PDA

View Full Version : Performax 22-44 and Shop Vac

Jack Norfleet
01-31-2006, 10:06 PM
With Woodcraft's 10% off sale and the $100 rebate I am seriously considering purchasing a Performax 22-44 this weekend.

Has anyone tried using one with a shop vac as a dust collector?

This is a temporary solution as I intend to purchase and install an Oneida cyclone this summer but I have several projects where I can use the sander now.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jim Becker
01-31-2006, 10:16 PM
It will work, but not the best...but could tide you over. The machine has a 4 inch port and is expecting a bit 'o CFM ideally. Go for the sale! The price is right.

David Abel
01-31-2006, 10:38 PM
With Woodcraft's 10% off sale and the $100 rebate I am seriously considering purchasing a Performax 22-44 this weekend.

Has anyone tried using one with a shop vac as a dust collector?

This is a temporary solution as I intend to purchase and install an Oneida cyclone this summer but I have several projects where I can use the sander now.

Any advice is appreciated.

I'm jealous! I almost ordered one a couple months ago but was urged by you know who to put it off til later this year. I'd expect the shop vac to be unable to keep up with the dust, but it's got to be better than nothing! Keep your mask on. <g>

Dan Oliphant
01-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Jack, I have the 22-44 unit, and until my cyclone was functional, I used a shopvac to minimize the fine sanding dust from migrating everywhere. As Jim mentioned this method should only be used for a short time. Using the shopvac will also keep the amount of dust you breath in down to somewhat bearable levels. Without it the dust will be overwhelming.

Jack Norfleet
01-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I have never used a drum sander so could only imagine the cloud of dust it creates. Until I get my dust collector, I intend to set it outside my garage shop, use the shop vac to gather as much as I can, and wear my particulate/chemical mask.

I also considered buying a small single machine dust collector. I would leave the collector outside so any dust that escapes the bag would drift into the woods.

Joe Zerafa
02-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Hi Jack,

I have a 22/44PRO, what I have found is if you dont have adequate dust collection you will end up with sawdust between the drum and the wood. This can lead marks on the wood or worst case a build up of heat which will either burn/gum up your sandpaper and/or burn the wood.

If you open up the cover while its running you'll be amazed at how much is actually coming off.

Having said that in the short term, I would say making very light passes should be ok, but avoid any high resin timbers.

Joez

Chris Barton
02-01-2006, 8:08 AM
I have a 22/44 and the biggest Ridgid shop vac in the known universe and the vac can handle it for a short period of time. But, with small sanding dust it would only take a few minutes for the vac filter to be clogged.