PDA

View Full Version : VFD spindle question

Aaron thomas
07-12-2023, 10:43 AM
Hi, I’m new here and was hoping to get some advice. I just bought a 220 3k water cooled spindle, when it arrived it came with a 110 volt power cord, has a standard 110 volt plug. I spoke with the seller and asked if it has 110 input on the inverter and they said it’s 220 volt input. It was built in China and the rep is also in China so it’s been difficult communicating with him. The input lugs are marked L and N and there’s a ground, I’m assuming i apply a hot to the L and N and of course the ground to ground. I’m just confused as to why they would ship it with a 110 cord, the cord is also shown in the ad on Amazon, the inverter does state 220 on the label, this is the spindle I bought.
CNC Spindle Motor Kits, 220V 3KW 100mm Water Cooled Spindle Motor CNC motor +220V 3.7KW VFD+Clamp Mount +Water Pump+ Water pipe+ER20 Collet set + Drill bits+ wires+wrenches for CNC Router Machine https://a.co/d/0B5W3l3

Jim Becker
07-12-2023, 1:34 PM
3kw is definitely 240v...but I'd be concerned about how those poles are labeled. Troubling that the power cable shown in the listing doesn't appear to have a ground...something is amiss here.

Aaron thomas
07-12-2023, 1:48 PM
Thanks, that’s why I’m apprehensive to hook it up! When I asked the manufacturer why it had a 110 cable and plug he asked me in broken English what type of plug we use for 220 in the US. It definitely says 220 on the tag on the side of the inverter. Maybe they use the same cabinet for both their 110 and 220 models and don’t change the markings. I’m hoping someone here has some experience with this or a similar model spindle

Aaron thomas
07-12-2023, 1:56 PM
This is how it’s labeled 504211

Jim Becker
07-12-2023, 5:19 PM
Very scary. I'm dubious about both that labeling and the response you got when you asked about the plug...sheesh!

John TenEyck
07-12-2023, 5:28 PM
Perhaps this was your post on Amazon's Q&A on July 11th? Their answer doesn't give me much confidence they know what they are doing. There is no neutral in a 220V single phase circuit, rather, there are two hots and a ground. The normal convention in the power box would be L1, L2, and G.

You might try one of the CNC forums to see if others have used that spindle and how they hooked it up. Good luck.

John

Question:
I just received my 3kw spindle, ad says it's 220 but it came with a 120 volt power cord, is it actually 120 volts? (https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx3W4XD2K9RZZSK/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza)

Answer:
Hello, it is actually 220V power wire in your hand. Pls kindly be assured to use it. Because it is high power spindle, so we equip it with 3 cord power wire with ground pin.

Can we kindly ask if standard power cord in US for 120volt is 3pin, and standard power cord in US for 220volt is 2pin?
By Jiangsu yong ting xin dianzish… SELLER (https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=cm_rn_bdg_help?ie=UTF8&nodeId=14279681) on July 11, 2023

Aaron thomas
07-12-2023, 5:32 PM
Yes, that’s me, I also contacted them through Amazon and got a very similar reply. I’ve got thirty days to send it back so I’m going to hook it up and see what happens, if it lets out it’s smoke I’ll send it back!

Bruce Page
07-12-2023, 6:06 PM
I would send it back BEFORE you let the smoke out. There is definitely something screwy here.

Chris Parks
07-12-2023, 7:39 PM
Aaron, I presume you are going to use a VFD to control the spindle? If so I would buy one of the kits that include the spindle, VFD, motor brackets and collet set as shown in this link.

Amazon.com : 220v water cooled cnc spindle (https://www.amazon.com./s?k=220v+water+cooled+cnc+spindle&crid=35W74C4DYEYX&sprefix=220v+water+cooled+cnc+spindle%2Caps%2C315&ref=nb_sb_noss_2)

Jim Becker
07-12-2023, 8:10 PM
Aaron, I presume you are going to use a VFD to control the spindle? If so I would buy one of the kits that include the spindle, VFD, motor brackets and collet set as shown in this link.

Amazon.com : 220v water cooled cnc spindle (https://www.amazon.com./s?k=220v+water+cooled+cnc+spindle&crid=35W74C4DYEYX&sprefix=220v+water+cooled+cnc+spindle%2Caps%2C315&ref=nb_sb_noss_2)
The unit he bought has the VFD...

