PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Corian material to tabletop

Mike Wilkins
01-31-2006, 4:41 PM
I am about to install a solid surface insert into the top of a cabinet I have completed for the first time. If anyone has ever used this material, what is the best adhesive for attaching to a wood surface. I have seen it installed on some of the TV shows, but do not remember what they use.
Thanks in advance for your assistance. And watch those fingers.

Tyler Howell
01-31-2006, 4:45 PM
Mike, I'm not a real counter installer but play one on TV.
I've used silicon adhesive, seals out moisture and holds the piece in place but little to nothing is going to stick in that place again unless you scrape to bear wood.

Jim DeLaney
01-31-2006, 4:56 PM
When I did mine - 16" X 24" insert into a tabletop, I rabbeted thecutout to about 1/16" deeper than the thickness of the Corian (about 9/16"), then spread a thin layer of clear silicone caulk/adhesive on the rabbet and set the Corian in so that it was flush with the wooden top.

If you expect to be cutting things on the Corian, I'd set it maybe 1/32" to 1/16" proud of the wood surface so that a knife blade 'slip' doesn't slice the wood.

Rick Thom
01-31-2006, 9:06 PM
Mike, I have corian countertops in kitchen and bathroom.
The kitchen one is white and has been in 15 or so years now, the bathroom for 10. Both are on conventional cabinets and silicon was used to attach them.
I expect you are using this as a cutting /food prep surface. Be aware that it will show wear and knife cuts etc, as well as stains so it isn't totally 'maintenance free'. Most cleansers with abraisives will roughen the surface somewhat as well. We use the cut-out from the sinks as a cutting board (with plastic feet glued on) which makes it easier to keep it clean and looking that way too. I intend 'one day' to give it a little polishing to restore the shine.

Mike Wilkins
02-01-2006, 9:39 AM
Thanks guys. Now that you mention it, the silicone adhesive does sound like what the cabinet pros use. I will just have to do as Tyler suggests, and scrape the rabbet to bare wood. It was pre-finished, just like the FWW guys told me. This is a storage cabinet only, and no cutting will be done on the solid surface(I hope not).
Tyler: what show are you on-The New Buckeye Chop Shop???

Bart Watkins
02-06-2006, 10:05 PM
The silicone is what is suggested by most solid surface manufacturers to mount it to cabinets. Also if anyone is interested if you sand solid surface in the following steps it slicks up very nice. 80 or 100 grit for rough cuts or bad scratches then 150,220,320 and then wet sand with gray scotch-brite.

Doug Shepard
02-07-2006, 11:30 AM
I've only used it in rabbeted frames on these guys
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15882
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15693

I wanted to be able to remove the corian if necessary so I just put double stick carpet tape on the rabbet ledge. That and gravity do a good job. They're stuck in there pretty good but if need be I can take them out with some light prying from underneath.

Mike Wilkins
02-07-2006, 2:20 PM
Hey fellas. I was in the orange borg this past week and found the perfect adhesive for this solid surface material. It is a granite and solid surface adhesive in the caulk-type tubes made by the same folks that make the Liquid Nails. Gold colored tubes, easy to dispense and not too costly(about $4.80 per tube).
Is'nt it great when you answer your own question?? I almost feel smart. NOT!
Thanks anyway. Got to go now. I hear a stogie calling me.