PDA

View Full Version : settings for paper and cards

Barbara Buhse
01-31-2006, 7:05 PM
I'm sure this has been posted before, but I can't find it.

I have a 35w Epilog... need saettings for cardstock and paper...

can you engrave more than 1 sheet at a time without burning?

what are settings for 1 sheet of cardstock , and for 4 sheets?

I really would rather have a guide before I start a fire... :)

Barbara

Joe Pelonio
01-31-2006, 7:37 PM
The real problem with cutting paper is having small pieces blow out the exaust, and when you cut multiple pieces the top two or 3 fly up and get in the way of the beam as it continues to cut. Even the newer ones with vacuum table have that problem. For engraving you can't do more than one at a time. My Epliog 45 Watt settings for cutting are:

Polytag Coated Card Stock: 36 speed, 20 power, 500 frequency without burned edges. I use it a lot for stencils. Same settings for mat board.

Heavy paper: 60 Speed, 10 Power, 500 frequency.

Engraving 100 speed 35 power for card stocks, 100/20 for paper.

Alan Young
02-01-2006, 1:09 AM
I cut a lot of card stock for scrapbooking. Mostly 67# to 80# stock. my settings depend on how many nodes are in a line because the laser will slow down the more nodes there are. As a rule I use 10 speed and 30 power for line with few nodes. like a square box or circle or the large sized fonts. I use 100s and 20 power for for semi complex drawing and 100s and 10p for real detailed work. For scoring I use 100s and 3 to 5p. I color code the lines and set the power according to the line color. I have attached an example drawing, saved as a version 9. I use purple set to no raster or vector, this way I can place notes in the drawing without cutting them.

edit- i user a mercury 35 watt laser

Barbara Buhse
02-01-2006, 11:57 AM
thanks.. now I have a much better idea where I should start my settings.
Thanks for the tip about the blower... I don't mind small pieces blowing out, but I'll make sure to do only one at a time so it doesn't blow up in the way of the laser.

Barbara