David Buchhauser
07-13-2023, 5:10 AM
Hi, I’m new here and was hoping to get some advice. I just bought a 220 3k water cooled spindle, when it arrived it came with a 110 volt power cord, has a standard 110 volt plug. I spoke with the seller and asked if it has 110 input on the inverter and they said it’s 220 volt input. It was built in China and the rep is also in China so it’s been difficult communicating with him. The input lugs are marked L and N and there’s a ground, I’m assuming i apply a hot to the L and N and of course the ground to ground. I’m just confused as to why they would ship it with a 110 cord, the cord is also shown in the ad on Amazon, the inverter does state 220 on the label, this is the spindle I bought.
CNC Spindle Motor Kits, 220V 3KW 100mm Water Cooled Spindle Motor CNC motor +220V 3.7KW VFD+Clamp Mount +Water Pump+ Water pipe+ER20 Collet set + Drill bits+ wires+wrenches for CNC Router Machine https://a.co/d/0B5W3l3

Aaron - I took a look at the Amazon listing and the video the seller provided and everything looks fine to me. The only problem is that the ac power cord you received has an end on it for a standard 120Vac receptacle. You just need to change the end (plug) to one that is correct for 240Vac (sometimes referred to 220 V - but if you actually measure your "220 Volt line voltage" you will find that it is most likely closer to 240 Volts AC).

Your "220 Volt" receptacle will normally have 3 connections: L1, L2, and Ground (no neutral). If you measure across L1 and L2, you should read 240 Volts. If you measure between L1 and Ground, or L2 and Ground - you should read 120 volts. These are AC voltage readings on your multi-meter.

Wire L1 and L2 as shown in the video to the VFD terminals labeled "L1" and "L2". If you connect the ground wire to your 240 volt receptacle, then the other end of the ground wire (typically a green wire) should be connected to the chassis of the box you are mounting your VFD into.

Connect the 4 wires (3 phase plus ground) as shown in the video from the VFD to the spindle. There may be some programming to do for the VFD, or it may come pre-programmed and ready to run the supplied spindle.

I have basically the same setup, but with a 4KW spindle and 4KW VFD. My VFD/spindle is rated at 18 amps, and I am running it on a 30 amp circuit using #10 copper wire from power source to L1 and L2 on my VFD. I have the green ground wire connected to the chassis of the enclosure I have the VFD mounted in.

For your application I would consider increasing the wire size of your AC power cord from 16 ga. (as supplied) to either 14 ga. or 12 ga. 3 conductor copper wire.

For reference I have included a few photos of my VFD/Spindle wiring below.

David

George Yetka
07-13-2023, 8:09 AM
Could the 110 cord be for the Water pump?

George Yetka
07-13-2023, 8:10 AM
With Mys spindle I had to source the power cord for the VFD and Spindle.

David Buchhauser
07-13-2023, 8:49 AM
Could the 110 cord be for the Water pump?

George - the submersible water pumps generally come with the 120Vac power cord attached and sealed to the pump. Yes - I had to provide the ac power cord for my VFD, but the Amazon listing referenced indicates that the 16 ga. power cord supplied with the kit is to be used for the AC power to the VFD. It is no big deal to change out the plug on the cord for the correct plug to match the power receptacle Aaron chooses to use.

David

Gary Campbell
07-13-2023, 8:51 AM
That VFD looks like a Sunfar clone (Symphonix, Philcam, among others). If the VFD says ~230VAC then thats what it is. Don't be upset because some unknowing person tossed in the wrong cable. It probably has undersized conductors anyway.

Aaron thomas
07-13-2023, 11:13 AM
Yea, they even show the 110 cord in the ad, it also states the pump is 220 but it’s actually 110. They probably aren’t aware of the types of outlets we use in the US and just assumed that plug was standard.

Aaron thomas
07-13-2023, 2:35 PM
Well I hooked it and pressed start and worked perfectly! I am thrilled with it so far, it’s super smooth and I can barely hear it! Can’t wait to mount it to my CNC! I burned out two routers in less than six months, hope this thing last a long time!

Alex Zeller
07-13-2023, 5:03 PM
My guess is that it's labeled for EU use. They use 240v in their household outlets. So you'll have a line, a neutral, and a grounding location (I'm guessing the screw by itself under the V terminal). The terminal missing the screw would be if you had 3 phase power to supply the VFD. The seller probably just threw in the first cord they had into the kit without paying much attention. Glad you got it up and running. I have a 2.2kw spindle and it's extremely quiet. It's so quiet I have thought about replacing my router with a spindle in my table saw extension.

Aaron thomas
07-13-2023, 5:27 PM
I’m excited to mount it to my CNC, the routers I was using worked okay when new but both started vibrating and were super loud, cuts and carvings started looking like crap. I can’t wait to see how smooth this spindle cuts.

Alex Zeller
07-13-2023, 7:36 PM
You will wonder why you waited so long.

Bruce Page
07-13-2023, 7:54 PM
You will love the spindle when you get up and running. I changed my order at the last minute when I ordered my cnc. I have been smiling ever since.

David Buchhauser
07-14-2023, 3:15 AM
Well I hooked it and pressed start and worked perfectly! I am thrilled with it so far, it’s super smooth and I can barely hear it! Can’t wait to mount it to my CNC! I burned out two routers in less than six months, hope this thing last a long time!

Aaron - glad we were able to help and that you went ahead and wired it up and got it running. Nice work! Let us know how it cuts once you get going on a new project.
David