PDA

View Full Version : Hand plane kits

Reed Gray
07-12-2023, 11:46 AM
Some time in the next couple of years, I will be making some wood hand planes, and yes, the thicker ones will have a hole drilled down the middle for moisture content stability so according to my theories, they won't experience the checking that happens with just about all of the old hand planes. I know there are kits, and the one from Veritas looks good. Any recommendations for ones that are simple and good quality. Hock does seem to have kits, but they are more the plane blades and chip breakers. I did pick up the book by David Finck, which I consider to be very 'elementary' as in for some one beginning in wood shop, and also the 2 books by Scott Wynn which I consider to be far better. Just wondering if you all have more suggestions for me. I will be making several different styles and shapes, and wonder about the mechanical advance types (twist the knob) and the hammer and wedge ones as well.

I did find it interesting that the Wood by Wright guy was doing a glue holding experiment, and he seems to think that the glue up ones would not be as long lasting as the solid wood ones since glue seems to lose its grip/strength over the years. Not sure if I go for that or not..... There are musical instruments that are hundreds of years old that still hold together with the hide glue.

Well, maybe that is 2 questions... By far, my favorite plane maker on You Tube is Stavros Gakos, but he is from Poland and makes incredible pieces. He does have a lot of home made specialty tools....

robo hippy

Edward Weber
07-12-2023, 1:08 PM
Some time in the next couple of years, I will be making some wood hand planes, and yes, the thicker ones will have a hole drilled down the middle for moisture content stability so according to my theories, they won't experience the checking that happens with just about all of the old hand planes. I know there are kits, and the one from Veritas looks good. Any recommendations for ones that are simple and good quality. Hock does seem to have kits, but they are more the plane blades and chip breakers. I did pick up the book by David Finck, which I consider to be very 'elementary' as in for some one beginning in wood shop, and also the 2 books by Scott Wynn which I consider to be far better. Just wondering if you all have more suggestions for me. I will be making several different styles and shapes, and wonder about the mechanical advance types (twist the knob) and the hammer and wedge ones as well.

I did find it interesting that the Wood by Wright guy was doing a glue holding experiment, and he seems to think that the glue up ones would not be as long lasting as the solid wood ones since glue seems to lose its grip/strength over the years. Not sure if I go for that or not..... There are musical instruments that are hundreds of years old that still hold together with the hide glue.

Well, maybe that is 2 questions... By far, my favorite plane maker on You Tube is Stavros Gakos, but he is from Poland and makes incredible pieces. He does have a lot of home made specialty tools....

robo hippy
Reed, I agree about the kits, it you are more interested in the wooden body, I think the other sources you mentioned are more helpful than a few bits of hardware.
I wouldn't worry about glue-ups or lamination's at all.
Today's modern adhesives last and last.
One of my buddies has some glue only furniture designs that he made in the 70's, with no signs of trouble.
I have 20 year old segmented turnings that still look the same as day 1.
It goes without saying but good prep, proper application, proper clamping, appropriate curing time and there is no problem.
Good luck on your plane journet