PDA

View Full Version : New Dennis Peacock inspired Dust Collector Remote!

Tom Pritchard
01-31-2006, 8:08 PM
A short time ago I posted a question about remote controls for dust collectors. I received a great deal of high quality feedback (as usual:) ), but one of the replies referred me to Dennis Peacock's website, where I decided to go ahead and build my own. Here's a breakdown of what it cost me.

Radio Shack remote control $14.99
Square D plastic disconnect box $7.97
220V, 110V coil 2 pole contactor off that auction site ;) $7.99
3 each-cord grip connectors $1.68=$5.04
1 package of spade lugs $2.38
Grand total of $38.37

Not having to walk around my bench and turn the DC on --- PRICELESS:D
(Sorry, I couldn't resist!:) )

Now some of the stuff I used I already had, like the 110V outlet I put in the front to plug the remote into, as well as all the wires and cords. The contactor I bought is rated for 30A industrial, 40A homeowner, which ought to last as long as I'm able to do WW'ing!!

I thought I would post the results so that everyone can see the results of the great advice that I get here on SMC! I really enjoyed the project, and when I was done I sat at the table saw and turned the DC on and off with it a dozen times or so just to enjoy the feeling! Thanks for looking!!

Jason Tuinstra
01-31-2006, 8:34 PM
LOL!!!

Great job. I can't tell you how often I don't turn my DC on because I don't feel like walking over there to turn it on. Great job. I'm sure this is going to be a wonderful and inexpensive little addition.

Tyler Howell
01-31-2006, 9:44 PM
Nice Job Tom, If you're into tinkering you can take it on step further and eliminate the external cord that supplies the contactor.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11772

Tom Pritchard
01-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Nice Job Tom, If you're into tinkering you can take it on step further and eliminate the external cord that supplies the contactor.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11772

Thanks Tyler! I'm just happy it's working right now, and I have a couple projects to get started on, so I'll have to put your solution on the "to-do" list for now! I appreciate the feedback.

scott spencer
02-01-2006, 6:19 AM
Super job on the remotes Tom! Very slick. One of the things I like best about your remote DC is that it looks exactly like the one you made for me! :) ;) Ain't wwing friends with electrical skills great?!

(Thanks!)

Chris Barton
02-01-2006, 7:57 AM
Very nice but, it kind of looks like an IED to me and I can assure you if I tried to make one, it would be...

Tom Pritchard
02-01-2006, 9:12 AM
Very nice but, it kind of looks like an IED to me and I can assure you if I tried to make one, it would be...

OK Chris, you have my curiosity peaked. What is an IED?

Jim Becker
02-01-2006, 9:21 AM
OK Chris, you have my curiosity peaked. What is an IED?

Improvised Explosive Device...
-------

Nice job on the contactor project! 'Love mine, too...

Chris Barton
02-01-2006, 9:25 AM
Sorry, Jim has it right. Me and lectricity don't do so well...:eek:

Tyler Howell
02-01-2006, 9:35 AM
That's pronounced E-lec-trickery.
Very elusive (sp?) and can sneak up on you.:eek:

Steve Clardy
02-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Glad you got it up and working!

Dennis Peacock
02-01-2006, 12:20 PM
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad to know that at least a little of the info I put on my web site gets used and does some good for some folks. :D

Eric Murphy
02-01-2006, 3:00 PM
Do you mind sharing what remote control you got from Radio Schack? Radio Shack part number or description or something? I don't see anything on their web site for $14.99.

Tom Pritchard
02-01-2006, 6:21 PM
Do you mind sharing what remote control you got from Radio Schack? Radio Shack part number or description or something? I don't see anything on their web site for $14.99.

Eric, the remote is Radio Shack part #61-2667A. It was originally $19.99 on sale for $14.99 at our local store. I have no idea what the price would be, or if it's even offered, on the website. Hope this helps!