PDA

View Full Version : My day for interesting furniture conversations

Gary Herrmann
01-31-2006, 5:34 PM
I posted earlier about the Duncan Phyfe furniture.

A co-worker heard me talking to my wife about in on the phone and asked me if I'd ever heard of bloodwood. I told him I bought a few boards of it over the holidays for a project.

Apparently he has a solid bloodwood table in his basement that his wife inherited. Its at least 4' wide and 8+' long without the leaves. Hand carved solid bloodwood legs. The top is 2-3" thick. Its too big for their dining room!

He said he had been thinking of just throwing it out or giving it away, but it was too heavy for him and his wife to carry out - he said it must weigh 300 lbs. I think I started to hyperventilate. I said "If you do, tell me, and I'll come get it in a second."

Then I pointed him toward some antique dealers I've heard of. Maybe I should have told him it was junk wood. Another lost opportunity...:rolleyes:

Vaughn McMillan
01-31-2006, 6:08 PM
I'm thinkin' you should bang your head repeatedly on the graphic below, for missing an opportunity to help take the table off his hands. ;)

Ah well, if it was meant to be yours, it would have happened, and maybe still will. You did the honorable thing. :)

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
01-31-2006, 6:27 PM
Ah well, if it was meant to be yours, it would have happened, and maybe still will. You did the honorable thing. :)Yes, yes he did.:cool:

But he still needs to smack himself on the forehead ten or twelve times, just on general principles.:rolleyes:

Jim Young
01-31-2006, 6:39 PM
You did the right thing, your concience will be clear.