PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Go453 15" Planer

Jerry Todd
01-31-2006, 8:07 PM
Have any creekers taken delivery on the new Grizzly G0453? If so are you happy with it? Looking to replace my DeWalt Lunch Box.

Michael Disorbo
01-31-2006, 8:30 PM
Jerry,

I have been looking at the same machine, looks like a good deal. I will be going to Muncy to pick up my new G0490 Jointer and will definately look over the G0453 really well and let you know. Can't wait to get to that showroom!!!

Michael

Marcus Ward
01-31-2006, 9:46 PM
I have one and have been shoving roughsawn oak in it as fast as it'll take it. No hiccups and it runs great. The finish cut is unbelievable and even on 30 fpm it's very smooth, no knife marks. I've only had one tiny problem with it. When I first got it it was dropping chips on the board in front of the outfeed roller and pressing them into the surface. There is a foam strip inside the top cover that perturbs the airflow inside and causes this to happen. I removed it and everything works fine. I talked to a Grizzly tech prior to doing so and he said it should be okay. Someone indicated a similar problem with a Yorkcraft planer and since they seem to be identical I figured it was the same problem. Seriously, I can't say enough nice things about this planer. Buy it, you will love it. It weighs about 650 lbs though, so make sure you have a lot of friends to help you get it off the palette and wherever it needs to go.

Jerry White
01-31-2006, 10:07 PM
It looks like Grizzly has really made some good moves this year, particularly in the area of jointers and planers. I have been looking hard at the new 15" planers. The G0453 looks good, and have you looked at the G1021X? I know it is a whole different price range, but the G1021X has a carbide spiral cutterhead! I would love to hear input on either of these planers, too.

Jerry White

Jeremy Griffith
01-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Jerry,

I picked mine up in Muncy about two or three weeks ago. It's a great machine so far. It makes a very smooth cut. I also had the problem with the chips being pressed into the board. I readjusted the chip deflector and it lessoned the problem for the most part. I still get some chips occasionally but just assumed I needed to reaarange my dust collector piping as I'm using a 4" leg that's not pulling much CFM. I want to get it piped with 6" to where I have the planer. I'm also going to try removing the foam as stated in the previous post. Overall I think it's a great machine for the price. I was going to go to Wilke and get the Yorkcraft but they had been out of stock for a while. I think the fit and finish on the Grizzly are better than the Yorkcraft and so is the price. The only thing I've found not to like is the depth scale. I found it much easier to creep up on the thickness I wanted on my benchtop I had before. I think I am going to try and mount a digital scale like the Wixey on mine.

Jeremy

Jerry White
02-01-2006, 9:23 AM
Jerry,

I think I am going to try and mount a digital scale like the Wixey on mine.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

If you adapt the digital scale to your machine, I hope you will give us a report on it. Complete with pictures, of course.

Thanks,

Jerry White