PDA

View Full Version : All clothing storage must meet new tip-over requirements?

Jonathan Jung
07-03-2023, 11:37 PM
I tried reading this, but my eyes glazed over a bit. Anyone with technical knowledge about law want to chime in? Does this mean even small shops need to supply a wall anchor to a custom solid walnut dresser sold to people who generally don't even have children?

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/cabinets/cabinetmakers-who-make-clothing-storage-units-may-need-comply-new-tipover-rule

Richard Coers
07-04-2023, 12:19 AM
I don't see any problems with providing this safety for everyone. I'm confused why you consider the wood species to make a difference.

Bill Dufour
07-04-2023, 12:59 AM
Screw a short length, 16", of chain to the back of the piece. They can screw it into a stud or anchor or let it hang down out of sight.
In your location it is a seismic safety feature to be promoted that you love your clients and want to insure repeat business from non flattened customers after a quake.
Go to a museum and notice the monofiliment line holding stuff from falling over and breaking
BilL D

Lee Schierer
07-04-2023, 7:33 AM
The concern is that young children often use household items to get to something they want that is above their normal reach. They do this by climbing. Drawers become steps on their make shift ladder and tall narrow depth dressers and such can easily tip over when a drawer or door is extended and 50 pounds is placed on top of the drawer front. Furniture such as dressers, bookcases and wardrobe style cabinets are particularly prone to tipping. Four drawer cabinets are well known for tipping when two fully loaded drawers are opened at the same time. This two drawer lateral filing cabinet I made is anchored into the studs behind it.

A fairly easy to understand version of the guidance can be found here (https://kidsindanger.org/wp-content/uploads/Furniture_Stability_Report_Final_(1)1.pdf).

Pat Germain
07-04-2023, 9:16 AM
I get that it's not fun to be regulated. But this is a real issue. My dad's little brother died when a dresser fell on him. Including some type of hardware with a dresser to make sure it doesn't fall on a child is not a big deal. I would hate to learn about any furniture I made falling on a child.

Jim Becker
07-04-2023, 9:55 AM
If you are producing work for others, at least provide a written notice/warning about this. Providing representative hardware for anti-tip isn't costly, either. Major manufacturers have been held accountable for this so small makers could also be taken to task if there is injury or worse from a tip-over because of balance when too many drawers are opened simultaneously.

Jamie Buxton
07-04-2023, 10:49 AM
Hmm... As a builder of custom furniture, I can't force customers to fasten the furniture to the wall. I can include anti-tipover hardware with the furniture, but that's about the limit. If I include anti-tipover hardware with the furniture, does that satisfy this rule?

Rod Sheridan
07-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Hmm... As a builder of custom furniture, I can't force customers to fasten the furniture to the wall. I can include anti-tipover hardware with the furniture, but that's about the limit. If I include anti-tipover hardware with the furniture, does that satisfy this rule?

If you include a one page instruction sheet with hardware it should be fine.

That's what the big players are doing and I assume their lawyers are smart people......Regards, Rod.

Edward Weber
07-04-2023, 1:17 PM
If you include a one page instruction sheet with hardware it should be fine.

That's what the big players are doing and I assume their lawyers are smart people......Regards, Rod.
+1 on this.
Your not an installer, this falls to the customer. If all the instructions and hardware is provided, you've satisfied your requirements.

Brian Tymchak
07-04-2023, 3:16 PM
I was thinking last week about posting a thread on this topic.

+1 on this.
Your not an installer, this falls to the customer. If all the instructions and hardware is provided, you've satisfied your requirements.

No, it doesn't. The builder is accountable for assuring the piece of furniture meets the regulations. Providing the anti-tip tether might get you off the hook in a legal sitation if the opposing lawyer is not too bright but it does not make your furniture compliant with the new regulation. It states that in the regulations. Also, these regulations were just updated in February and are quite a bit different from the old ones. For the record the regulation is titled: ASTM F2057-23 Standard Safety Specification for Clothing Storage. Here's a link (https://www.astm.org/standards/F2057). Unfortunately, I think you have to pay to get the document.

