PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France!

andrew whicker
07-19-2023, 12:33 PM
If you aren't watching this year, you are missing out. Stage 16 was amazing. I won't give anything away, but Vingegaard and Pogacar... wow. Really good year this year.

Marc Fenneuff
07-19-2023, 2:10 PM
Yes, the Tour has been riveting to watch this year. Several American riders doing well also. But the Pogacar/Vingegaard battle has been so much fun to watch after the oh-so-boring Sky/Ineos years.

Jim Koepke
07-19-2023, 3:03 PM
Alas, I haven't paid attention to the Tour since my days of being a bicycle enthusiast and rider back in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

jtk

Kent A Bathurst
07-19-2023, 4:35 PM
If you aren't watching this year, you are missing out. Stage 16 was amazing. I won't give anything away, but Vingegaard and Pogacar... wow. Really good year this year.

Yeah, well...things blew apart on Stage 17, eh? Last 10 minutes of me saying "Oh NOOOO"

andrew whicker
07-19-2023, 5:05 PM
Yeah, well...things blew apart on Stage 17, eh? Last 10 minutes of me saying "Oh NOOOO"

Yeah... That wasn't what I expected. What a tour though.

The last mtn stage looks pretty horrendous.

Kent A Bathurst
07-19-2023, 6:04 PM
Yeah - it has been amazing/incredible - the great stuff and the motorized insanity all combined

Lee Schierer
07-19-2023, 8:58 PM
I've been enjoying the tour this year. It's good to see some real competition for a change.

I fear for the Tour though, because the organizers don't seem to care about the riders safety. They refuse to figure out how to keep the crazies on the mountain climbs from blocking the riders path, burning smoke flares. I think they should have a car or a couple of motorcycles in front of the riders pushing the crowd back rather than have three or more behind the riders taking pictures or doing nothing. Maybe if they actually arrested a few of them it would make things better for the riders.

Jack Frederick
07-20-2023, 3:17 PM
I began following the tour after my ‘74 cross country ride. I especially enjoyed the LeMond years with Bernard Hinault and the final against Fignon. It has been great being able to record and watch at your convenience. Good that it is ending soon. On to Women’s World Cup.

andrew whicker
07-20-2023, 3:38 PM
Last year, NBC had 1 hour long extended highlights. This year, they are 30 minutes. I am only able to watch the extended highlights. I do wish they went back to 1 hour.

andrew whicker
07-21-2023, 10:19 AM
Lol, stage 18. What was the peloton thinking? Okay with me. Jakobsen won his sprints pushing people to the barriers so it was nice to see. : )

Marc Fenneuff
07-21-2023, 11:17 PM
Well, the trade-off with the NBC coverage this year is that we get 30 minute recaps, but on Peacock each stage has a 20-30 minute pre-show and the entire stage is now shown. Last year on most stages, they began their coverage quite a few K into the race.

Kent A Bathurst
07-22-2023, 8:58 AM
Well, the trade-off with the NBC coverage this year is that we get 30 minute recaps, but on Peacock each stage has a 20-30 minute pre-show and the entire stage is now shown. Last year on most stages, they began their coverage quite a few K into the race.

Also a big plus this year - they got rid of Chris Horner out of the studio crew.

Marc Fenneuff
07-22-2023, 9:12 AM
Yeah I recall on one of the stages last year, the tension was so thick between Bob and Chris that Phil made a comment about it (the two were disagreeing on a team's tactics). Having Christian on the moto this year has been a lot of fun to watch.

Kent A Bathurst
07-22-2023, 10:46 AM
Yeah - He kept pushing an argument on Bobke. He had to know that's a career-terminating move.

Plus - with Christian on the scooter, they can just throw a switch to shut him up. But I do like him there. The Roving Fool - Perino - doesn't do much for me.

Michael Weber
07-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Arlo and Janis

Kent A Bathurst
07-23-2023, 11:43 AM
My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

Arkansas, Arlo, and erudite. I stand corrected, and beg your forgiveness.:p

I know it as the New York Times comma, but Oxford is somewhat older, so you are likely correct.

Actually, I came here to say that Pogacar and Vingegaard are at a talent level and age such that I am looking forward to years of head-to-head battles to the death, as per Russell and Wilt.

See you in the funny papers........

Michael Weber
07-23-2023, 2:10 PM
Arkansas, Arlo, and erudite. I stand corrected, and beg your forgiveness.:p

I know it as the New York Times comma, but Oxford is somewhat older, so you are likely correct.

Actually, I came here to say that Pogacar and Vingegaard are at a talent level and age such that I am looking forward to years of head-to-head battles to the death, as per Russell and Wilt.

See you in the funny papers........ if I ever actually used an Oxford Comma it was probably in error. I just thought that was one of the funniest, self contradicting things I’d ever read. I’m happy you enjoy the race and I do watch a little from time to time. Amazing athletes.

Mel Fulks
07-23-2023, 2:39 PM
We need a “Harvard comma” . I’ve got an Oxford dictionary and the some of spellings are really bad ! But the definitions are pretty good

Michael Weber
07-23-2023, 3:34 PM
We need a “Harvard comma” . I’ve got an Oxford dictionary and the some of spellings are really bad ! But the definitions are pretty good My wife had to explain that to me. Good one

Mel Fulks
07-23-2023, 3:56 PM
Michael, thanks to you and your lady. I’ve been thinking of trying to get a job as interpreter of English and “Mercan”.

Kent A Bathurst
07-23-2023, 4:36 PM
Michael, thanks to you and your lady. I’ve been thinking of trying to get a job as interpreter of English and “Mercan”.

Heads up - You'll get dragged into "vise" versus "vice" if you're not careful. Modern-day equivalent of the bevel-up versus bevel-down mud wrasslin of years back. Which included the tangential issue of bevel versus bezel, IIRC.

Mel Fulks
07-23-2023, 5:18 PM
Thanks, Kent. But I’m gonna be authoritative and authoritarian , and I started accents as a kid !

andrew whicker
07-28-2023, 4:22 PM
I'm on stg 3 of the women's.

This is much more chaotic... everyone is nearly equal! Women's is lot of fun to watch for the opposite reasons. Men's is like watching a chess game between a few guys. Women seems like anyone's game.

20 plus riders within a minute of each other! That's crazy.