then the price is pretty good.

John

Randy Heinemann
07-26-2023, 10:47 AM
I don't know much about the saw itself but, for me, there would be a couple of things I'd look for before spending any money on a used saw:

1. If you want to use the saw for resawing, a motor less than 1 HP is probably not useful. Since one of the responses above seems to question the motor size, I'd be sure about that before making the trip. My 14" Rikon bandsaw has a 1 1/2 HP motor and I feel that anything less than that would make resawing a very slow and, with harder woods, difficult process. It can be done though. It's just more difficult.

2. When seeing the saw in person, I'd be sure that you can get the blade to track properly with the gullets in the center of the upper wheel.
3. I'd also be sure that the guides, etc., are in working condition or you will need to replace those after buying.
4. The tires on the wheels should be inspected to make sure there is no damage and no excessive wear or, again, they will need to be replaced.
5. Turn it on, cut with it (or watch the owner if you aren't comfortable with the saw. Especially have him use it to resaw a board (maybe bring a 1" thick or more 18" long or more board along to see what happens when you try to resaw it in half.

You might as well know that you should probably replace the blade when you get it home so there should be an instruction manual so that you have some idea how to do that. For resawing, a 1/2" 3TPI blade is good. You will need to know what length the blade is for that saw.

These are just based on what I would do. Good luck. Seems like a reasonable price as long as everything works.

John Kananis
07-26-2023, 10:51 AM
Goodness, really? These were available on cl all the time for like 200 bucks for the longest time. Wow, how things have changed.

John Piatt
07-26-2023, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
Given the cost, the foreseen costs to make quality resawing feasible, and the unknowns, it seems prudent to pass on this saw.

I'll keep researching and looking- adequate for the job quality used or new on sale.
John

I can only imagine at this point, but I think a saw able to resaw 10-12" boards without struggling....

Dave Sabo
07-26-2023, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
Given the cost, the foreseen costs to make quality resawing feasible, and the unknowns, it seems prudent to pass on this saw.

I'll keep researching and looking- adequate for the job quality used or new on sale.
John

I can only imagine at this point, but I think a saw able to resaw 10-12" boards without struggling....

12” resaw is pretty big ,especially for a hobbyist. Do you have a 12” jointer and planer, or a wide belt sander ? Better up you budget to at least $1500 also.

Edward Weber
07-26-2023, 11:25 AM
If you're new to woodworking and/or bandsaws, a 14" Delta or Asian import clone are great saws to have. I agree with all of the above. These are not HD machines and wanting to resaw 10"-12" boards will require a much larger platform with minimum of 2 hp.

I have a 14" Asian import that still gets daily use after 20 years of service, even though I have a larger saw as well.
You can do quite a lot with these little saws but the price, configuration and condition need to be right.

John Kananis
07-26-2023, 11:45 AM
Truth be told, I got rid of my 14" Asian clone when I got the 14bx but I kind of wish I kept it with a 1/4" blade installed.

If you're new to woodworking and/or bandsaws, a 14" Delta or Asian import clone are great saws to have. I agree with all of the above. These are not HD machines and wanting to resaw 10"-12" boards will require a much larger platform with minimum of 2 hp.

I have a 14" Asian import that still gets daily use after 20 years of service, even though I have a larger saw as well.
You can do quite a lot with these little saws but the price, configuration and condition need to be right.

Bill Dufour
07-26-2023, 11:55 AM
Easy to. spend over $100 on a few blades, then get the riser block, and all those blades are no use to you.
Bill D

andy bessette
07-26-2023, 12:11 PM
That is a fair price on a good saw. But it is not for resawing 12" boards. For that you need a larger machine.

John TenEyck
07-26-2023, 12:59 PM
My 14" Delta has a riser on it and a 1.5 hp motor. With a 1/2" 3 tpi blade I sliced hundreds of feet of 10" veneer with it, slowly, so it can be done. If you are just starting out that saw will do most anything you want up about 10". If you have immediate plans to start resawing 8" and wider you would be better off with a steel frame saw with a larger motor. I bought a larger BS with a 5 HP motor just for resawing and slicing veneer, but I kept the Delta and mostly have a 3/8" blade on it. Between the two, the Delta gets more use.

John

John Piatt
07-26-2023, 1:04 PM
Thanks for the comments...addressing realities of my skill level and saw potentials.
Much to think on- determine my true intentions.

