PDA

View Full Version : iPhone WIFI Issue

Dave Fritz
07-22-2023, 12:44 PM
Our WIFI can work fine on my iPad, my wife's iPad, her lap top, and my PC however occasionally I can't get a signal on my iPhone. It's intermittent and I haven't seen a pattern to isolate the issue. I have shut down my phone and restarted it, unplugged the modem and restarted it, turned WIFI off and on, turned air plane off and on etc. Nothing seems to solve the issue. It has happened less occasionally on my iPad and my wifes iPhone and iPad. We have ViaSat and use their modem and router. Diagnostics say it's working fine. I could take it to a US cellular store but it's always a crap shoot in getting a person that knows much. Appreciate your thoughts and maybe someone else has had a similar issue?

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-22-2023, 12:49 PM
You have tried everything I would have suggested. What model is your iphone?

Dave Fritz
07-22-2023, 2:32 PM
I have an iPhone Seven Plus and my wife has an iPhone 13. It happens to mine more than hers.

glenn bradley
07-22-2023, 2:54 PM
My wife has a 7+ and it has it's issues. Mostly OK with the wireless though. Have you taken the phone to a different wireless area? Coffee shop, grocery store, whatever. It would help you isolate to the phone versus your wireless at home. It sounds like your home system is fine. The phone is pretty old as iphones go. I believe the 7+ is as old as you can get and support current software versions. I have been holding off since the switch from the "button" to screen swipes was brutal for me (I run an 11.). LOML will probably never get it if she has to switch (no offense intended, just reality).

Dave Fritz
07-22-2023, 4:48 PM
I can't tell you the times it's been suggested I get a new phone, get a new phone. Even from those closest to me. LOL I'm old and like what I like and hate messing with new things. So there - curmudgeon all the way. The US Cellular store couldn't figure it out and suggested the apple store. Seems we're unable to reset the network. It actually may be the router since it works fine on other WIFI systems and only happens on WIFI devices in our house. I have a router/modem combo we rent from ViaSat. I wonder if I plugged a new router in one of the either net slots and used that it might help?

Brian Tymchak
07-22-2023, 6:09 PM
Is there a limit on the number of simultaneous connections the router will support? Maybe you are at the limit and getting intermittent connectivity. It's been a while since I set up my home router but I vaguely remember a parameter for number of users or sessions.

Dave Fritz
07-22-2023, 6:20 PM
Thanks Brian, I'll check. The modem/router is one from ViaSat I rent. I've seriously considered purchasing my own and using that.

Bill Dufour
07-22-2023, 6:23 PM
I bought a used, new condition, modem/wifi rather then rent because I wanted more then two ethernet connections. Paid for itself over rental in under one year. Why are you renting? Use the money saved to buy stuff for the shop.
About $168 per year for the last three years with no problems. That has paid for my 18" planer in that time.
Bill D

Dave Fritz
07-23-2023, 7:40 AM
Thanks Bill, that's my thought. Probably do it today.

Curt Harms
07-23-2023, 11:58 AM
There is one consideration to using your own modem/router. Routers need to be checked for updates periodically. There was a security problem with consumer router a few years ago. I assume rented devices are set up to do this periodically, I know modem/routers from ComCast do. Purchased devices may check automatically but may need prompting. Also routers and other consumer networked devices are not supported forever. Unsupported devices may work OK but may be doing things you may not know about and wouldn't approve of if you did. Botnets are one thing that comes to mind, there are others.

Dave Fritz
07-24-2023, 8:48 AM
Bought a Netgear Nighthawk and they say they have regular upgrades for performance and security. Truthfully, I'm not sure anyone is completely secure these days. My health care clinic got hacked and now I have an IDS program curtesy of them. ViaSat and HughesNet have proven to be expensive and troublesome. I read ViaSat just had a huge failure with a satellite, suppose the price will go up now.

Bill George
07-28-2023, 8:13 PM
They have a 3rd version of the IPhone SE that still has the button, my wife has the 2nd edition. I have an 11 and I hate the swipe. My next IPhone will be the 3rd version of the SE.

Bradley Gray
08-06-2023, 7:11 AM
We have iPhones and Viasat. We do not have cell service at home. The iPhone has to be in a place that has cell service when you turn on WiFi calling.

Dave Fritz
08-06-2023, 7:17 PM
Just to clarify my situation. When I'm using my iPhone to search on Safari all can be going well, then it doesn't work. When I check settings and WIFI and look at my server it says, "No internet connection". It eventually comes back on. I don't know why it drops the connection. Is it my router, my phone, or something else? Appreciate all the feedback.

Bill Howatt
08-06-2023, 7:43 PM
Can you change your venue - go to a friend's house and see if it happens there, go to a Wi-Fi available coffee shop etc.
This may give you a clue if it is your phone or your home network stuff. There are so many links in the chain of working networking it is not easy to pin down where the problem is with 100% certainty.
Other possible approach - have your friend come to your house with his iPhone and Safari (duplicate your environment as completely as possible) and see if he/she has same problem.

Dave Fritz
08-07-2023, 9:21 AM
Thanks Bill. It hasn't happened anywhere else and it also happens on my wives phone and iPad. I'm having my own new router/modem installed tomorrow by a ViaSat service tech. When I tried by myself the on line tech. couldn't help connect it to the satellite so he set up the free service call. I had a problem a Vizio Smart tv in that some channel wouldn't come in and/or would beach ball all the time. I replaced the Vizio with an LG and everything works great. Hope this solves the problem as well.