I volunteer at the local furniture bank. We build (very) utilitarian furniture for those in need. One of the pieces we build is a 4 drawer clothes dresser and we include a tether with every one that goes out the door. We have reviewed the new rules and are currently redesigning our dresser to meet them. There are 3 specific tip tests specified in the rules, which I will not go into in detail. One is a 60 lb weight of specific dimension hanging from a fully open top drawer. Another test simulates the condition of the dresser sitting with the back feet on a carpet tack strip. I can't remember the 3rd test. There are also tests for cabinets with locking mechanisms. I didn't pay any attention to those since our dressers don't lock. I've read an online article that indicates most manufacturers are either adding depth or shifting weight low and in the back of the cabinet to pull the center of gravity down and back. We are experimenting with both options. Some manufacturers are discontinuing tall dressers as a result of the new regs.

If you make dressers taller than 27" (iirc) for use by others, you should read the document. As the OP mentioned, it is definitely not a page turner..

Post note: I think the new regs apply specifically to clothes storage, and not book cases, which are also a well known tip hazard.

Bill Dufour
07-04-2023, 3:50 PM
When I installed a new stove for my sister about 10 years ago it included brackets to tie it to the wall so it would not tip when you pulled out the shelf with huge turkey. When I left the lab 30 years ago they were starting to tie the soda machines and fridges to the wall to prevent tipping. Not really sure if that was people trying for free sodas or worried about quakes.
This was roughly when they started requiring all water heaters be strapped and flex gas line.
Bill D
Bill D

Edward Weber
07-04-2023, 6:06 PM
I was thinking last week about posting a thread on this topic.

No, it doesn't. The builder is accountable for assuring the piece of furniture meets the regulations. Providing the anti-tip tether might get you off the hook in a legal sitation if the opposing lawyer is not too bright but it does not make your furniture compliant with the new regulation. It states that in the regulations. Also, these regulations were just updated in February and are quite a bit different from the old ones. For the record the regulation is titled: ASTM F2057-23 Standard Safety Specification for Clothing Storage. Here's a link (https://www.astm.org/standards/F2057). Unfortunately, I think you have to pay to get the document.

I volunteer at the local furniture bank. We build (very) utilitarian furniture for those in need. One of the pieces we build is a 4 drawer clothes dresser and we include a tether with every one that goes out the door. We have reviewed the new rules and are currently redesigning our dresser to meet them. There are 3 specific tip tests specified in the rules, which I will not go into in detail. One is a 60 lb weight of specific dimension hanging from a fully open top drawer. Another test simulates the condition of the dresser sitting with the back feet on a carpet tack strip. I can't remember the 3rd test. There are also tests for cabinets with locking mechanisms. I didn't pay any attention to those since our dressers don't lock. I've read an online article that indicates most manufacturers are either adding depth or shifting weight low and in the back of the cabinet to pull the center of gravity down and back. We are experimenting with both options. Some manufacturers are discontinuing tall dressers as a result of the new regs.

If you make dressers taller than 27" (iirc) for use by others, you should read the document. As the OP mentioned, it is definitely not a page turner..

Post note: I think the new regs apply specifically to clothes storage, and not book cases, which are also a well known tip hazard.

Thanks for the link

https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufacturing/Business-Education/FAQ?p=3019&tid%5B3026%5D=3026
FAQ question
I I include a tip over anchor anchor kit with the product, does it still need to be tested for stability?

An anti-tip kit that meets ASTM F3096 (https://www.astm.org/standards/F3096) must be packaged with the clothing storage unit, but that does not exempt the manufacturer or importer from meeting applicable testing requirements under the standard. The clothing storage unit must meet the stability testing requirements of the standard without the anti-tip kit installed.

So if it has to meet the standard without the kit, why is there a kit???
A belt and suspenders approach

Thanks for all the info everyone, good to know

Bill Dufour
07-04-2023, 6:24 PM
I have a two drawer file cabinet. Tan so probably 1970's or so. It has a 10x16 piece of 1/2 plate steel factory attached to the back wall so it does not tip over if the drawers are all the way open. Yes it adds about 15 pounds of weight.

Edward Weber
07-05-2023, 9:39 AM
I don't think the dressers when I was a kid could have fallen over near as easily as they do now.
Ours were made of wood, no staple on cardboard back for one thing. No such thing as flat-pack or Ikea furniture either.
Not to mention, if I was ever caught climbing on the furniture, I probably wouldn't be here now.

Keegan Shields
07-05-2023, 10:03 AM
I would recommend you find a lawyer and pay for an hour of their time so you can talk through the regulation and ask them questions.

And keep the receipt as proof of your commitment to compliance with the regulation. Then do what the lawyer lays out is required.

