View Full Version : Picture Frames

Eric Brown
07-03-2023, 9:50 AM
I wanted to make picture frames for a bunch of posters and so I looked at all my woodworking books. Basically they all said a "proper" picture frame MUST HAVE mitered corners. No exposed end grain. However, the first one I did was for the Anarchist Tool Chest. Nothing seem right. I decided to follow a Chis Schwarz's saying "Disobey me". Looking at the poster I realized that the chest lid itself would make a good picture frame. It uses mortice & tenon joinery, which is very strong. Decide to make all the frames in a similar fashion out of different woods. Pined the joints, either one or two pins with the pins being a different wood. All the edge were beveled to minimize dust buildup. I used a dark beeswax finish on them. Even though they are not proper, most people like them. They will not fall apart. (So now you can also see that I do woodworking on occasion.)

Quilted Maple

Walnut

Sycamore

Locust

Osage Orange

Rafael Herrera
07-03-2023, 10:53 AM
There's nothing wrong with the type of joinery you used. However, if you want to use a moulded profile, you will have to use a mitered joint.

Rafael Herrera
07-03-2023, 6:11 PM
Minimizing the exposure of end grain has a reason. Perhaps is not as relevant in this age where climate control is available. Exposed endgrain as a feature or for ease of construction can be debated.

This is an interesting article.

https://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/drawer-front-dovetail-evolution/

Von Bickley
07-03-2023, 8:02 PM
Your frames look great. Miter joints are not required on a picture frame.

Eric Brown
07-03-2023, 8:15 PM
Minimizing the exposure of end grain has a reason. Perhaps is not as relevant in this age where climate control is available. Exposed endgrain as a feature or for ease of construction can be debated.

This is an interesting article.

https://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/drawer-front-dovetail-evolution/

Yes, interesting article. While a mitered corner will slow up moisture it won't stop it. Think of a breadboard end on a tabletop. It has to allow for the wood movement.
On these picture frames the wood is free to move. It's also why there is a gap around the glass. Eng grain will absorb more finish and look somewhat darker, but on these frames it's a bonus. They were donated to a future wood working school as examples.

Eric Brown
07-03-2023, 8:16 PM
Your frames look great. Miter joints are not required on a picture frame.

Your frames look nice as well. Good job.

glenn bradley
07-04-2023, 12:49 AM
I think they look great. Love the subject matter too.

Mitered corners are definitely not a requirement.

Rob Luter
07-04-2023, 6:42 AM
I've made quite a few frames for pictures and tiles and most aren't mitered. There are so many more options that way.

Eric Brown
07-04-2023, 6:35 PM
I think they look great. Love the subject matter too.

Mitered corners are definitely not a requirement.

Thanks. Was wondering if anyone would notice the subjects.