PDA

View Full Version : Wall Anchors for Drywall

Gary Thinglum
07-20-2023, 7:56 AM
I have always hated to use drywall hangers if I couldn't hit a stud. The molly fasteners were always my go to fastener. Now there are so many other fasteners out there. Any thoughts on some you may have had good luck with. I'm talking about for hanging drapes, or blinds.

Tom M King
07-20-2023, 8:03 AM
Togglers. They come in different sizes. I haven't used anything else since setting up a toolbox with them. They're even used for handicap handrails. Watch the little movie. They really do work that easily. They're much stronger than old style toggle bolts. You can buy them in smaller quantities.

https://www.amazon.com/TOGGLER-SNAPTOGGLE-Drywall-100-Pack-Included/dp/B07CNWHP3J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2IBU4YU5QNM4H&keywords=togglers&qid=1689854403&sprefix=togglers%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

For some strange reason, they call my most used size 3/!6". It's the same that we know as a no.10 machine screw. I keep different lengths of stainless machine screws in the toolbox.

Tom M King
07-20-2023, 8:08 AM
I keep these drill bits in the Toggler toolbox. They're used for drywall as well as tile. It won't tear the paper like some bits do.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-HDG12-Diamond-Hole-Saw/dp/B003TO5F4A/ref=sr_1_2?crid=LLPR4EY1L4ZS&keywords=bosch+1%2F2%22+diamond+hole+saw&qid=1689854793&sprefix=bosch+1%2F2+diamond+hole+saw%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-2

Rich Engelhardt
07-20-2023, 8:42 AM
Plastic mollys used to be a whole lot better than they are today.
It used to be you just had to punch a phillips screwdriver into the drywall to make a hole, then stick the molly in and whump it one with a hammer just enough to drive it flush.
I put in hundreds that way w/out any issues.

Then one day about a dozen years ago, they all started to bend over when you hit them.

I still have a box of "good ones" in mixed sizes - but - it's running out.

I wondered about those Togglers - its good to find out from someone first hand that they work since they aren't all that inexpensive to try out.

Paul F Franklin
07-20-2023, 9:17 AM
For light to medium loads, I use these self drilling anchors:

I prefer the metal ones, but the plastic ones work fine for lighter loads. Come in different sizes.

For heavier loads, the Togglers are great.

Orlyn Gaddis
07-20-2023, 9:41 AM
Another vote for Togglers.

Jim Becker
07-20-2023, 9:49 AM

I prefer the metal ones, but the plastic ones work fine for lighter loads. Come in different sizes.

Same for me, but I generally use the plastic ones. Within weight limits, of course. For the rare need of heavier support, toggles or expanding anchors are what I go with.

Bill Howatt
07-20-2023, 9:53 AM

For heavier loads, the Togglers are great.

The way I see it too. Togglers are overkill for lighter loads and all you need for these is a screwdriver for drywall.

Jim Dwight
07-20-2023, 10:02 AM
I've had bad luck with the self drilling anchors, both plastic and metal. They often spin when you go to tighten a screw in them. For that reason, I prefer either a simple plastic anchor or a toggle bolt (which is what a toggler is). The plastic anchor has to be a quality anchor not the ultra cheap ones that come in big sets, however. With the right size hole drilled by a drill bit they work fine for light loads. Heavier loads get a toggle bolt. The toggle bolt, toggler or traditional, need much bigger holes for insertion so you have a bigger hole to patch if you take them out. The inside the wall piece is going to fall if you unthread it so you cannot remove the bolt and reinsert it without another new piece for inside the wall. But they hold very well and are the next best thing to a solid connection to a stud.

I struggled with togglers the first time I used one but then I got it and I agree they are easier. But a traditional toggle bolt works fine as long as you can assemble everything outside the wall, then push the inside piece through the hole and then tighten the nut. The toggler avoids the need to assemble outside the hole. Sometimes that is very handy, often it doesn't make a lot of difference.

In addition to my house I use these devices volunteering at church every Monday. We do a variety of tasks but hanging coat racks and other things on the wall are fairly frequent requests. The full time maintenance guy has gotten decent at this, however, so us volunteers get less of the hanging stuff requests.

Pictures and that sort of thing do not need toggle bolts. A plastic anchor works fine. Even a towel rack doesn't need a toggle bolt unless somebody decides to put their weight on it and then the rack may break anyway. Coat racks for a bunch of coats or grab bars need toggle bolts (or stud connections).

Stephen McBride
07-20-2023, 10:21 AM
For lighter things like mirrors and small shelves, self drilling are super simple. I found that pre-drilling (or punching a hole with something) a hole helped with getting them in the right spot.

I just bought some #6 and #8 Fischer anchors which have been good as well. Used them for the cleats on some light closet shelves. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08665MZ7M

I also recently put up a cabinet style closet organizer that used a French cleat and used some toggle bolts as mentioned above. They're definitely great, but I'm wondering if some more experienced people here can lend some tips in getting them positioned in the exact spot you need them. I seem to always line everything up and then when I drill the hole and put the toggle in, it's just off from where it needs to be.

glenn bradley
07-20-2023, 10:23 AM
I used the Togglers Tom described to hang my 6" dust collection pipe.