Sam Force
07-26-2023, 3:24 PM
I would consider this saw, I have the 35th edition and am very pleased

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-17-2-hp-bandsaw-40th-anniversary-edition/g0513a40

Dave Sabo
07-26-2023, 6:03 PM
Thanks for the comments...addressing realities of my skill level and saw potentials.
Much to think on- determine my true intentions.

your skill is likely to improve faster than the rate at which you can aquire bandsaws at a reasonable price

Richard Coers
07-26-2023, 9:32 PM
When you consider no sales tax, it's way better than buying new. I don't ever see those under $400 here in Central IL. Biggest thing to check is the top wheel tracking hinge. Too many folks over tighten these and bend them. If you are just starting out, just how often do you think you will be resawing 12" boards? Do you even have the machinery to surface and work with 12" boards? I'd go get it and start making dust.

John Piatt
07-27-2023, 5:47 AM
Thanks again fellas for the valuable input.

I don't know the full extent of my interest; love to discover and create.
I am building alongside my wood craft interests a metal working shop; ok... it's lean-to with siding for walls attached to my 12x20' workshop.
I want to make unique items like wood and metal furniture with repurposed wood and scrap metal. My small coffee bar is where I'll put my creations as I learn.

61 y/o and plan to be good at something by retirement in 5-10 years.

Looking to buy once- 1.5 hp minimum with ability to resaw 10-12".

Thanks again for sharing.
John

Jim Becker
07-27-2023, 10:20 AM
John, something at 1.5hp isn't really ideal for that kind of resawing. I have a 3.8hp, 240v, heavy steel frame European bandsaw with 12" resaw capability and if I go that tall, I have to go really, really slow. So for "buy once", it's best to shoot for bigger/heavier so it can efficiently do what you want it to do. You can cut small things on a big saw, but it's "mo difficult" to cut big things on a small saw. :)

andy bessette
07-27-2023, 10:34 AM
...ability to resaw 10-12"...

Then look for 16" or larger, and preferably a machine that is capable of tensioning a 1" blade. And several horsepower. A MinMax would be a good choice. I use a 20" Agazzani for resawing.

John Piatt
07-27-2023, 10:48 AM
Thoughts on this saw:
Grizzly G0555XH - 14" 1-3/4 HP Extreme Series Resaw Bandsaw

While I don't know the future uses, I can't see needing to resaw even 10-12" very often.

Thanks.
John

John Kananis
07-27-2023, 11:04 AM
Not a bad saw at all. What's your actual budget?

This is certainly biased as I own one but I can't think of a better 14" saw than a laguna 14bx. Plenty of power at 2.5hp, plenty of resaw capacity when needed, steel frame, foot brake, etc but compact at the same time.

Edit: I'm recommending this only because you seem to be navigating towards a 14 inch saw. Go as big as you can imho. I used an Asian clone for decades before getting the laguna and I thought it would be the last saw I would ever need (and it 'can' be I guess) but I would like a larger saw as well eventually.

Randy Heinemann
07-27-2023, 12:27 PM
As I said before, I own a 14" Rikon. It has an 11" resaw capacity (so not 12"), although I think the newer comparable 14" Rikon's do have a bit more resaw capacity. Unless you want to resaw 12" boards everyday, I wouldn't agree that a larger saw is necessary. My Rikon has a 1 1/2 HP motor and that has been sufficient when I've resawn 8"-10" boards. A good sharp 3 TPI blade and some attention to setup are the most important things. I would agree that a saw with a 1/2 HP motor is going to struggle. I'd also agree that, to get a saw that will handle 8"+ boards easily the cost will be higher than the used Delta.

The other comment made which makes sense is that you will need some way to smooth/flatten the resawn face of veneer or boards. That means owning equipment like a jointer, planer, or drum sander which sufficient capacity to handle the width. None of these tools are inexpensive and it can be hard to find a good used one of any of these tools, especially a drum sander.

Richard Coers
07-27-2023, 12:43 PM
Thanks again fellas for the valuable input.

I don't know the full extent of my interest; love to discover and create.
I am building alongside my wood craft interests a metal working shop; ok... it's lean-to with siding for walls attached to my 12x20' workshop.
I want to make unique items like wood and metal furniture with repurposed wood and scrap metal. My small coffee bar is where I'll put my creations as I learn.

61 y/o and plan to be good at something by retirement in 5-10 years.