Should the worst happen, your defense becomes "I take the safety of my furniture seriously. I met with a lawyer to help me understand these regulations and I conducted the required tests / included the hardware based on their expert legal advice."

As opposed to "I asked some people on an internet forum what tests I needed to do for compliance and just went with that..."

Rich Engelhardt
07-05-2023, 1:24 PM
While seeking legal advice pursuant to potential consumer liability is sage advice, I believe the far greater danger from this legislation comes from the government.

They are simply not going to care how great your effort was. Unless you have followed their published guidelines to the letter, you are in violation.

It's exactly like paying taxes or HIPPA. You do it their way, or pay.

Brian Tymchak
07-05-2023, 1:24 PM
I don't think the dressers when I was a kid could have fallen over near as easily as they do now.
Ours were made of wood, no staple on cardboard back for one thing. No such thing as flat-pack or Ikea furniture either.
Not to mention, if I was ever caught climbing on the furniture, I probably wouldn't be here now.

Interesting thought. I haven't researched older dressers very much but I bet they were deeper (front to back) than modern furniture in a box styles are.

John Lifer
07-05-2023, 2:33 PM
Nothing to do with earthquakes. It is all stemming from a lawsuit against cheap imports, IKEA furniture was the original defendant. Dresser tipped and killed numerous children. Read and add some sort of device and a copy of the regulation with each sale. I would attach the devise (chain or strap) to the back....

Mel Fulks
07-05-2023, 5:42 PM
Moon Mullins , and others also living ‘in the papers’ ,often showed babies sleeping in an open dresser drawer . It was a real thing
used by humans. Guess they just aren’t making babies as sturdy now , maybe there just is not enough mother’s milk and they are
afraid the cows can’t be trusted. Remember in the Bible some women “ over-laid” , (mashed them).

Edward Weber
07-05-2023, 6:01 PM
Interesting thought. I haven't researched older dressers very much but I bet they were deeper (front to back) than modern furniture in a box styles are.

That was my original thought.
I thought, 18" deep was pretty normal but maybe things have changed when talking about flat-pack furniture.

Pat Germain
07-06-2023, 11:37 AM
As I mentioned above, my dad's little brother was killed when a dresser fell on him. That happened in the 1950s. Dressers may have been less-susceptible to tipping back then, but it definitely did happen. My grandparents were pretty low-income at the time. Likely that dresser was was purchased used and was built many years prior.

Michael Rutman
07-06-2023, 12:22 PM
I tried reading this, but my eyes glazed over a bit. Anyone with technical knowledge about law want to chime in? Does this mean even small shops need to supply a wall anchor to a custom solid walnut dresser sold to people who generally don't even have children?

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/cabinets/cabinetmakers-who-make-clothing-storage-units-may-need-comply-new-tipover-rule

This is for self standing CSU (clothing storage units) that weigh more than 30 pounds and are over 27” tall. The actual standard costs $82 to read but basically has 3 tests to see if it is going to fall over.

I looked, there does not appear to be any differentiation between custom work and large manufacturers, so if you are making a stand alone dresser than you are liable if it tips over. I am not a lawyer, but my read is a wall anchor would not absolve you unless it truly is not meant to be standalone.

On the other hand, if you are making a solid walnut dresser then it is likely already passing the tests. The tests are things like the top drawer is fully open and has 30 lbs in it. It’s on carpeting and you push it at 3 feet high with 20 lbs of force. Don’t quote me on those numbers nor the exact nature of the tests. Basically, if a child trying to climb it with the drawers open or running into it will knock over a solid walnut dresser then it’s probably a danger to everyone around as it’s HEAVY.

Brian Tymchak
07-06-2023, 2:04 PM
...On the other hand, if you are making a solid walnut dresser then it is likely already passing the tests. ...

Unless that walnut dresser is much deeper than current styles, I would take the other side of that bet. The dresser we make at the furniture bank is 15.5" deep, made of 3/4" melamine and weighs 100+ lbs. Probably heavier than most hardwood dressers of comparable size. Our dresser did not pass the new tests.

Edwin Santos
07-06-2023, 3:27 PM
I get that it's not fun to be regulated. But this is a real issue. My dad's little brother died when a dresser fell on him. Including some type of hardware with a dresser to make sure it doesn't fall on a child is not a big deal. I would hate to learn about any furniture I made falling on a child.

