PDA

View Full Version : Shop Organization

Zachary Caldwell
07-20-2023, 6:31 PM
My shop has just been completed (30x50x12). Most of the space is for woodworking other for tractor/lawn equipment etc. What I would love to see is if anyone could post some pictures of how they have their shop organized. Trying to figure out how to store things like planes, hand tools, screws, edgebanding, routers/accessories etc.etc. I really would like to do this once hahaha. At least one good time and then re adjust later but more tweaking rather than complete re arrange.

Also trying to figure out how everyone does their assembly tables/outfeeds etc.

I appreciate you all.

Thanks,
Zach

Tom Bender
07-21-2023, 7:23 AM
This tool cabinet made a huge difference in my 250 sq ft shop. It provides almost 100 sq ft of drawer space. It is designed to accommodate my particular tool collection plus hardware, with the most used items at convenient height. (not for sale)

glenn bradley
07-21-2023, 10:22 AM
You can do a search for threads under my name. I have a lot of storage and organization stuff. Unfortunately the tediousness of posting only 2 pictures at a whack on SMC sometimes makes me unwilling to post a lot of pics. Maybe after the coffee kicks in.

Keith Outten
07-21-2023, 10:29 AM
There are thousands of pictures and posts here concerning every aspect of shop design, storage, layout......

Patty Hann
07-22-2023, 8:21 AM
You can do a search for threads under my name. I have a lot of storage and organization stuff. Unfortunately the tediousness of posting only 2 pictures at a whack on SMC sometimes makes me unwilling to post a lot of pics. Maybe after the coffee kicks in.

Glenn, I noticed your taper jig on my "how do you store your TS jigs", and I see it again here.
What are its dimensions (base only) Length x Width x thickness (and what material..ply?? MDF?)
Thanks -patty

Greg Parrish
07-22-2023, 9:13 AM

Very nice Glenn. Lots of good ideas in those pictures.

Michael Rutman
07-25-2023, 11:21 AM
One of my frustrations with my old 300 sq ft shop was most of the space saving ideas were beyond my skill. As I got better it was less frustrating.

What I did find is something is better than nothing and replacing as skill gets better is even better. Even 2x4 with MDF shelves work as long as you know you will replace them eventually. I just got rid of my last one of those a month ago. Right now I'm working on upper cabinets, something I could not have even attempted if I didn't have my temp storage and time to get the skillset.

My current slowdown is I'm trying new techniques as I build shop cabinets. So instead of 3 hours to put together a simple ugly cabinet I might spend 40-60 cutting raw lumber and getting the veneer just right and figure out how to finish it to a glossy shine, for a workshop, that nobody is going to see, ever. However, I'm having a ton of fun.

Steve Jenkins
07-25-2023, 11:44 AM
One of my frustrations with my old 300 sq ft shop was most of the space saving ideas were beyond my skill. As I got better it was less frustrating.

What I did find is something is better than nothing and replacing as skill gets better is even better. Even 2x4 with MDF shelves work as long as you know you will replace them eventually. I just got rid of my last one of those a month ago. Right now I'm working on upper cabinets, something I could not have even attempted if I didn't have my temp storage and time to get the skillset.

My current slowdown is I'm trying new techniques as I build shop cabinets. So instead of 3 hours to put together a simple ugly cabinet I might spend 40-60 cutting raw lumber and getting the veneer just right and figure out how to finish it to a glossy shine, for a workshop, that nobody is going to see, ever. However, I'm having a ton of fun.
When new woodworkers ask me I always tell them to use shop and garage projects for practice.

Bert McMahan
07-25-2023, 12:28 PM
I built my own version of one of these to hold all of my small screws, random parts, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0--7CZCVngM

I built a waist-high cabinet on wheels with three columns and put a benchtop on it for some more workspace. I think it's been the most useful thing I've ever built and I interact with it multiple times for every single project. I'm considering replacing a couple of the "large" containers with some homemade drawers to hold some larger stuff, as there are a few of those boxes that are empty.

I also spent a lot of time making customizable 3D printed inserts for these drawers. (The original design wasn't mine, but I significantly improved the OpenSCAD script). The pics don't do it justice but I've made 1-2 dozen different box designs that can be customized to specific sizes, thicknesses, etc. and it's made those Stanley organizers 100x more useful.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4805351

Cameron Wood
07-25-2023, 1:46 PM
Outfeed table is a solid core door over a cabinet that they used to have in department stores. The large drawers are electrical, plumbing, cabinet, & junk. No drawer guides. In use 40+ years.
Two drawer cabinets hold fasteners, although there are also shelves with 50lb boxes, and a few things for very small stuff.
The drawers each hold 30-50 sorted fasteners, visible and accessible with one motion, infinitely adjustable, cost $0, and take up 7 SF of under counter floor space. There's close to 300 fasteners, up to 5 lbs each.