For heavy mirrors I have also used Roc-Locs (https://www.fastcap.com/product/rocloc-10-pack) with good success.

Warren Lake
07-20-2023, 10:41 AM
saw a you tube at one point where they did testing of different types think the toggle bolts that expand once in were the strongest some were pretty poor.

Cameron Wood
07-20-2023, 12:25 PM
Also the plastic drill in ones like shown above.

Alan Lightstone
07-20-2023, 1:00 PM
I use Toggler Alligators. Seem to work great.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/2610C701-192B-4F35-AF30-E5533AFF64A0?ingress=2&visitId=3c9c7680-679b-4c81-890a-287563ad69e5&ref_=ast_bln

John Ziebron
07-20-2023, 1:16 PM
This fellow has a great YouTube channel and he tests all kinds of things based on suggestions from people's comments. He did a test about 4 years ago on drywall anchors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb-Tcvkn7M

Jim Becker
07-20-2023, 2:18 PM
I've had bad luck with the self drilling anchors, both plastic and metal. They often spin when you go to tighten a screw in them.
It's really critical to be sure to use the correct screw size, both in gage and length with these anchors to avoid that issue. Many of the screws that come with various things that get hung are too large in diameter and/or too long.

Kent A Bathurst
07-20-2023, 2:28 PM
Never before heard of Togglers, nor the hole saw bits Tom M pointed out.

Guy could learn some stuff hanging around you fellers.

Thanks

Cameron Wood
07-20-2023, 2:45 PM
Never before heard of Togglers, nor the hole saw bits Tom M pointed out.

Guy could learn some stuff hanging around you fellers.

Thanks

I used one of those hole saws the other day to drill drainage holes in a flower pot for a client.

Kent A Bathurst
07-20-2023, 3:13 PM
I used one of those hole saws the other day to drill drainage holes in a flower pot for a client.

That's actually a better grooming tip than you might have thought. Wife is horticulturalist, and our patio is covered by plant-filled containers from good-sized to holy cow. Drainage is second in importance only to watering.

thanks

Tom M King
07-20-2023, 3:30 PM
The toolbox with the Toggler stuff in it is a handy thing to have a lot of times. For putting up this beaded board ceiling to cover stained sheetrock popcorn in a rental house, the sheets of plywood didn't work out correctly on ceiling joists for even spacing of the batten covers over the joints. I used what joists were in the right places, and used Togglers with flathead machine screws to hold it up where it needed support between joists. The 1/6 MDF battens were just held up with Powergrab.

The ugly light fixture was already in that house. We just reused it.

When my then 104 year old Mother had to move in with us on short notice, it was a mad scramble for two days refitting part of the house for a suite for her. 15 minutes of that time was taken putting up handicap rails in the shower and bath thanks to the toggler toolbox.

That diamond grit holesaw is made for tile, but it is also used for sheetrock just because it's in the box with the other stuff. I tried some of the cheaper Chinese ones sold on Amazon, but they might have been good for one hole in tile. The Bosch ones cost more, but lasts a lot longer.

The Toggler toolbox is one of about 140. Each one is organized for one function.

Jonathan Jung
07-20-2023, 4:19 PM
I've tried many and the Fisher DuoBlade is my go-to now. Made in Germany. They self-start even in older harder drywall or dense acoustic drywall. I don't like hanging very heavy/cantilevered things off drywall, so they work well for my needs.

Kent A Bathurst
07-20-2023, 4:52 PM
I've tried many and the Fisher DuoBlade is my go-to now. Made in Germany. They self-start even in older harder drywall or dense acoustic drywall. I don't like hanging very heavy/cantilevered things off drywall, so they work well for my needs.

Far out. Leave it to the German engineers.

Brian W Evans
07-20-2023, 7:16 PM
Since you seem to have found a lot of good answers, here's one that is not exactly what you asked: In a few cases in my house I have screwed a 1x2 or a strip of 1/2" ply to the studs, then screwed the drapery rod hangers into that wherever I wanted them. A little spackle over the screw holes, match the paint, and it's hard to see if you're not looking for it. Some types of drapes almost hide it completely.

Cameron Wood
07-20-2023, 11:34 PM
Here's my wall anchor kit. Mostly picture hanging, and grab bars in tile. There is also a small assortment of toggle & mollys that are rarely used.

Alan Lightstone
07-21-2023, 8:56 AM
Anyone ever compare Toggler's Snapskru vs their Alligator? I know the Snapskru is supposedly self drilling, but I've seen similar products (EZ Anchors which I have used a lot, and still have a bunch of) have issues with that.

Gary Thinglum
07-22-2023, 6:46 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I like the new togglers, and the fischers anchors, I was not aware of these new products. I'm going to add them to my parts box. I have used the plastic self-drilling anchors like Paul mentioned. I agree they are ok for lighter loads.