PDA

View Full Version : Can Tandem glides be screwed to the bottom of a cabinet rather than the sides?

roger wiegand
07-13-2023, 2:41 PM
At the museum where I volunteer I've been asked to make some slide out shelves that will sit on top of the floor and existing fixed shelves in some very large, deep cabinets. I'd like to use full extension glides that simply screw down on to a flat surface rather than into the sides or back of a cabinet-- they will be 6 to 36 inches away from the sides of the cabinet, and there is no face frame.

My Google-fu is failing me, probably because of not knowing the right keywords.

Can I do that with Blum Tandem glides? It seems like they should work with a few screws going straight down through the bottom flange. Is there another kind of glide I should be looking for for this task? Side mount on the "drawers" would be fine, as long as I can anchor them downward into the cabinet. These will be large (30 X30") shelves (shallow boxes for rigidity, actually) that may carry significant weight, probably not over 100 lbs. I'd like to stick with a known quality product if possible.

Jamie Buxton
07-13-2023, 2:56 PM
Yes, you can screw Blum undermount down. Some of them have holes already for doing that. I’ve also drilled my own holes through them.

John Ziebron
07-13-2023, 5:28 PM
My brother recently retrofitted all his kitchen cabinet drawers that way. In addition to the new mounting position all he had to do was cut a couple of notches in the back of the drawers flush with the bottoms.