PDA

View Full Version : What adhesive ???

BOB OLINGER
07-04-2023, 5:24 PM
I need to glue a vinyl window style to the inner glass (a strip about 10" long) where it has become loose. I was thinking of using CA adhesive. Is this a good choice or is there a better option? I can pull the style sideways for a bit, apply glue to the edge of the window, then slide the style back and clamp for a while. Thanks.

Jamie Buxton
07-04-2023, 7:16 PM
Bonding to vinyl is challenging. The only glue I’ve found that sticks to vinyl is specifically called vinyl glue. I make vacuum veneer bags from sheet vinyl and a glue named Performix VLR, for Vinyl Leather Repair. It has some aggressive solvent in it that melts the surface of the vinyl, and smells like it will rot your liver.

John TenEyck
07-04-2023, 8:52 PM
PVC pipe cement glues vinyl really well. You don't/want to use the cleaner/primer. It was less effective for me than using just the cement.

John

Richard Coers
07-04-2023, 10:18 PM
I'm confused. By saying style, do you mean a mullion or the actual side stile of the window? I've never heard of having to glue those to the glass.

BOB OLINGER
07-05-2023, 9:40 AM
I'm confused. By saying style, do you mean a mullion or the actual side stile of the window? I've never heard of having to glue those to the glass.

I called it a style - it's the vertical section frame around a sliding vinyl clad window. To open/close the window, you slide it using the lip on the frame edge that I attempted to identify.

Mel Fulks
07-05-2023, 11:35 AM
It’s “stile”

Walter Mooney
07-05-2023, 2:53 PM
Try E 6000. Available at the big boxes and other hardware places. Dries perfectly clear, stays flexible, yet adheres to almost everything. I haven’t found anything yet that I can’t glue with it. Great stuff