PDA

View Full Version : Bought 5 router plane irons and got a free plane

Jason Buresh
07-25-2023, 9:00 AM
I was working on a recent project and while fumbling with my router plane iron in my 71-1/2, the iron fell out of tool, bounced off the bench and landed on the concrete floor

New replacement irons are about $18-19 from Lee valley which is reasonable, but yesterday while browsing market place I saw a deal I couldn't pass up.

For $80, I got 5 blades, plus the plane, butt markers, 2 fences, some 78 parts, and some neat little leaflets.

I'm happy, now back to work

George Yetka
07-25-2023, 9:03 AM
Whats a Butt marker? Good deal to make up for that awful feeling

Marc Fenneuff
07-25-2023, 9:03 AM
What a great haul! I'm still looking for a fence and extra irons for my No. 67. Might try LV for the latter.

Jason Buresh
07-25-2023, 9:06 AM
Whats a Butt marker? Good deal to make up for that awful feeling

I'm not an expert but I believe they are used to make a template on a door for installing butt hinges. It came with a little book I need to read on how to use them, but I didn't get time last night

George Yetka
07-25-2023, 9:24 AM
I'm not an expert but I believe they are used to make a template on a door for installing butt hinges. It came with a little book I need to read on how to use them, but I didn't get time last night

Interesting, I thought originally why not trace with a marking knife but this is pretty clever
https://blaknissan.wordpress.com/2018/06/29/a-guide-to-using-the-butt-marker/

Jim Koepke
07-25-2023, 10:42 AM
Nice score Jason, looks like you have a depth stop and fence that escaped from a Stanley #78 and an extra fence for the router plane. What I don't see is the mounting screws for the router plane fences.

Interesting, I thought originally why not trace with a marking knife but this is pretty clever
https://blaknissan.wordpress.com/2018/06/29/a-guide-to-using-the-butt-marker/

A shot of the instructions explains it a lot better than my mumbling words:

It is faster than a Stanley #95 Butt Gauge. No, that is not something you bring out if your spouse asks if "these pants make her butt look big."

jtk

Jason Buresh
07-25-2023, 11:04 AM
Nice score Jason, looks like you have a depth stop and fence that escaped from a Stanley #78 and an extra fence for the router plane. What I don't see is the mounting screws for the router plane fences.

A shot of the instructions explains it a lot better than my mumbling words:

It is faster than a Stanley #95 Butt Gauge. No, that is not something you bring out if your spouse asks if "these pants make her butt look big."

jtk

Good eye Jim. The screw is there, it might have been in the box or under something when I took the picture. The threads need to be cleaned up though, it was threading a little hard

Mike Manning
07-25-2023, 2:07 PM
Nice find and great deal, Jason!

Cameron Wood
07-25-2023, 3:20 PM
Nice. I need an iron, if you want to cut loose with one. I have a couple of butt markers- the main thing I've used them for is to drill holes in them to size dowels.

Jim Koepke
07-25-2023, 5:09 PM
Good eye Jim. The screw is there, it might have been in the box or under something when I took the picture. The threads need to be cleaned up though, it was threading a little hard

I wonder if it is the correct thread. Do you have a thread gauge?

Stanley often used 28 or 20 threads per inch on their fasteners.

My router plane is a Sargent so I have no way of knowing what Stanley used on their router.

jtk

Jason Buresh
07-25-2023, 9:17 PM
What a great haul! I'm still looking for a fence and extra irons for my No. 67. Might try LV for the latter.

Nice. I need an iron, if you want to cut loose with one. I have a couple of butt markers- the main thing I've used them for is to drill holes in them to size dowels.

If I decide to part with any of the extra parts I will let you guys know. Sorry, I'm not trying to hoard spare parts, but after on fell to the floor and broke I don't want to send one away and regret it later.