PDA

View Full Version : Longworth chuck project

Jim Dunn
01-31-2006, 10:53 PM
I made this over the weekend and was very happy with the way it was turning out. Had the grooves routed and was taking apart the 2 pieces of plywood, when, snap:eek::eek::eek: the tennon that was holding everything concentric snapped in half.:mad::mad: I reglued it and reassembled it. Let the glue dry put it in the lathe and found that it runs out about 1/32 at 8". Doesn't seem like much but, IT WAS PERFECT, before I screwed it up.

It still looks nice though, don't you think? Maybe?:confused:

I need to true up the face but I figured I'd wait till I cooled off a little:o

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2006, 11:00 PM
That's pretty cool Jim. Looks pretty good. I have one of those except it is itty-bitty for pocket watch work. :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Very cool, could you show us a side and rear view as well?

I think that is something I will want to make in the future :D

Cheers!

John Hart
02-01-2006, 7:34 AM
Stu will never turn anything...He's gonna spend all his time making tools!:D

Nice work Jim! Seems to me, Mike Ramsey also made a set like that not too long ago. I have yet to pull the trigger but I want to do it too.

02-01-2006, 8:26 AM
Stu will never turn anything...He's gonna spend all his time making tools!:D

Nice work Jim! Seems to me, Mike Ramsey also made a set like that not too long ago. I have yet to pull the trigger but I want to do it too.

I will say it again......

....Mr. Hart you are an E-V-I-L man......

;) :D

Jim Dunn
02-01-2006, 8:28 AM
My wife says all I do is make tools too. I tell her practice makes perfect, she laughed and said 34yrs of practicing at marriage and I still ain't perfect. Shhhhh's I never win.

Stu just for you I've added more pics. I found that plywood is HARD to turn, guess it's the glue? The tennon that broke is that small piece way down in the middle of the first pic. I may take it apart and turn off that tennon and add another. Not sure as I'm on to other projects right now, don't tell anybody but it's flat work.

02-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks Jim, and for the PM telling me you added pics, as I missed the addition to this thread.... :o

You put the tenon in there to give the wing-nuts room move in closer together, right?

All very cool.

I wonder if you could turn aluminium on a wood lathe?

I know you can cut it with a good sharp router bit, and a lot of noise and HOT chips (yep, I've done it), but even with the aluminium plate, would it be round enough...?

I have trouble finding decent void free plywood here, and when I do find it, the aluminium plate is often cheaper! :eek:

Anyway, thanks again for the pics!

Now show us how it works!

Cheers!

Bill Stevener
02-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi Jim, great project.

Stu, if you place in the search block, Longworth or Longworth chuck, you will find a world of info. on the same, as Mike Ramsey and myself each maid one. I have incorporated some modifications to the original design of the chuck, which allows for a smother operation.

One thing should be noted. When completed the chuck should be balanced. This can be accomplished by adding a weight to the back side.

When maid and assembled properly, they work great.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
02-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Stu - Aluminum can absolutely be turned.

My experience indoing so is limited to cleaning up vacuum chucks when I need to glue on a new piece of foam.

But take a look what a member of my turning chapter does.

http://www.bellsfromeverest.com/

02-01-2006, 11:02 AM
That is very cool Andy!

Thanks for the info Bill!

Cheers!

Mike Ramsey
02-01-2006, 1:28 PM
Stu,
Here's a link to the thread about the longworth that a few of us built.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21578&page=2&highlight=%22longworth+chuck%22

I've since built 3 doughnut (compression) chucks that I use a lot
more than the longworths.