PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #13 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
01-31-2006, 9:07 PM
January 31st, 2006

Cold morning again [21 degrees].

Well, Benny and his helper got an early start again this morning. Started putting down the floor joists. I felt sorry for them [and me kinda] because this was the 2nd straight day that their other member didn't show up.

I couldn't stand it anymore so I left about 10 AM to come back and sit in front of the 'puter and constantly check that freight company to see if Ken got his surprise yet. Well, that and to make a few phone calls for info regarding our upcoming natural gas use.

First call was to the gas company. Explained what type of equipment I would be putting in the house. Here is a list of what I read off to him.
1. Wolf Dual Fuel 48" range with grill and griddle. Max BTU 89,000
2. Bryant Plus 90i Furnace 80,000 BTU
3. 40 Gallon water heater 40,000 BTU
4. Rinnai Tankless water heater Max BTU 180,000

He suggested I might need at the very least a different gas meter and possibly a new service line, dependent on what size mine is now. About 120' to where my gas line hooks into the service trunk. Guess who'll have to pay for that, if I need one?

Now I have to call him tomorrow with the above numbers as well as the pressures the appliances require. We'll see what happens there.

Back to the hacienda, or more appropriately, soon to be hacienda and see how the guys were doing. The east end had all the joists in place and they were starting to work on the west end. Also, one of the other guys from Schluters was there and had finished cutting an opening into each new section of crawl space from the existing basement. That will help the plumber, HVAC and electrician, as well as allow storage of stuff later on.

Weather is not cooperating like it was earlier. Rain changing to snow and back to rain for tonight and tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can get the sub floor done tomorrow. Hopefully they get an extra worker or even two so we can get caught up.

Stay tuned and thanks for looking.

Karl

Jim Becker
01-31-2006, 9:24 PM
Excellent choice in the range, Karl...Wolf makes a very nice product. You will be really pleased with what it will do for your cooking...it's a whole 'nuther world.

'Glad to see some progress, despite the chilly and damp weather. This too shall pass!

Art Mulder
01-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Two water heaters? Let me guess, the tankless unit is for the two bathrooms, and the 40gal unit is for the kitchen? Or is there some other reason for doubling up like that?

John Miliunas
01-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah, Ok...A little delay but, great progress nonetheless! :) Bummer about the weather, though. Heck, you'd think we were having winter in Wisconsin or something! :rolleyes: Well, at least for now, they're not having to dig snow outta' there, so you're still ok, me thinks! :) :cool:

Tom Drake
02-01-2006, 6:08 AM
Coming together nicely Karl.

Karl Laustrup
02-01-2006, 6:12 AM
Two water heaters? Let me guess, the tankless unit is for the two bathrooms, and the 40gal unit is for the kitchen? Or is there some other reason for doubling up like that?

You nailed it Art. Even if I don't go with the tankless unit, I'm still going to have two water heaters. Kitchen is on one end and the bathrooms are on the other. Almost 60' between.

My dad always had two water heaters [he was a plumber] and it sure was nice getting almost instantaneous hot water at both ends of the house, without having a circulation system.

Karl

Art Mulder
02-01-2006, 6:33 AM
Karl,
I have a colleague at work who had a gas tankless unit for about 3 years (he just moved) and loved it.

I have four kids, oldest is almost 9, and I just know that shower time is going to be seriously long, starting in about 4-5 years. So in my mind there is no question that the next HWH is going to be tankless.

best,
...art

David Fried
02-01-2006, 8:49 AM
I thought the second hot water heater was for the jacuzzi. Hope you got that dropped in while they were back filling!

Great progress! Winter construction is amazing.

Dave Fried

Tyler Howell
02-01-2006, 9:06 AM
Awesome Karl.
These guys are cookin!
Does the tankless HWH get the temps to Hot levels or is it just nicely warm???

Karl Laustrup
02-01-2006, 9:16 AM
Awesome Karl.
These guys are cookin!
Does the tankless HWH get the temps to Hot levels or is it just nicely warm???

In my case my water is from a well and comes in at 50 degrees. This water heater will raise that to 110 degrees at a flow rate of 5.5-6.0 gallons per minute. With 2.5 gallon per minute shower heads thats sufficient for two showers at once if needed.

On a municipal water system where the water is warmer the flow rate for a given hot water temp is more. Up to 8.0 gallons a minute. You also have to remember that you are not likely to be taking a shower in 110 degree water. Well, maybe with that lead lined thong. :D :D :eek:

Karl