Looking to buy once- 1.5 hp minimum with ability to resaw 10-12".

Thanks again for sharing.
John
Putting a 16" bandsaw into a 12x20 shop is going to gobble up a ton of space. Also you will need methods to machine those 12" boards. Very few 12" boards come flat and straight. You need to set some priorities in what you can actually work on in your space. Fill it up with machinery for wood and metal work, and you have no place to swing a board. What you want, and what you can fit is going to be a competition. I will say you can resaw a single 12" wide board on a 14" saw with a 1/2" blade. But it will be slow and the blade has to be impeccably sharp. But doing a dozen boards will be a huge task.

andy bessette
07-27-2023, 1:22 PM
Thoughts on this saw:
Grizzly G0555XH - 14" 1-3/4 HP Extreme Series Resaw Bandsaw...

Keep looking.

Alex Zeller
07-27-2023, 3:17 PM
The first thing you need to understand a bandsaw isn't like most other equipment in a shop. Going larger doesn't mean it taking up a lot more space. Unless you are budget constrained I would look for a steel frame saw, not cast iron. The cast iron Deltas and clones do what they are designed to do but you can run into their limits pretty easily. I had a 14" clone and was happy until I decided to treat myself to a real bandsaw. I can't believe the amount of time I wasted working with the old saw's limits. At 60+ I would want to get busy learning and making things, not learning how to work within the limits of a tool. That being said if your projects are going to be small things, like jewelry boxes then a 14" cast iron is all you need.

Do you have 240v in your shop or are you limited to 120v? That also will make a difference. With 240v you have more options. If it was me I would go with the 17" 40th an Grizzly over their 14" Extreme cast iron saw.

John Piatt
07-27-2023, 3:41 PM
I have 220.
Thanks for sharing guys.

John Piatt
07-27-2023, 3:48 PM
I looked at 40th anniversary grizzly again.
I have some time it seems to ponder this one.

Thanks again.
John

Sam Force
07-27-2023, 5:51 PM
As mentioned I have the 35th addition, I also have a 14 inch delta with riser block. There is no comparison between the two. I can run a 1inch blade on the Grizzly or I can run a 1/4 inch. I would not throw money away with the higher priced 14 inch Grizzly

Mike King
07-27-2023, 5:55 PM
I looked at 40th anniversary grizzly again.
I have some time it seems to ponder this one.

Thanks again.
John

John, excuse me for butting in here, but if you are a NOOB, I seriously doubt that you will be resawing boards that are 12" wide. If fact, I'd bet that if you do resaw boards, they are unlikely be be more than 6-8" wide. Michael Fortune, one of the premier furniture woodworkers in the world, resaws on a 15" 1974 General saw with a 1/2hp motor. Sure, you can go big, buy a big bandsaw, spend lots of money on it, but in reality a more modest saw will serve you just fine as long as you learn how to set it up, buy and use the right blade, and learn how to saw to the line.

As you are just starting out, it would be unwise, IMO, to buy a lot of expensive equipment, like a 12"+ jointer and planer, when you still are figuring out what type of woodworking projects you are interested in, let alone whether your interest in woodworking is transitory or not. I've been woodworking for 40+ years, and for 33 of those the biggest bandsaw I had was a 10" Inca. Now I have a big bandsaw with a 15+" resaw capability, and I still use my little 10" bandsaw almost as much as the big Felder bandsaw.

I'm happy to spend your money for you, but think carefully about your exploration of the craft. The fact is that the small Delta saw would be a great bandsaw and there will be no reason to get rid of it should you upgrade -- multiple bandsaws is one place that multiple tools are really valuable.

Mike

Jim Becker
07-27-2023, 7:25 PM
Putting a 16" bandsaw into a 12x20 shop is going to gobble up a ton of space.
Not sure I really agree this is a problem. In fact, I think many folks with smaller shops could benefit from a beefier bandsaw, given how versatile the machine is and the relatively small increase in footprint between a 14" saw and a heavier 16" saw isn't "yuge". But it really comes down to what someone wants to do. I do agree that if one is resawing wide material, there needs to be a plan in place for flattening and thicknessing it; either with machinery or hand tools. But this is also where a jointer/thicknesser combo can be very beneficial for the small shop owner who likes wide boards. :)

John Piatt
07-27-2023, 7:40 PM
Mike,
Thank you for your counsel; it is good no doubt. I'm basing my decision now about this piece of machinery as if it's the only one I'll ever need. And you may be absolutely correct that I'll never need to resaw over 6 or 8"...but I do plan to. My shop is too small to have the ability to house two saws- that would be nice admittedly.