That's tragic. Very sorry to hear it.

I've had good success using zip ties with a picture frame style hangers securely mounted on the wall. When the zip tie is cinched tight it will pull the piece as close as you desire. Need to remove it? Just clip the zip ties.

Lloyd McKinlay
07-06-2023, 4:08 PM
Linked is a government recommended site (with the standard disclaimers) for types of anchors. Might be worthwhile to include the info when selling a dresser. https://www.anchorit.gov/#

Christian Hawkshaw
07-06-2023, 9:12 PM
If you have Netflix, a documentary series "Broken" covers this topic in episode “Deadly Dressers”. It meanders about painting a picture of corruption in the furniture industry (mainly IKEA) in the first half of the episode and covers the tip-over issue in the second half.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81002391

"Deadly Dressers
60m
Disposable-furniture makers like Ikea use eco-friendly images to hide their true costs: fatally flimsy construction, environmental ruin and more."

Edward Weber
07-07-2023, 10:36 AM
Putting aside that this is a dangerous situation, it's a can of legal worm.
Who is ultimately responsible?

If you buy a car in 100% working order, then run into something or someone, is Ford at fault, no it's you.

If I purchase a dresser, it's now mine and therefore my responsibility. If I don't anchor it to the wall, it's on me, right?
But wait, I'm not qualified to anchor this to the wall or I didn't use the government approved install kit.
The mover brought in all my stuff but didn't fasten the dresser to the wall.
Do I need to hit a stud or is a drywall anchor enough?
1/2" or 5/8" drywall?
and on and on
A document everyone is supposed to follow under penalty of law and it's a steaming mess.
Make it simple, clear and understandable or it won't get followed.
The folks at Ikea should have classes on how to do this free to all customers.

https://www.consumerreports.org/home-garden/furniture/how-to-anchor-furniture-to-help-prevent-tip-overs-a4328328212/

Mel Fulks
07-07-2023, 12:25 PM
The shallow depth of modern stuff is the problem. Probably started with WW2 GI houses, many of which have been torn down. Not
because they were dangerous, people just wouldn’t live in them anymore.

Christian Hawkshaw
07-07-2023, 1:22 PM
The shallow depth of modern stuff is the problem. Probably started with WW2 GI houses, many of which have been torn down. Not
because they were dangerous, people just wouldn’t live in them anymore.

Apparently the IKEA furniture uses a lighter weight particle/press board to reduce shipping costs. This also contributes to the ease of tipping. IKEA also apparently had instructions early on to anchor to the wall, but did not provide the anchors and just said to get a qualified installer to do it. The documentary covers a lot of the background that has led to the current messy legal matter this has become. A lot of the factors discussed in this thread are covered as well.

Holmes Anderson
07-07-2023, 2:40 PM
Below from https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufacturing/Business-Education/Business-Guidance/Clothing-Storage-Units
As someone pointed out, the anti-tip device is not a substitute for failure to pass the tests. Maybe the anti-tip is required because the chest can still tip even if it passes the tests.

The requirements for clothing storage units are as follows:

For products that come with interlocks, the interlocks shall not require additional consumer action to engage during normal operation. Also, the interlocks shall not require consumer assembly or installation if the unit is shipped assembled (consumer assembly and/or installation is allowed for items shipped/sold unassembled). To use the interlock during stability tests, an interlocked element must remain closed and retain function when subjected to 30 lb of force for 5 seconds or its opening must act to close the originally open element.
Product must pass all three stability tests:

Clothing load – Open all doors and extendible elements that are not locked with an interlock (affected by interlock evaluation); if more than 50% of the storage volume is extended, fill enclosed storage with 8.5 lb per ft3 of volume; and hold for 30 seconds
Horizontal force – Apply 10 lb of force at highest hand-hold (no higher than 56 in.) for 10 seconds
Carpet with child weight – Place the test block under the rear legs and hang the 60 lb test apparatus on the front of the door or extendible element most likely to cause tip-over for 30 seconds

Anti-tip device that meets ASTM F3096 (https://www.astm.org/standards/F3096) must be packaged with the product

Kent A Bathurst
07-07-2023, 3:00 PM
...the far greater danger from this legislation comes from the government.

Yeah, well indirectly, insofar as govco authored the regulations.

A jury of your peers aghast at the injury caused by "someone's" malfeasance, as directed by a contingency-40%-of-the-cut PI lawyer, is the greater source of the danger/risk. It's like at the poker table with new players - if you look around and can't tell who the pigeon is - it's you.

