PDA

View Full Version : Storing Table Saw Jigs

Patty Hann
07-17-2023, 8:36 PM
What is the best way to store TS jigs? ("store" as in I won't need it today, not "store" as in the "U-STOR-IT type commercial places)
I live in a low humidity climate; RH is rarely above 40%.
Eventually I want to climate control the "gara-shop" but currently the shop RH is whatever outdoor RH is.

The several jigs are DIY (WIP), not store bought.

Bases are all 3/4" birch ply.
Largest jig (taper) measures 12 x 34
Next larger one is 14 x18....Smaller ones after that

Should they be stored on edge? Hung vertically? Flat? Doesn't matter?
Thanks

Lee Schierer
07-17-2023, 8:39 PM
The very fist step is labeling them for what they are used for and the date it was last used. I have one small jig I made that I no idea what it was for.

Patty Hann
07-17-2023, 8:51 PM
The very fist step is labeling them for what they are used for and the date it was last used. I have one small jig I made that I no idea what it was for.
OK.. I get that for my small ones (and I have some some very small ones indeed).

But I mean the big 'uns... the ones you can look at and just know what they are for (taper, crosscut, 45/picture frame cut, etc).
I don't want them going "unflat" .

Why do you mark them with a "last used" date?
(I almost typed "Use by" date :rolleyes: :D)

Keegan Shields
07-17-2023, 9:14 PM
I typically drill two 1” holes in them and hang them on hooks/screws against a wall, but I have more wall space than floor space.

glenn bradley
07-17-2023, 9:36 PM
I hang them.
504485 . 504484

504488 . 504486

Keegan Shields
07-18-2023, 10:19 AM
Neat hook system Glenn, I'm going to have to copy that.

Thanks for sharing!

glenn bradley
07-18-2023, 11:54 AM
Neat hook system Glenn, I'm going to have to copy that.

Thanks for sharing!

A few more pics in case it helps someone.

When I make this sort of thing I tend to batch them out.

I though I had made plenty. Turns out I would like a few more :D

Lee Schierer
07-18-2023, 11:55 AM
Why do you mark them with a "last used" date?
(I almost typed "Use by" date :rolleyes: :D)

In several years down the road if you see one that hasn't been used for a long, long time, it is probably a candidate for the burn pile instead of taking up space in your shop.

George Yetka
07-18-2023, 1:33 PM
If you keep them shorter than the underside of your tablesaw you can get a few and a bank of drawers

Walter Mooney
07-18-2023, 5:16 PM
Patty,
I’m primarily a turner, so I don’t use my TS too often, and had to, like you, figure out how to store my jigs and things that are solely used on or with the TS. My saw is on casters — four under the body of the saw and two under a ‘leg’ that I built under the right-side extension. On the outside of that leg I screwed, with one screw, my crosscut sled. Then, around back, are three other things. My outfeed table (OT) is on hinges screwed to the continuous angle that’s along the back of the TS, so it’s ‘folded down’ in a vertical position. The two separate, loose legs that support the OT when in use are screwed to the top edge of it with one screw that goes through both into the edge of the OT. Then my zero-clearance fence, that fits over the TS fence, is screwed to the legs (again, just one screw). Lastly, on top of all that, is my 4’ guide for my circular saw screwed to the fence. My taper jig hangs on the wall behind the TS. My thin strip ripping jig is in the bottom drawer of the drawer bank I built to fit between the right hand side leg and the body of the TS, and beneath the whole thing. It too is on casters.

Since most of those things are rarely used, the 4’ guide for my circular saw winds up looking and acting like a shelf!504552

Best of luck to you!

Patty Hann
07-19-2023, 1:46 AM
In several years down the road if you see one that hasn't been used for a long, long time, it is probably a candidate for the burn pile instead of taking up space in your shop.
I see...good idea :)

Patty Hann
07-19-2023, 1:49 AM
Patty,
I’m primarily a turner, so I don’t use my TS too often, and had to, like you, figure out how to store my jigs and things that are solely used on or with the TS. My saw is on casters — four under the body of the saw and two under a ‘leg’ that I built under the right-side extension. On the outside of that leg I screwed, with one screw, my crosscut sled. Then, around back, are three other things. My outfeed table (OT) is on hinges screwed to the continuous angle that’s along the back of the TS, so it’s ‘folded down’ in a vertical position. The two separate, loose legs that support the OT when in use are screwed to the top edge of it with one screw that goes through both into the edge of the OT. Then my zero-clearance fence, that fits over the TS fence, is screwed to the legs (again, just one screw). Lastly, on top of all that, is my 4’ guide for my circular saw screwed to the fence. My taper jig hangs on the wall behind the TS. My thin strip ripping jig is in the bottom drawer of the drawer bank I built to fit between the right hand side leg and the body of the TS, and beneath the whole thing. It too is on casters.

Since most of those things are rarely used, the 4’ guide for my circular saw winds up looking and acting like a shelf!504552

Best of luck to you!

Glad you included pictures.... I see an idea or two worth considering. Thankee much, Walter.