PDA

View Full Version : Gojo waterless creme hand cleaner

Robert Hayward
07-20-2023, 6:14 PM
I have used this product for most of my life starting as a kid. Went online shopping today for a 4.5 pound container for a wall mount dispenser. Started seeing reviews about the product had been reformulated and the new version would not dispense using the original dispenser. Was not able to find a current dispenser so I called Gojo customer service.

Was amazed at being told the new "original formula" creme style would not work in the old dispenser and there was not a dispenser being made for the new version part #1115-06. This is the 4.5 pound canister made for a wall dispenser!

Even more amazed when I was told Gojo was discontinuing all creme style Gojo. Another old friend gone. Kind of like when they stopped producing Johnson Paste Wax.

Napa Auto Parts near me had a Napa branded hand cleaner #5005 that they told me worked in my dispenser but could not tell me how the product compared to Gojo. $20 for a 4.5 pound canister so I bought one and it did fit the dispenser. Will need to get my hands greasy/oily to really test it.

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-20-2023, 7:52 PM
Oh man. Double whammy. I didn't realize Johnson Paste Wax is discontinued too. I have Gojo on my shopping list. We used the last of it in the shop a few days ago. Thanks for the heads up.

Mel Fulks
07-20-2023, 8:19 PM
Johnson’s Wax just lasted too long. A can could last 20 years or more . At least one
guy on this forum has a half -full can , or more ! And that’s what you call “ old time
marketing”. They need to start it up again ,and get some new customers…..don’t
forget “third world”. Waxes wax …and wane.

Robert Hayward
07-20-2023, 8:19 PM
Gojo will still be available. Just not the creme style. The super smooth stuff I always liked.

Alan Rutherford
07-20-2023, 9:18 PM
... They stopped producing johnson paste wax......

what???!!!

Bruce Wrenn
07-20-2023, 9:47 PM
Gojo will still be available. Just not the creme style. The super smooth stuff I always liked.I put the smooth stuff in an empty hand lotion bottle, labeled hand cleaner.

Patty Hann
07-21-2023, 8:16 AM
Johnson’s Wax just lasted too long. A can could last 20 years or more ....
They need to start it up again ,and get some new customers…..don’t
forget “third world”. Waxes wax …and wane.

I contacted SCJohnson earlier this year and asked what it would take for them to make the paste wax available again.
Answer: they have no plans to bring it back because "it didn't sell well enough" to keep making it.

My take: it was selling just fine. What killed it was the "liability" situation.
The paste wax is in the Category 2 Carcinogenic group... "known to cause human cancers."

Same email response said that SCJohnson has other "wax products" they recommend I try.
Nope. Sorry. Not interested in the new stuff.
I still have a can of the old Paste wax that is almost 90% full. Here's hoping it's enough to "see me out." :)

Robert Hayward
07-21-2023, 10:33 AM
I still have a can of the old Paste wax that is almost 90% full. Here's hoping it's enough to "see me out." :)
90 % full!!!?? May I give you my address for you to pass around to your heirs or maybe include it in your will? :)

Mel Fulks
07-21-2023, 12:12 PM
Patty, call them again and tell them the trick to selling it is smaller cans. You could end up on the board of directors…. but don’t put too
much of wax on your chair…or you could ‘lose your position’.

Patty Hann
07-21-2023, 2:28 PM
90 % full!!!?? May I give you my address for you to pass around to your heirs or maybe include it in your will? :)

Robert... I have just updated my trust with you as beneficiary of my one and only can** of SCJohnson Paste Wax.
(But you do understand that there may not be much left when you receive it. ;) )

**16 oz, bought at HD in 2017 for around $10 IIRC

Jim Koepke
07-22-2023, 11:51 AM
My can of Johnson's paste wax is so old it is the opaque stuff they discontinued long ago. My best recollection is it was purchased in the 1970s.

The real reason they do not sell much anymore, how many people wax their floors these days?

I remember as a kid we even had an electric floor buffer.

jtk

Robert Hayward
07-22-2023, 1:05 PM
I remember as a kid we even had an electric floor buffer.
The two story house I grew up in had oak floors on both levels. We also had an electric floor buffer with a bristle drum. Not a flat plate but a rotating drum like a drum sander has. Not sure if my mother used Johnson Paste Wax but it was in a similar shaped can.

Allan Dozier
07-28-2023, 3:44 PM
If you don't like the new hand cleaner try Kresto. I have used Gojo, Fast Orange, etc. but I like Kresto the best. It does have some walnut shell ground up in it which also makes it work so well I think.

Jason Roehl
07-29-2023, 6:16 AM
My go-to is not Gojo, but Fast Orange with pumice. A couple squirts of that, scrub my hands good, then add some liquid hand soap with a splash of water, more scrubbing, and I can go from elbows-deep in grease and oil under a truck to putting on a tuxedo. That will even get the grime out of the texture of my calluses.

Perry Hilbert Jr
07-29-2023, 11:07 AM
I remember my cousin even carrying gojo in his motorcycle saddle bags for when he helped fix cars while he was visiting. I have about a 1/4 of a can of Johnson's paste wax. in the barn. The one substance I used a lot of, was WW2 US Army bore cleaner. Stank to Heaven, but dissolved all kinds of stuff and neutralized, all kinds of corrosives. I frequently used it on my muzzle loaders and old trapdoor Springfield. I am down to about a dozen 4 oz cans of the stuff. Now I understand it is not only considered carcenogenic but also some sort of hazardous waste, so it it spills, you are supposed to get an environmental cleanup. The stuff works. I'll keep using it.

Clifford McGuire
07-29-2023, 5:28 PM
Another part of my youth is gone. When I was in HS and College, I had a summer job that involved small engine repair. That can of GoJo in the dispenser was part of my day.

Bruce Wrenn
07-30-2023, 8:33 PM
Everything I like is illegal, immoral, fattening, bad for my health, currently unavailable, or too expensive! Choose the one that fits.