PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is going on with Amazon shipping right now?

Brian Elfert
07-11-2023, 11:09 PM
Right now, every single Prime item on Amazon has a delivery date of Saturday. It doesn't matter what it is. Even common items like Tide laundry detergent or Amazon Basics cables that are usually same day or next day delivery are showing Saturday. Earlier today, Amazon was showing Friday delivery for everything.

This happened over the weekend too. Saturday I was going to order something and every item was showing Thursday as the delivery date. I checked again Sunday and everything was back to normal. The item I wanted to order could be delivered same day or next day like normal. I didn't want to get it Thursday as I am leaving town Thursday afternoon and no guarantee it would arrive before I am leaving. (I cannot find the item locally.) I need another item now I can't find locally and looked at having Amazon ship it to my destination. It wouldn't arrive until next Tuesday!

Jim Becker
07-12-2023, 10:31 AM
Yesterday and today were the annual "Prime Days" so shipping volume is "yuge" this week. So I'm not surprised there's an extra day for you.

Brian Elfert
07-12-2023, 11:34 AM
I understand Prime day, but this happened last Friday too. It was way more than an extra day for many items. I was looking for a specific Jabra headset. Amazon could get it to me by this Thursday if I bought on last Friday. B&H Photo could get it to me on Wednesday, but they were not accepting orders on Friday evening due to the start of the Sabbath. (I know a guy who was the B&H Photo IT director back a decade ago. He calls the place Beards and Hats because of their strict Jewish practices.) I checked Amazon again on Saturday and and now shipping was back to normal. I ended ordering a Used - Like New Jabra headset that will arrive today. I am leaving at 4 pm Thursday and no guarantee it would arrive in time if delivered Thursday.

Things seemed to have changed again this morning. Stuff that was showing Saturday delivery yesterday can now be ordered for next day delivery. I was able to order the Anker charger and cable I want for delivery tomorrow morning. I got an iPhone 14 yesterday and realized I really should have a faster charger because it will charge way faster than my iPhone 8 Plus. The Anker charger has specific features I like. I know I could get a faster charging block just about anywhere, even at some gas stations.

Kent A Bathurst
07-12-2023, 12:14 PM
In related news, Weather-dot-com has indicated no rain for several days running. And then, in the afternoon, they update it to say rain is on the way.

The prediction skill sets for these two outfits are looking a bit suspect. Maybe they are in cahoots?

Jim Becker
07-12-2023, 1:25 PM
There are a lot of variables, but Amazon's fulfillment tends to be pretty efficient, especially in metropolitan areas, so they would not delay without a reason. I ordered two items on Monday and both arrived Tuesday...one was a Prime Day thing and one was not. I guess both were in-stock in the same distribution center.

Alex Zeller
07-12-2023, 1:55 PM
Around here Amazon uses UPS for deliveries. I think with a possible strike coming Amazon is trying to get everything out the door asap. Last week they were close to a strike and then they started talking again. This week I think the talks stalled again. Just a guess.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-12-2023, 1:59 PM
1.) Amazon is the most monopolistic retailer on the planet, in my opinion. I never give them
my money.

2.) I suspect they have algorithms that predict shipping volume and move delivery commitments up as needed. As much as I dislike them, it’s actually a smart way to manage shipping.

Bill Dufour
07-12-2023, 3:07 PM
In related news, Weather-dot-com has indicated no rain for several days running. And then, in the afternoon, they update it to say rain is on the way.

The prediction skill sets for these two outfits are looking a bit suspect. Maybe they are in cahoots?

Weather .com has us listed as 1% chance of rain for the next ten days. That must be the lowest they can go. The chance of rain in the next 60 days is less then 1%. The first measurable rain may occur in mid October at the earliest.
Do they ever state 100% chance?
Bill D

Brian Elfert
07-12-2023, 3:41 PM
Around here Amazon uses UPS for deliveries. I think with a possible strike coming Amazon is trying to get everything out the door asap. Last week they were close to a strike and then they started talking again. This week I think the talks stalled again. Just a guess.

For me, Amazon almost always uses their own delivery service with 10% or so by USPS, and a very few UPS deliveries.

Mel Fulks
07-12-2023, 9:14 PM
I like Amazon. I don’t see any monopoly, they just know how to manage . And there is always the Walmart business model where
they trust you to check out your own groceries. I won’t work for free ….even though they only let the smart and honest people do it.

Bruce Wrenn
07-12-2023, 9:50 PM
I like Amazon. I don’t see any monopoly, they just know how to manage . And there is always the Walmart business model where
they trust you to check out your own groceries. I won’t work for free ….even though they only let the smart and honest people do it.And when you placed your order with Amazon, you checked your own self out, working for free for Amazon!

Ole Anderson
07-13-2023, 8:31 AM
Weather .com has us listed as 1% chance of rain for the next ten days. That must be the lowest they can go. The chance of rain in the next 60 days is less then 1%. The first measurable rain may occur in mid October at the earliest.
Do they ever state 100% chance?
Bill D Never predict 0 percent or 100 percent.

Brian Elfert
07-13-2023, 9:37 AM
It seems strange that the same items last night I could get Saturday delivery on yesterday evening I can get overnight (Thursday) delivery on today.

I very rarely buy anything on Amazon that I can buy locally. I don't buy paper towels, TP, and other household goods like that from Amazon. I only buy stuff I can't find locally. I only have Prime through my parents making me a member on their Prime account. I would not buy it myself.

Curt Harms
07-14-2023, 11:12 AM
I bought an item on Ebay from the Seattle area shipping UPS ground to the Philly area. They started out at 10 days. That seemed excessive so I created a dummy shipment on UPS' web site. It said 5 days via UPS ground. Today I got a notice that the item will be here 3 days early so 7 days. That seems reasonable considering sorting on both ends.