PDA

View Full Version : Re sealing tubes of sealant/glue/adhesive

Brian Deakin
07-04-2023, 5:00 PM
I have seen various approaches to sealing used tubes of sealant/adhesive

The method I think looks most promising is to use hot melt gun but then I thought would melting candle wax into the threaded opening of the tube work

Comments please

Jamie Buxton
07-04-2023, 6:05 PM
You can buy caps that work pretty well. They’re conical, and threaded on the inside. The threads grab on to the unthreaded tip of the tube. A bag of the caps costs a few bucks, probably near the adhesive tubes.

Jamie Buxton
07-04-2023, 6:09 PM
I’ve also tried the kind of cap that looks like a thick small condom. They work okay in the short term , but eventually lose their elasticity, and fall off.

Tom Blank
07-05-2023, 1:23 AM
A glob of hot glue completely covering the opening in the tip DOES work. I've been using that method for several years.

TB

Tom M King
07-05-2023, 7:25 AM
Just buy these. I have some opened tubes that are years old sealed with them and they're still good. They aren't as cheap as they once were, but still worth it. You can reuse them many times. I have a bunch, and haven't had to throw one away yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O994YRI?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k3_1_11&amp=&crid=38PWBZRW2NYSS&amp=&sprefix=caulking+tu

Jim Dwight
07-05-2023, 7:39 PM
I just put a piece of tape over the open tube. Clear packing tape will keep latex caulk OK to use for months. Not sure anything keeps silicone very long but aluminum foil tape works better (longer) than packing tape. Duck tape is worse than cheaper packing tape. I wrap it around and then fold the tip of the tape over and tape it down. Only takes a few inches of cheap tape.

Mike Henderson
07-05-2023, 9:10 PM
I just put a piece of tape over the open tube. Clear packing tape will keep latex caulk OK to use for months. Not sure anything keeps silicone very long but aluminum foil tape works better (longer) than packing tape. Duck tape is worse than cheaper packing tape. I wrap it around and then fold the tip of the tape over and tape it down. Only takes a few inches of cheap tape.

I do the same (packing tape). Seems to work for a long time for me.

Mike

Paul Saffold
07-06-2023, 7:29 AM
I've had good results with the ones Tom linked.

Patty Hann
07-06-2023, 8:10 AM
I've had good results with the ones Tom linked.

Ditto. Just ordered another pack of 2.

Tom M King
07-06-2023, 8:43 AM
I used some bathroom silicone caulking yesterday sealed with one of those. I don't remember how many years ago it was opened. I make sure the flexible tip is full enough to squeeze some out around it as it's pushed down over the tip, and wipe off the squeeze-out.

Patrick Varley
07-06-2023, 10:16 AM
I used to use a tape +/- a nail in the opening.

Now I switched to the little latex condom-like caps. Still pretty cheap, but easier.

https://a.co/d/e6Z4m9O

I also store the tubes in press to close bags.