PDA

View Full Version : Light/dry spots on white oak slab

Kyle Brookshire
07-07-2023, 4:52 PM
I’m about to apply Rubio (5% Smoke) to this beautiful white oak slab tabletop. It’s a kitchen table at a family vacation house, so it’ had quite a few stains, crayon marks, etc. to be sanded out.

After going through 80, 120 and 150 grit sanding there are some spots that are lighter in color and appear somewhat drier (for lack of better description) than others. Hopefully they show up in the pictures

Should I worry about these areas and try and even them out somehow? Or, will these areas just “soak up” more finish than the others and it will all end up uniform?

I didn’t build the table, but it was very expensive and badly in need of a refinish. So I’d like to get it right.

Kyle Brookshire
07-07-2023, 5:00 PM
Well…can’t seem to figure out how to post pictures. Hopefully my description of the issue is clear enough to generate some insight.

John TenEyck
07-07-2023, 5:31 PM
Photos sure would help. Use the Insert Image icon to post photos. Use the Choose File button to select a photo on your computer, making sure it's one of the accepted formats, then click Upload Files. It should get added to your post.

John