PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever send a festool back for repair?

Max Neu
07-04-2023, 1:37 PM
I just ordered a new ETS EC 125/3 random orbital sander to replace the one that quit working.The one that quit working kept turning off and on due to a bad connection where the cord plugs into the sander.Eventually it just stopped working completely once the connection got too bad.Unfortunately the warranty had expired.I have heard the festools are expensive to get repaired.Does anyone here have experience with getting something like this repaired by festool?I am considering getting it fixed,and keeping it for a backup,or use it for a different grit,instead of changing grits back and forth.I normally don't bother getting small tools like this repaired,but since it's almost a $500 sander,I will certainly consider it depending on how much it costs.

Zachary Hoyt
07-04-2023, 2:58 PM
Is it something you could fix yourself? I've put new or used cords on a number of handheld power tools over the years for a similar reason. It would be cheaper than having Festool do it. When I am taking a dead appliance for scrap I cut off the cord off if it is still good, and lately I've been buying cords from Surplus Center.

Jim Becker
07-04-2023, 3:38 PM
Is it something you could fix yourself? I've put new or used cords on a number of handheld power tools over the years for a similar reason. It would be cheaper than having Festool do it. When I am taking a dead appliance for scrap I cut off the cord off if it is still good, and lately I've been buying cords from Surplus Center.
Zachary, the sander uses a disconnectable cord and the parts are hard to come buy. It sounds like the tool-side receptacle is bad.

------
Max, if you contact Festool customer service they can advise you what the costs would be for evaluation for repair, etc, and maybe even estimate the repair based on your description of it seeming to be the physical connection for power. No harm in asking.

Dave Zellers
07-04-2023, 3:50 PM
I wonder if you could remove the disconnect and hard wire it.

Paul J Kelly
07-04-2023, 3:56 PM
Max,

I had a Festool sander start to vibrate excessively after the warranty had ended. I had to pay to ship it to them. The repair was quick and not very expensive. It was a few years ago, but I want to say it was like $80 and it was back to working like new.

Send it in to Festool.

PK

Richard Coers
07-04-2023, 10:35 PM
Nope, I just buy parts from MM Tools and Parts and fix them myself. https://www.mmtoolparts.com/festool-parts

Andrew Hughes
07-04-2023, 10:45 PM
I also bought parts from mmtoolparts for my Festool router. Specifically Bearings I’m very proud to say I did the replacement myself and the router works like new.