PDA

View Full Version : Outside my Window

Jim Koepke
07-06-2023, 12:36 PM
Just now sitting at my computer with one cat sitting in the window. He starts to make a bit of noise and one of the other cats comes to join him. They are fussing a bit so I look to see what has them excited.

Just a couple of bucks looking for breakfast.

Not to often seeing a couple young bucks together.

That will make the hunters around here happy in a year or two.

jtk

John Ziebron
07-06-2023, 7:35 PM
Always nice to see nature like this. I have a similar situation. These two come almost every day to have a little corn snack. I call them the "buck brothers". This picture was taken through my living room window as I was sitting my recliner.

Larry Frank
07-06-2023, 7:42 PM
It is always fun to see the wildlife. We had two fawns in the yard this week. They can run very fast.

Patty Hann
07-07-2023, 3:37 AM
Always nice to see nature like this. I have a similar situation. These two come almost every day to have a little corn snack. I call them the "buck brothers". This picture was taken through my living room window as I was sitting my recliner.

John, what is the orange hook holding?

Mike Soaper
07-07-2023, 9:49 AM
I haven't seem any deer recently but there's evidence that they've been tasting some of my tomato plants.

This box turtle passed by the other day, seems we see one every couple of years.

One year we found a snapping turtle wider than a dinner plate in the yard, sure was a prehistoric looking thing.

Pat Germain
07-07-2023, 10:17 AM
I see a lot of pronghorn where I live which is really cool. They don't come into neighborhoods like deer. They are typically grazing in open fields. My wife often sees deer in town where she works. Apparently, a few small herds are established in some neighborhoods and they stay there year round.

John Ziebron
07-07-2023, 6:54 PM
John, what is the orange hook holding?

Patty, along with that tray that I put some corn in every day I also feed a lot of birds native to my area. I zoomed in the shot to make the deer larger but if I didn't do that you would have seen all my other bird feeders. To answer your question the pole I made with 2 orange hooks has jelly jars for the Baltimore Orioles. The jars are the smallest Mason jars with stainless steel rings and loops to hang them. This shot shows them all.

Patty Hann
07-07-2023, 7:20 PM
Patty, along with that tray that I put some corn in every day I also feed a lot of birds native to my area. I zoomed in the shot to make the deer larger but if I didn't do that you would have seen all my other bird feeders. To answer your question the pole I made with 2 orange hooks has jelly jars for the Baltimore Orioles. The jars are the smallest Mason jars with stainless steel rings and loops to hang them. This shot shows them all.
That is so cool.
I get hummingbirds that like the blossoms on my Texas olive trees and nightingales that perch in my citrus.
HAd a dove nesting in one of the citrus. She (they, I hope) eventually left. Just hoping the feral cats*** didn't get the little ones before they were able to fly.

***We have feral cats here, but my biggest problem is the inconsiderate blockhead next door who lets her cats wander (untagged).
To my knowledge they are not "housecats" at all as they are never inside her house.
No worries for her about cleaning out a littler box....her cats use the neighbors' shrubbery/garden/flower beds. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lee Schierer
07-09-2023, 2:42 PM
These two youngsters have been frequenting our property for a couple of weeks now.
This guy has also been seen several times.

Alex Zeller
07-09-2023, 3:34 PM
I had to squint, is that a pair of deer? Sorry but if they aren't knocking on the front door it's too far away. This was a couple winters ago.

Rick Potter
07-09-2023, 4:14 PM
I was going to post a pic of my concrete pink flamingos, but thought better of it. Just jealous, I guess.

Mel Fulks
07-09-2023, 4:21 PM
The way they are standing ….symmetrical positions, looks like they might be those concrete deer ! My Gramma had some of those,
She always worried that a drunk hunter would ‘kill them’.

Mel Fulks
07-10-2023, 8:38 AM
I was going to post a pic of my concrete pink flamingos, but thought better of it. Just jealous, I guess.

PINK FLAMINGOS , A DEVINE movie. Written and directed by John Waters. Still Funny!

Patty Hann
07-10-2023, 7:54 PM

:D Too funny :D

Rick Potter
07-11-2023, 3:18 AM
There is a bit of family tradition in the pink flamingo. In 1954, when I was 12, the family took a driving vacation from Cleveland to Florida. My big memory was seeing six water skiers behind a boat at a water show. My Mom's big take away was pink flamingos.

She bought some concrete ones at a roadside stand, and displayed them in our front yard when we got home. She also went bonkers and had dad paint the house coral color like houses she saw in Florida. The next three houses were also coral color, even after we moved to California. The flamingos made the trip also, and finally died of a severe case of elder molting.

They were replaced by some wooden cutouts of flamingos my dad made, and not long ago I came across a plastic one from the '90's that lives in our back yard. Finally, on a trip to Minnesota recently my wife found a showroom of concrete figures that carried.....you guessed it...concrete flamingos. They also have taken up residence in our yard.

And that's the rest of the story.

Tom M King
07-11-2023, 7:00 PM
This one watched me change the alternator on a tractor about a hundred feet away, a few mornings ago. It was hiding behind that branch. Just barely old enough for most of the spots to fade away.