PDA

View Full Version : graphics tablet anyone?

Carla Lange
01-31-2006, 5:40 PM
I was wondering if you folks are using a graphics tablet of some sort to do your designing? Would it work with CorelDraw and a laser? As you can tell I know nothing about them, but would be interested in buying one if it worked well. The mouse and I fight, and if I could just draw onto a tablet it might be easier. What do you think? :)

Carla

Bruce Volden
01-31-2006, 5:45 PM
Carla

I "tried" using one for a period of time and never got the hang of it! They're really slick and work just fine--but alas, I'm old school and you know about old dogs. I know most professional graphics, architects, CAD designers swear by them.

Bruce

Lee DeRaud
01-31-2006, 5:56 PM
Absolutely, much easier to do fine work with it than the mouse.
I've got the Wacom Graphire3, 8" model...the current model (Graphire4) is about $165 with USB connection, about $205 wireless.

Interfaces nicely with Corel. Only real "gotcha" is getting used to the fact that it is absolute-position encoding rather than relative-motion encoding: if you want to point at something on the left edge of the screen, you have to point the stylus at the left edge of the tablet rather than "cranking" it over like you would with a mouse.

James A. Wolfe
01-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Carla,
As far as working with Corel and/or the laser, tablets work fine. The 'puter doesn't know if the mouse has a tail or a pen. As Lee said, it takes some getting used to before you get good at it but it depends on what you're doing. I clean up scans for plans in Photopaint to prepare them for tracing and the use of the pen is much more natural feeling and therefore, easier for me to control. I waffled back and forth until I decided on the El Cheapo Deluxo version. It's a CyberTablet 12000 by Adesso. That's a German company selling Chinese tablets to American users....
Anyway, it's a 12"x12" and the street price is around $149. I love mine but my wife refuses to use it so each must decide for themselves.

Jim

Christopher Stahl
01-31-2006, 10:31 PM
I use a Wacom for all design work. Once you learn to use one, you'll be much happier.

Shari Loveless
01-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Carla,
I use an Intuos 2 with active area about 7 x 8. I love it for drawing. If you can draw with a pencil, you will enjoy the tablet. You can skip the drawing by hand, scanning, and then trying to vector the scan. Over the years I've always done my artwork with pencil and paper. Two years ago I purchased the Wacom tablet and have never been sorry. I still use an optical mouse for "surfing" and such, but never for drawing in Corel. I just put the tablet in my lap and work with it there. I am drawing on the tablet while I am looking at the screen. That is the only part that takes a little getting used to. Occasionally I change the active area but for the most part I use the whole tablet. The pen is light and easy to handle just like a pencil. And no cord attached to it. :) The USB cord on the tablet never seems to be a bother.

Before you make the investment, you might try and find someone you know that has one you can test drive. It's a great piece of equipment and a time saver...if you use it! Just make sure you get the size to fit your drawing style.
Shari

Jeff Chumbley
02-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know of any tutorials online that I could find to help me with my Wacom tablet?

Jeff

Wil Lambert
02-01-2006, 1:00 PM
I use the Wacom 9"x12" Intuos 3's on all 3 my PC's. They were about $375.00 each of you look for deals on the net. I have gotten rid of the mouse all together and switched to them all the time. Probably one of the best accessories for the PC.

Wil

Christopher Stahl
02-01-2006, 1:42 PM
Here is some documentation to get you started.

www.wacom.com/productsupport/manual/IntuosUserManual.pdf

chris

Carla Lange
02-01-2006, 8:28 PM
Thanks for your comments. I think I'll look into a tablet. I think I'll like it from what I've read. Now to pay for it.......;)

Carla

Chris Cordina
02-01-2006, 9:11 PM
Wish I could take credit but found this on another site. :rolleyes:
"There is a new promotion for the X3 upgrade plus a Wacom tablet for $149.00. http://www.unleash.com/blog/ (http://www.unleash.com/blog/) It may be time to upgrade again."