PDA

View Full Version : Replacement motor for Grizzly drum sander G0458

James Cruse
07-08-2023, 12:49 PM
Hello, I am looking for information as to a replacement motor for my Grizzly Drum Sander model number G0458. The motor - part number P0458100 is no longer available for purchase. I'm trying to find out of there is another motor that will replace that. We did call Grizzly and they are the ones who gave us this site.
Thank you James Cruse

Mike Cutler
07-08-2023, 1:27 PM
James

Have you taken the motor out yet? What is it not doing?
Rarely does a manufacturer spec a truly "unique" motor. It's very expensive. Typically it is a mass produced, common convention, motor. The mount may be machine specific, but it will adapt to more readily available motors. Additionally, it may be something as easy as a starting capacitor needing replacement. Motors are pretty rugged.
From the Grizzly cartoon, it looks as if it is probably a 1-1/2 HP, TEFC motor, with a C face mount configuration. The shaft is probably 1/2". I would be stunned if Grizzly does not have this motor on other machines in their lineup. The mounting bracket may be different, but the motor the same, which would make the part number different.
Take it out out and see if you can get it to an electric motor shop, or post a picture here.

Bill Dufour
07-08-2023, 4:13 PM
I would guess it is a IEC motor not NEMA. meaning metric shaft. C face probably be hard to make a shaft adapter better to get the correct size shaft.
Bill D

http://www.electricmotorservice.net/iechart.pdf

Bill Dufour
07-08-2023, 4:17 PM
1.5Hp motor I would be stunned if the shaft is only 1/2". I would expect minimum 5/8 or 3/4. or larger.
Bill D.

Brian Runau
07-08-2023, 4:44 PM
Can you get a picture of the nameplate on the motor? Like others said probably metric, IEC frame and shaft size. Can you tell is it foot mount or c-face mount? manual show an odd c-face type adapter, but the actual face on the motor should be iec or c-face.? Brian

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-18-1-1-2-hp-single-phase-open-end-drum-sander/g0458

Richard Coers
07-08-2023, 9:36 PM
It's not difficult to measure a motor. Advice from here is useless unless the have changed that motor on that machine before. Could be as easy as picking up a motor at Harbor Freight. Just measure the motor, trace the hole pattern of the mount, and head to the store. Farm supply stores are also a great place to find heavy duty motors.

Ted Baxter
07-08-2023, 9:54 PM
It's not difficult to measure a motor. Advice from here is useless unless the have changed that motor on that machine before. Could be as easy as picking up a motor at Harbor Freight. Just measure the motor, trace the hole pattern of the mount, and head to the store. Farm supply stores are also a great place to find heavy duty motors.

You can still download the manual for the machine from Grizzly's site. I did just a few days ago. Call Grizzly tech again until you get the right tech who will help you.

Holmes Anderson
07-09-2023, 7:30 AM
The easy way is to bring the motor to your local motor shop. If you don't have a local motor shop then pull the start cap and use a multi-meter to verify that the cap is within about 5% of the rated capacitance value (printed on the cap). The next thing to check is the centrifugal switch. You will probably have to partly disassemble the motor housing to get to the switch. Check that it can move and isn't stuck with sawdust and whatnot. If neither of those things solves your problem, then you may have a bad winding. It probably isn't worth the cost to have that motor rewound. If you decide to replace the motor and Griz doesn't have a drop-in replacement, then measure the frame and figure out which type it is (or is closest to). Measure the shaft length and diameter and the overall motor size. It is probably metric. You don't have to replace with metric. If you can find a motor in imperial units with a similar size including overall size and shaft length and diameter with a similar frame, then you can buy an imperial unit sheave to fit your new motor and use a link belt to connect with the metric sheave on the drum (because the distance will now be changed). You may have to drill the frame to match the metric bolt hole pattern. I did all of this recently to replace a 3 HP motor on an old shaper. The guy at my local motor shop asked "Grizzly?" the moment I walked in the door. In fairness, it was a Reliant machine.

Alex Zeller
07-09-2023, 3:44 PM
If you really do need a new motor I would think it should be possible to use the motor from the G0458Z sander. You could call up Grizzly and have them measure the diameter of the shaft so you can compare it to your motor.

Cary Falk
07-10-2023, 12:25 AM
Way back in the day, I dropped a 2hp motor in mine. I had to weld up a mounting bracket to get it to fit. I matched the shaft and face mount so it is possible. I think I would go the route of seeing if the 458z would work like Alex mentioned.

James Cruse
07-13-2023, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone. Ended up taking it to a shop with hopes of saving the motor. Worked just fine for them..( figures ) The guy said he thought there was an electric arc on one of the connections that jostled loose in the back of the car. He cleaned all the connections and made sure all were connected as they should be. If this doesn't work, I think I will find a motor that matches the shaft as Cary said and go from there..
Thanks for all the ideas. Much appreciated.

Bill Dufour
07-14-2023, 2:04 AM
While it is out measure the shaft and bolt pattern. Also measure any keyway slot width.
Bill D

Cary Falk
07-14-2023, 4:21 PM
I believe this is the motor that I boughthttps://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/AC-Single-Phase-Motors/AC-Motors-Base-Mount/2-HP-3600-RPM-115-230-Volt-AC-56C-TEFC-Lincoln-Motor-LM24729-10-2752.axd. It is 2hp 240 Volt so you would 240V and you would have to replace the switch also. I always thought it was underpowered and it looks like I was right because they now have a separate motor for the belt. A new motor for the G0458Z is only $269.70 though if it has the same specs.