PDA

View Full Version : Delta DJ-20 retaining screws

Chip Seltzer
07-21-2023, 9:44 AM
Unfortunately I have buggered the head of one of the hex head screws that secure the knives. Any feedback on how to get the bad screw out and does anyone know a source for replacements?

thanks

Tom M King
07-21-2023, 11:53 AM
Maybe grind down two opposing flats so the next size smaller wrench will fit with a Dremel or die grinder small grinding wheel.

Chip Seltzer
07-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Success... I used that idea in reverse and took a 3/8" open end wrench and filed it a bit larger. The 10mm open end was always a bit sloppy but 3/8" was too small. 7/16" way too big. 10mm was the closest fit I could find. I would like to replace all these screws to keep the balance. Everywhere I look, they are discontinued / out of stock. Anyone know a source or a suitable replacement?

Thanks

Ray Newman
07-21-2023, 1:05 PM
Thinking out loud here. Are the screws metric or imperial sized? Could the screw holes be drilled out and tapped for the next sized metric??

Tom M King
07-21-2023, 1:15 PM
Looks like you can find replacements on ebay. I would just balance the ones you have, and make sure you have a good wrench to fit them.

Chip Seltzer
07-21-2023, 1:50 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I did clean up the buggered screw head and with the newly sized wrench, I should be fine going forward. I am curious as to why the 10mm wrench was loose and the 3/8" too small. It didn't take much to open it up but it was clearly too small to start and the screw heads were in good shape. Thanks again for all the advice.

Tom M King
07-21-2023, 2:30 PM
Sometimes new math helps:

Bill Dufour
07-21-2023, 3:19 PM
Was it a quality 10mm wrench, never abused? Wonder if it was bad heat treat and warping.
Bill D

Chip Seltzer
07-21-2023, 4:12 PM
Craftsman from 25-30 years ago. Jointer is probably more like 40 (my dad bought it new). Says "Made in USA" on the plate. My guess is that it isn't intended to be a metric head. As I mentioned, it didn't take a lot to get the 3/8" wrench to fit but it did not fit to start. I have been using the 10mm wrench for the 17 years that I have had it. What are other folks using to change the knives on this machine?

Tom M King
07-21-2023, 6:02 PM
Mine is the older 8" wedge bed Delta. It uses a 5/16 wrench. I'm surprised that yours would be different. Mine uses 3/32" thick blades though. I'm not sure when they changed to 1/8".

David Stone (CT)
07-21-2023, 7:58 PM
I have been using the 10mm wrench for the 17 years that I have had it. What are other folks using to change the knives on this machine?

I use a 10 mm wrench on mine, also, and I believe that is what's intended. To be honest, my wrench is a little loose also, but I chalk that up to it being an ancient inexpensive "Great Neck" tool that measures sloppily wide with a digital caliper whereas the bolt head itself is very close to exact. And note that the cast iron portion of these machines was made in Taiwan, or, in the early years, Brazil, as indicated on the tag located on the rear, so it stands to reason it'd likely be metric. (The other tag, with USA, is for the sheet metal base to which it's affixed and motor.) As for a replacement, maybe McMaster-Carr would have something suitable.

Bill Dufour
07-22-2023, 2:23 AM
AFAIK The dj20 was never made in North America. First made in Taiwan then Brazil. Just possible that Taiwan made machines could use english size hardware in the early 1970's. Doubtful for a machine never designed to be made in the USA.
Bill D

Simon Dupay
07-22-2023, 11:46 AM
The grizzly g0490 is a clone of the dj-20 the parts are interchangeable, you might want to get new gibs too while you're at it

joe maday
07-25-2023, 8:49 AM
There is a dj-20 complete head ...gibs, screws, blades on ebay right now

joe maday
07-25-2023, 8:51 AM
Tell him to keep the body and send the gibs, screws and blades in a flat rate box....he is asking too much for shipping the entire head.....just a thought

Andrew Hughes
07-25-2023, 10:42 AM
Maybe he should buy the whole head.
It could be the head is balanced with that particular set of gibs

Chip Seltzer
07-25-2023, 11:35 AM
There is a dj-20 complete head ...gibs, screws, blades on ebay right now
Thanks for the follow up. I have the jointer up and running now. I'll probably just buy replacement screws from Grizzley for the next time I change knives. If I were going to replace the head, it would be with a jointer planer combo!

Bill Dufour
07-26-2023, 11:25 AM
What is so special about these screws that you can not just replace them all at once to keep it balanced? I would buy quality usa made screws. Most china made screws are garbage with no material or heat treat controls. I have had china made steel screws that are not magnetic!
Bill D

Chip Seltzer
07-26-2023, 2:21 PM
What is so special about these screws that you can not just replace them all at once to keep it balanced? I would buy quality usa made screws. Most china made screws are garbage with no material or heat treat controls. I have had china made steel screws that are not magnetic!
Bill D. Yes, that is definitely worth looking in to. I am sure the size and thread are standard. The head is low profile to fit in the slot for the gib and rounded where it bears against the cutterhead. To be honest, with this new wrench I have cut, the fit is very snug and I can most likely just keep using the originals. I am more than suspicious about anything coming out of China and double when it comes to stuff that can hurt me!

Brian Gumpper
07-27-2023, 10:22 AM
AFAIK The dj20 was never made in North America. First made in Taiwan then Brazil. Just possible that Taiwan made machines could use english size hardware in the early 1970's. Doubtful for a machine never designed to be made in the USA.
Bill D

I think it was the other way around. Invicta made the DJ-15, DJ-20 and RJ-42 not sure about DJ-30. They are a Brazilian company so I would assume they started in Brazil and switched to Taiwan for obvious reasons. Either way, great machines.

Bill Dufour
07-27-2023, 11:12 AM
Easy enough to grind down the head of some bolts. they recommend to fine sand/polish the head of the factory bolts so they are very smooth. Otherwise they can catch and lift the gibs.
Bill D