PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Norm's table saw panel sled

Jim Davidson194
07-20-2023, 6:23 PM
Hey everybody,

I want to build Norm's table saw panel cutting sled (the old one with the fence in the front). I have two questions. First, why does the miter slot runner extend past the back of the base? Second, why does the fence extend past the left side of the base (is it for supporting larger panels)?

UPDATE: I realize there are variants of the sled (some go on the left of the blade, some go on the front of the blade, fence in front, fence in rear). I think this is causing confusion, so I will add detail about Norm's sled. It's used on the left side of the blade and the fence is on the front (it hits the blade first and you push the panel against it). Here's a link to the episode (S13, E1) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvfLHmhkkwM). The jig is about 44 seconds into the video. Hope this clears things up.

Thanks,

Jim

Ron Citerone
07-20-2023, 7:20 PM
I suspect the miter slot extending is to go into dados in an added on outfeed table. I suspect you answered the second question already. Curious what others will chime in with.

Bruce Wrenn
07-20-2023, 9:53 PM
Having built one YEARS ago, the miter bar extended past base makes it easier to line it into miter slot . I built a similar sled sheet goods at a 45. I also have a "drop off table that goes in left miter slot to support cut offs. Extended fence allows sled to sweep cut off pieces past the blade.

Kent A Bathurst
07-21-2023, 8:10 AM
To get a clean cut all the way through the piece, you need to support the off-cut from below and behind. If not, it will drop and/or "hinge" [for lack of a better word], and you'll get a torn edge/corner at the end of the good piece.

Jim Davidson194
07-21-2023, 9:05 AM
Hmm...I don't think that's it because the miter bar extension is out the back of the sled, not the front--the bar in the front of the sled will hit any outfeed table.

Jim Davidson194
07-21-2023, 9:16 AM
Thanks for your input, but I'm afraid I don't understand. The miter slot bar is below the sled base, so I don't see how it could support anything. Also, to make sure everyone understands which sled (type) I'm referring to, I updated my original post and put a link to the episode of The New Yankee Workshop that shows Norm's older sled.

Jim Davidson194
07-21-2023, 9:26 AM
I think I have an idea of what the long miter bar might be for. Is it there to keep the sled running straight when the front of it starts going past the rear of the table saw (no outfeed table)?

Curt Harms
07-21-2023, 9:27 AM
Hmm...I don't think that's it because the miter bar extension is out the back of the sled, not the front--the bar in the front of the sled will hit any outfeed table.

I have and use one of Norm's "panel cutters". If the wooden portion is (plucking numbers out of the air) 18" and I want to cut a 24" panel? It's useful to have the miter bar extend beyond the wood portion. Or maybe I'm missing the question.

Edit: we were posting at the same time. I think what you posted is correct.

Kent A Bathurst
07-21-2023, 10:25 AM
Thanks for your input, but I'm afraid I don't understand. The miter slot bar is below the sled base, so I don't see how it could support anything. Also, to make sure everyone understands which sled (type) I'm referring to, I updated my original post and put a link to the episode of The New Yankee Workshop that shows Norm's older sled.

I'm not looking at the specific design you are referring to. However, I was answering this question you asked:

"Second, why does the fence extend past the left side of the base"

Jim Davidson194
07-21-2023, 10:27 AM
Thanks for confirming my "suspicion".

Kent A Bathurst
07-21-2023, 11:15 AM

And - by the way, Jim - in pretty short order you will route extension slots in the outfeed table - all the way to the end.

It's a mistake to make them exactly 3/4" to match the TS top, because they won't line up perfectly. 1", 1-1/4" - something like that.

John Arthore
07-31-2023, 2:49 AM
Hi Jim,
did you built it or still you're struggling, share your experience. Thank you :) (https://fsginspections.com/services/mold-related-services/)