Patty Hann
07-26-2023, 5:17 AM
This tool cabinet made a huge difference in my 250 sq ft shop. It provides almost 100 sq ft of drawer space. It is designed to accommodate my particular tool collection plus hardware, with the most used items at convenient height. (not for sale)

Tom, what are the various heights of the drawers? Thanks

Steven O Smith
07-26-2023, 7:58 AM
The single largest impact on storage/mess in my 28x40 shop was adding some kitchen cabinets and under counter units. I got them as scrap for $25 each 30" section.

George Yetka
07-26-2023, 8:16 AM
I think what i have learned is to take your given space and layout your tools/benches. Once this done layout your lighting(unless its full coverage), electric, and dust collection. After this start with filling in under your table saw/benches, walls above your benches, and your drawers. After that start deciding on wood storage and what you have left to store. A new shop is a good opportunity to cull.

Im in 500 square feet so I store what I wont use anytime soon in my basement. I have a drawer bank under my tablesaw. I have drawers built into my router table, my miter saw station has a ridiculous amount of drawer space. CNC is hanging on the wall with a chest of drawers underneath. I have a large workbench with 9 drawers and a 10" high shelf under it. I also have french cleats above my tools on along the wall. Also have a 42" wide 24" deep 7' tall shelf unit with 7 shelves.

Rich Engelhardt
07-26-2023, 10:41 AM
Menards plastic freestanding shelves. (https://www.menards.com/main/storage-organization/garage-outdoor-organizers/freestanding-shelving-units/maxit-trade-35-1-2w-x-56-1-4h-x-24d-4-shelf-plastic-freestanding-shelving-unit/91093men-c1-17/p-7919224478092625-c-12652.htm?tid=5893626501748721622&ipos=4)
On sale for $48 right now.
Sure it's light duty, but, for just being a home for a lot of light stuff you can't beat the price.

Tom M King
07-26-2023, 3:36 PM
Cubbies with waterproof toolboxes. Each one complete for one type of tool use or job. For instance Jigsaw has a couple of jigsaws and all blades. Dremel has everything to go with a Dremel. I have around 140 of the boxes that come in two sizes, but only about 100 cubbies. I need to add some more. The cubbies allow access to individual boxes without having to unstack.

Cameron Wood
07-27-2023, 12:23 AM
Cubbies with waterproof toolboxes. Each one complete for one type of tool use or job. For instance Jigsaw has a couple of jigsaws and all blades. Dremel has everything to go with a Dremel. I have around 140 of the boxes that come in two sizes, but only about 100 cubbies. I need to add some more. The cubbies allow access to individual boxes without having to unstack.

Looks good for many things, but surely you don't have to pull out & open a box to get a file or a snips.

Tom M King
07-27-2023, 9:29 AM
No, there are multiple mechanics tool cabinets for stuff used often with many drawers. Some of the boxes just contain rarely used tools, but still organized in categories.

I do so many different things that some tools won't get used for years, but still I want quick access. For instance the box that says files contains boxes of various sizes of files. In the boxes, like Scrape, that need a couple of particular sizes of files, they have the file needed in them. Backups are in the Files toolbox. Saw Sharp also contains a bunch of different sizes of files, but the backups are in boxes in Files. Standing Seam contains some snips, but oddballs and ones too good to throw away are in Snips. Sheetmetal has some snips, but also crimpers and other tools needed just for sheetmetal work.

All well protected from rust by airtight, waterproof boxes with desiccant cannisters inside, and easily accessible. The number of boxes is still growing as some categories are sub-divided.

The plan is to add on another wing to that building that will have a 24x56 woodworking shop, so a lot of the stuff in that building will get moved. The to-do list here is years long, but having all the tools so organized is a big help. I just drag out a few boxes I need for whatever the job is. They can stay in the back of the truck with no worry about getting wet. If they get dirty or dusty, before putting them back I hose them off.

edited to add: As an example, when working in a rental house here, I just carry in the toolboxes that I will need for the job. Everything gets put back in the correct box when it's time to move out. Pin for example has pin nailers along with fasteners, with anything I need to use a pin nailer right there. Sometimes the boxes are used for weight like holding this LVP in place next to the slate floor in the entrance while the bit of construction adhesive under the ends of the floor sets.