Besides the many more usual woodworking projects to aspire towards, I have it in my head to resaw reclaimed woods for table and seating projects; one off stuff...some with metal, resin, etc. How would you choose a saw for these sorts of things?

Thank you for helping me to "keep it real."

John

John Kananis
07-27-2023, 8:19 PM
Something that may be more beneficial than a saw right now (just for a short time) would be to learn how to do the work you're aspiring to. Once you know how, choosing the right machine will be easy as you'll know exactly what you need from the machine.

Richard Coers
07-27-2023, 8:50 PM
Not sure I really agree this is a problem. In fact, I think many folks with smaller shops could benefit from a beefier bandsaw, given how versatile the machine is and the relatively small increase in footprint between a 14" saw and a heavier 16" saw isn't "yuge". But it really comes down to what someone wants to do. I do agree that if one is resawing wide material, there needs to be a plan in place for flattening and thicknessing it; either with machinery or hand tools. But this is also where a jointer/thicknesser combo can be very beneficial for the small shop owner who likes wide boards. :)

I agree Jim. I was partially referring to his long line of plans for working in that 12x20. My mistake was collecting wood for retirement. It's everywhere and it horribly chokes up my 24x48 shop.

Curt Harms
07-28-2023, 8:23 AM
Couple thoughts. John is in Dayton TN. not Las Vegas or Phoenix so wide hardwoods may be available locally for affordable prices. Sort of related and mentioned above, it can be a challenge to flatten wide boards. Hand planes will flatten boards of any width but require time to develop skill. Once I learned about face jointing a 6" jointer was pretty limiting so I got a Jet JJP-12 12" jointer planer. 12"+ wide J/Ps aren't cheap these days and used J/P combos are not plentiful. Stand alone jointers greater than 8" width have the same concerns, new ones are expensive and used ones are scarce.

Mike Mason
07-28-2023, 10:51 AM
Truth be told, I got rid of my 14" Asian clone when I got the 14bx but I kind of wish I kept it with a 1/4" blade installed.

I did keep my Delta 14" with riser block when I upgraded to a Laguna 14/bx (which is the favorite machine in my shop, very high quality and great fun to use). I keep a 3/16" blade on my Delta and only use it for small radius curves in 4/4 stock or less. I only use a carbide tipped wide blade on my Laguna.

To be honest, I never liked the Delta, which I bought new for $750 maybe 30 years ago. I agree with others, the $450 asking price seems to be much more than what I see them regularly listed for on craigslist.

John Piatt
07-31-2023, 10:00 AM
OK. Been pondering my purposes. My gentleman farmer friend, who has been rough cutting lumber over the last year, is giving me wood to make resin table projects.
I'm between the Rikon 10-326 and the Grizzly g0513A40.

Not every table wiil have resin; need to make 10+tabletops for my coffee shop.

Thanks for your thoughtful help in choosing a saw.

John

Michael Rutman
07-31-2023, 12:50 PM
Doing rough cut lumber is not what I'd consider newbie woodworking, nor is resin tabletop projects.

I'd suggest you first look at the bandsaw blades you want to use then pick a bandsaw that can actually use the blade. For example, my Laguna 14/ will work with a Laguna Resaw King while other 14 inch bandsaws can't pull them tight enough. If you look at some YouTube reviews of the Resaw King you can see the bandsaw flex and give poor cuts (mine gives awesome cuts).

I'm guessing you don't have a jointer/planer, just a guess, so you might want to tone down your initial projects. Then again, I've seen people make excellent pallet tables with a circular saw and blow torch, so what do I know.

Mike King
07-31-2023, 1:48 PM
what is the desired finished width of the table tops? Thickness? Length?

What dimensions are the stock from whence these tops will be created?

John Kananis
07-31-2023, 2:13 PM
Let's not forget drying that rough milled lumber either. I don't do epoxy/resin work with wood as I simply don't like it but personal preference aside, you're going to want very dry material to minimize the potential separation of wood and resin and also to keep the water from filming up beneath the epoxy. Maybe take a step back and start with simple things if you have no experience. A bandsaw, drill press and some quality hand tools may be the best place to start... on simple things. Like build a 'normal' table first, see how that goes and then decide what you can handle next.