PDA

View Full Version : Vaughan & Bushnell planes

Mike Henderson
01-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Can anyone tell me the numbering scheme for Vaughan & Bushnell planes? I see 700 numbers (like 705), 800 numbers and 900 numbers. Are they different quality grades? - such as the 700 being the lowest grade and the 900 the highest grade?

And does the last number correspond to the Stanley numbering - that is, is a 704, 804, and 904 all approximately the same size as a Stanley #4 plane?

If there's someplace that lays all this out, please post a pointer to the article.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Henderson
02-01-2006, 5:17 PM
Isn't there a place where people who collect old tools congregate? Maybe they can answer my question. I’m new to this stuff and don’t know all the places where old tools are discussed. If you don’t want to post a link, please PM me with the information.

Thanks
Mike

Dan Moening
02-01-2006, 6:05 PM
These planes are difficult to find information about as they were only made for a few years {20 or so as I recall}. I have not found a "type study" or webpage with info, but simply gathered info from google searches. These lead me to The OldTools List (http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/%7Ecswingle/archive/%22) and other forums where similiar questions have been answered.

I have one of each { 703, 804, and 905 } and IMO they do go up in quality. though that is not to say the little 703 I have doesn't perform quite well. And they do follow the Stanley numbering scheme.

<a href="http://www.astragalpress.com/vaughn_bushnell_tool_catalog_27.htm" target="blank">Astral Press</a> sells a catalog from 1927 with their offerings that is on my list of things to buy.

Curious...when you say that "you saw"...did you mean locally? Cause, er, I need more. :D

Wendell Wilkerson
02-01-2006, 11:41 PM
My one data point is a V&B 903. It is the same size as my Stanley #3 and it has a frog similar to the older Bedrocks which means you still have to remove the blade to adjust the frog :(

Wendell

Mike Henderson
02-02-2006, 12:13 AM
Dan, Wendell, Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Mike