PDA

View Full Version : more hot dogs can be saved

Warren Lake
07-15-2023, 6:36 PM
nother system and more detailed testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqbCzHVUTw8

Mike King
07-15-2023, 8:00 PM
Interesting. Their system is camera based. Felder's is capacitive based. I wonder what the advantages/disadvantages are of those two systems.

Mike

johnny means
07-15-2023, 8:10 PM
It seems to me that, at some point, just removing the human hand from the system would be the simpler solution.

Bill Dufour
07-15-2023, 9:36 PM
I assume the optical system will not misfire due to damp wood or staples. Might have issues cutting plastic and cardboard with lots of static cling dust in the air and coating the lens.
Bill D

Andrew Hughes
07-15-2023, 11:20 PM
I think it’s German technology so technically it would be saving Bratwursts. :)

Warren Lake
07-16-2023, 1:40 AM
Rarely have those but a treat when I do. Below is another with more history. Saw another you tube compared their tech to others and looks like this is the most advanced way to do it.

Few days on a tired older slider, so far its great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfbuCe_T2CM&t=726s

Rich Engelhardt
07-16-2023, 6:16 AM
I think it’s German technology so technically it would be saving Bratwursts. :)Brauts smothered with Vidalia onions on a toasted pretzel bread bun...washed down with some good brew - - heaven on Earth!

Sorry - I'm a bit hungry and breakfast has to wait on my kilometer swim...

I did notice in the video they called them sausages when they ran them into the spinning blades.

Stan Calow
07-16-2023, 8:20 AM
I think it’s German technology so technically it would be saving Bratwursts. :)

Good one, Andrew

Jim Becker
07-16-2023, 10:48 AM
It seems to me that, at some point, just removing the human hand from the system would be the simpler solution.
I think that the hand removal is what they are all trying to avoid... :D But seriously, the farther the hands are from the blade, the safer the operation so I agree with you and that's what I try to do by taking advantage of my slider, clamping, etc., whenever that's practical.

Mike Cutler
07-16-2023, 1:22 PM
At the risk of being argumentative, or obtuse, I thought that the "Euro- Slider", as we affectionately refer to it here, was an engineered solution to prevent the hands ever needing to be near the blade?
I'm all in on making machines safer for use, and this looks like a nice safety system, but what is the function being performed that it is protecting against?

Karl Loeblein
07-16-2023, 1:35 PM
Really like how blades are not damaged, there’s no costly cartridge to replace and no worry about cutting green wood/aluminum/plastic. Although I wonder if the additional cost of a video based AI system like this is within the reach of most home shops.

Cameron Wood
07-16-2023, 2:28 PM
"Hand guard provides the user effective protection from accidents during all typical work situations."

Hmm. Overstate much?

Kent A Bathurst
07-16-2023, 4:53 PM
....what is the function being performed.....?

Rank stupidity

If there is even the slightest opening for a human to put a body part where it clearly has no business being put - put it will be, at some point, contortions be damned.

Lotta years, with many dozens of softwood remanufacturing plants and manufacturing plants, with several kazillion moving sharp things, all very well-guarded, and with serious and solid safety programs in place, and I now realize I have not seen it all, but many times I thought I had.

"Hand guard provides the user effective protection from accidents during all typical work situations."

Not guaranteed, and not for atypical moronic actions

johnny means
07-16-2023, 5:23 PM
At the risk of being argumentative, or obtuse, I thought that the "Euro- Slider", as we affectionately refer to it here, was an engineered solution to prevent the hands ever needing to be near the blade?
I'm all in on making machines safer for use, and this looks like a nice safety system, but what is the function being performed that it is protecting against?

I'm doubtful that the sliding mechanism was invented for safety reasons. Rather its just a better way to move larger materials through thw blade. I've never bought the safer argument. They're only "safer" on operations that would not be that dangerous to start with, like large panels and crosscutting long boards.

Larry Frank
07-16-2023, 7:26 PM
Wow....120 reportable accidents per month in Germany with sliding saws. Germany has 1/4 the population of the U. S.

Jim Becker
07-16-2023, 7:43 PM
Mike, while a slider certainly provides the opportunity to reduce the amount of cuts that have hands near the blade, it doesn't completely remove those instances. Sliders are used for more than just chopping up bigh sheets of plywood, including some traditional ripping when it's the best way to accomplish the task.

Mike Cutler
07-16-2023, 8:00 PM
Jim

Thank you.
Through the years I've seen all of the fancy jigs made for sliders, here on the forum. In ignorance, I just assumed that there was never a need to get your hand anywhere close to the blade.

Rich Engelhardt
07-17-2023, 7:09 AM
Jim

Thank you.
Through the years I've seen all of the fancy jigs made for sliders, here on the forum. In ignorance, I just assumed that there was never a need to get your hand anywhere close to the blade.Keep in mind - the now infamous Ryobi law suit came about because the operator chose to listen to his boss and use equipment that had all the safety devices disabled or removed and he was using it in a 100% unsafe manner.

Even when the manufacturer takes reasonable steps to make sure they put out a safe product, they still have to figure in the "stupid" and "greed" factors.

James Jayko
07-17-2023, 9:13 AM
This just feels like troll bait. A. Sliders are awesome, B. SawStop sucks / greeedy / too expensive.

Everyone must be tired from the weekend.

Jim Becker
07-17-2023, 9:19 AM
Jim

Thank you.
Through the years I've seen all of the fancy jigs made for sliders, here on the forum. In ignorance, I just assumed that there was never a need to get your hand anywhere close to the blade.
My goal is always to try and make cuts where my hands are as far from the spinning blade as possible for sure. But there are just some times when...you can't. So you do what you can to make it as safe as possible, using a push block/push stick, etc. Many of the fixtures also help with safety while also facilitating the best cut quality possible by leveraging the slider wagon that moves the material through the cut rather than one's hands. It's a dance... :)

This just feels like troll bait. A. Sliders are awesome, B. SawStop sucks / greeedy / too expensive.

Everyone must be tired from the weekend.

There certainly are folks who "don't appreciate" how the originator of Sawstop handled things (he's been out of the picture for a long time now) and there are certainly folks who like/prefer sliding table saws. In the end, it doesn't matter...what does matter is that each of us finds the way that works best for us individually to do woodworking safely so we can enjoy it fully.

Keith Christopher
07-17-2023, 11:20 AM
Of all my tools my TS is the one I fear the most, I just do everything I can to keep and my hand out of the line of 'fire'. Sadly I have to admit I don't have the same fear with my bandsaw and that is crazy because they use bandsaws in meat processing. I have cut some of the tiniest pieces on my bandsaw and later thought...you're crazy. So I taped a sign that hangs down over my BS blade (like a remove before flight thing) that says "This tool is also dangerous" keep me in line

Rick Potter
07-18-2023, 2:18 PM
One meter travel per second?? 39" per second?? I know I am getting old, but cannot ever imagine feeding anything at that rate.

Mike King
07-18-2023, 6:33 PM
One meter travel per second?? 39" per second?? I know I am getting old, but cannot ever imagine feeding anything at that rate.

How about falling into a blade? I bet that is that fast, or faster.

Bert McMahan
07-18-2023, 6:44 PM
How about falling into a blade? I bet that is that fast, or faster.

I could see someone ripping big pieces of really thin material, over and over again, going that fast too.