PDA

View Full Version : Garage Window Replacement

Paul Nock
07-23-2003, 1:26 PM
Hi all, I've got one of those small windows in my garage (about 1' x 2')that's embedded into the foundation of the house. It's fifty years old, bent, won't close properly and has a broken pane. Does anyone have any experience with replacing them? I'm turning the garage into my workshop, and would like to upgrade it if possible. Thanks.

Lee Schierer
07-23-2003, 1:40 PM
Hi all, I've got one of those small windows in my garage (about 1' x 2')that's embedded into the foundation of the house. It's fifty years old, bent, won't close properly and has a broken pane. Does anyone have any experience with replacing them? I'm turning the garage into my workshop, and would like to upgrade it if possible. Thanks.
I would strongly recommend glass blocks.. They are pretty easy to install and are really tough. If you wanvetilation, you can get vents with them as well.

Dennis Peacock
07-23-2003, 7:13 PM

I did glass blocks for an odd sized opening like that......Good way to go if you have the time to do it.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-23-2003, 7:43 PM
I have the same type of windows in my Basement Paul. Mine are getting a little tired also. I have been told that there are replacement windows for this application, in Vinyl, I think. I haven't checked out the Depot or Lowes, but they may have something along this line, or can order them. Glass Block has crossed my mind, and I may go that route, but I want to check out the windows first. I would rather have the windows myself..............security is better with glass block, but I like the fact that I can open the windows and air out the basement on the nice spring and fall days. Now that it is in my mind, I will have to check it out the next time I am at the Depot.

Paul Nock
07-23-2003, 9:07 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. Glass blocks are a good option that I would have never thought of. That would really seal it up good. Ideally, I'd like to keep it a window since it will be my only link to the outside world, and I want to be able to hook up some ventilation as part of a KD finishing area somewhere down the line. The humidity is horrible down there, my tools have been boxed up since I moved in in March, and are already showing some rust. A new window will give me the flexibility I want while sealing the area more than the existing window, so I can fire up a dehumidifier, and start controlling the humidity a bit.

Thanks again,
Paul

Lee Schierer
07-24-2003, 8:09 AM
Your post just reminded me. My basement has the same type of windows. Years ago, when I became concerned about heating costs, I purchased cutom made vinyl storm windows for the outside. These were mounted to the concrete block and completely sealed off the window. They have a removeable glass that could be replaced witha screen, but I've never opened them.

I'm sure you can still get custom vinyl windows made.