You may want to check in with your liability insurance carrier. You can be certain they are up on this issue. And if they're not, that in itself may be cause for some concern.

Edward Weber
07-07-2023, 3:01 PM
I read that on their page as well, unfortunately to the "average" person, that's clear as mud.
Questions you can already hear being asked.
What's an interlock?
"8.5 lb per ft3 of volume", how much volume does my dresser have?
"Horizontal force – Apply 10 lb of force at highest hand-hold", which way is horizontal and where is the hand hold?
"extendible element most likely to cause tip-over", which one is that? the top, or the bottom that gets stood on to reach the top?

Lloyd McKinlay
07-07-2023, 4:10 PM
I read that on their page as well, unfortunately to the "average" person, that's clear as mud.
Questions you can already hear being asked.
What's an interlock?
"8.5 lb per ft3 of volume", how much volume does my dresser have?
"Horizontal force – Apply 10 lb of force at highest hand-hold", which way is horizontal and where is the hand hold?
"extendible element most likely to cause tip-over", which one is that? the top, or the bottom that gets stood on to reach the top?

I assume the testing requirements would be written for the manufacturer or testing facility. As an average consumer I don't need to know the meat packing industry inspection requirements, only that the USDA does.

Bradley Gray
07-07-2023, 6:29 PM
I guess I'm done making tall dressers. Not my favorite thing anyway.

Christian Hawkshaw
07-07-2023, 6:38 PM
I guess I'm done making tall dressers. Not my favorite thing anyway.

It does not have to be that tall..from one of the links earlier:

Free-standing
Height of at least 27 inches
Mass of at least 30 pounds

Michael Rutman
07-10-2023, 11:00 AM
Unless that walnut dresser is much deeper than current styles, I would take the other side of that bet. The dresser we make at the furniture bank is 15.5" deep, made of 3/4" melamine and weighs 100+ lbs. Probably heavier than most hardwood dressers of comparable size. Our dresser did not pass the new tests.

I would not take that bet on either side as you are quite right, I did not consider a 15.5" deep dresser, I was thinking of 20-24" deep. Even then, it would depend on the height, weight of the drawers and if they were full pull out or 3/4 pull out.

Just curious, how are you fixing your furniture bank dressers?

Brian Tymchak
07-10-2023, 12:01 PM
...Just curious, how are you fixing your furniture bank dressers?

We are still experimenting. Looking at combinations of cabinet depth, weight distribution, drawer stop position, etc. If that all fails, I have a new design in mind that might work, but would require a lot of changes to our production.

Edward Weber
07-10-2023, 12:34 PM
I assume the testing requirements would be written for the manufacturer or testing facility. As an average consumer I don't need to know the meat packing industry inspection requirements, only that the USDA does.
But if you're a woodworker who makes and sells dressers, you need to know this.

Holmes Anderson
07-10-2023, 12:41 PM
For those interested in more detail:
https://www.foley.com/en/insights/publications/2023/04/cpsc-regulatory-certainty-clothing-storage-units
https://myhfa.org/clothing-storage-unit-compliance/
https://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/Video/CPSC-Commission-Meeting-Decisional-Matter-Final-Rule-Safety-Standard-for-Clothing-Storage-Units

Tom Bender
07-12-2023, 7:18 AM
If something I built kills someone, the lawsuit will be the smaller injury.

Brian Tymchak
09-06-2023, 2:10 PM
Thought I would offer a followup on this topic. We just got word yesterday that our new design 4 drawer dresser passed the tip tests of the new standards. There was an issue with labelling which will be worked out this week. We sent our dresser to a test lab in Detroit. The testing cost about $700. So we started this week to retool the shop to produce the new cabinet. Lot's of work - rebuild 10 work stations, create or modify 7 or 8 parts templates, review/modify a half dozen cut lists. We even have to modify some parts storage to accomodate new dimensions of parts. Hopefully we are back into production mid next week.

The new standard requires an approved tip over warning sticker adhered inside the top drawer. There is specific text and imagery required on the sticker. The standard requires the sticker to not be "peelable", or easy removed. The label must shred when removal is attempted. It looks like we were the first builder to attempt the labeling part of the standard as the furniture bank manager found typos in the verbage as he worked with U-Line to produce the stickers, which will be a new product for them.