PDA

View Full Version : Corded, fixed base, palm router with best dust collection

Kent A Bathurst
07-02-2023, 11:29 AM
I'm considering a "palm" router. My objective is the available best dust collection.

I don't need cordless. I don't need a plunge base. I will consider either or both if they are on the critical path to my objective of best dust collection.

I understand how The Tool Gods want me to have a plunge base - I have two for my stable of PC 69x, so They - hopefully - will not strike me dead if I get a router with only a fixed base. I will take my chances with Them, so you may take a pass on those arguments.

Any advice?

Thanks

Kent

Ron Selzer
07-02-2023, 11:32 AM
Watching as I would like the same.
Ron

Warren Lake
07-02-2023, 12:20 PM
at one point had a lot of routers and lam trimmers. I burned out Makita trimmers. these ones bought up to and over 40 years ago, sure they improved along the way. The best lam trimmers i have are the old used PC trimmers I bought can check the model heavy and solid.

Dust collection I cant help, I dont want it it gets in the way of working I want a tool to be free as possible so I can move as i want over the work. Been enough stuff past large router bits in routers doing bullnose even if i had dust collection it would never capture it all.

Derek Cohen
07-02-2023, 1:08 PM
The Makita RT0700C has superb dust collection (I have one). Plus has a number of optional accessories, such as a plunge base.

https://i.postimg.cc/nHrp0YBd/Main.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Kent A Bathurst
07-02-2023, 2:11 PM
Derek - thanks

That's a Derek-made extended base plate, yes? And the dust collection gizmo has the tube/chute to the left in the photo, and a curved face which attaches to the router housing?

I've seen photos of that dust attachment, but have not been able to locate any photo or publication which clearly explains how it attaches, and how it does what it does. They call it the 195559-1 Dust Extracting Nozzle.

Your photo helps, and according to your comment, it does a good job, so I'm good with that. Thanks

Keegan Shields
07-02-2023, 2:26 PM
Kent,

My Milwaukee M18 palm router has decent dust collection on the fixed base it comes with. I’ve not tried the plunge base. Festool type hoses hook right up to it.

Overall it’s a decent router if you already have the M18 batteries. Great for light edge profiles and rabbets.

Kent A Bathurst
07-02-2023, 2:58 PM
Thanks, Keegan - I'll check it out.

Now I need to find a mortise chisel to sell, to fund the purchase :)

Michael Drew
07-02-2023, 4:05 PM
I do not have one, but wish I did....I have a love/hate relationship with Festool. Love their tools, hate the price point. https://www.festoolusa.com/products/routing/edge-routers/576239---mfk-700-eq-set-us#Overview

Marc Fenneuff
07-02-2023, 4:12 PM
Agree with Derek. The dust collection on the small Makita is excellent. Only complaint I have is that it's a bit unwieldy with the hose attached. That big base would help alot.

Kent A Bathurst
07-02-2023, 4:34 PM
Agree with Derek. The dust collection on the small Makita is excellent. Only complaint I have is that it's a bit unwieldy with the hose attached. That big base would help alot.

Thanks for the input, Marc. I think I can muddle through with the hose.

I have a hose for handheld things - ROS, etc. - which leaves the Fein vac, goes up and over the workbench, and is readily available from above. I'm pretty sure I can work around the complication. I have two Betterly router dust bases - outstanding - but those are for my PC 690 and are just too darn big for a lot of things. I also used it for my belt sander back in the day.

I have an extension cord zip-tied to the hose, and it's plugged into the auto-start on the Fein. AND - get this bit - I cut off the tools' power cords, and put on a new male plug leaving me a cord of 10" - 12" or so. Just enough to plug the tool in when I have the vac hose connected, so I don't have any power cords getting in my way.

Long story. Rambled a bit. Wanted you to know the unwieldy hose won't be an issue because I spent a lot of time over-engineering a complex solution to a simple problem.

Thanks again for your insight.

Aaron Inami
07-02-2023, 5:07 PM
I have a Dewalt trim router with fixed base. The Dewalt dust collector add-on works pretty well. However, there are a couple of things I've noticed. Since the dust port assembly covers the entry on the bottom of the router, it is difficult to see where the router bit is cutting (this is a problem if you are doing a free-hand inset cut). Also, since the dust port points upwards, it causes a lot of torque based on the weight of the dust hose.

Dewalt dust port for palm router:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AJEUKS/

The Makita dust port for palm router allows the hose to be connected from the side and doesn't put a lot of torque on the plastic. Also, it allows better view for the router bit itself:
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-195559-1-Extracting-Attachment-Routers/dp/B00DUUHMS0/

Bosch appears to have a similar dust port.

Aaron Inami
07-02-2023, 6:38 PM
Another feature in my Dewalt trim router is LED lights inside that shine down onto the router bit. This is very helpful when you do a free-hand inset cut. If you are just doing edge trimmer (like round-over), it's not as important.

Rich Markiewicz
07-02-2023, 7:44 PM
I have a Bosch Colt and a Milwaukee M18 cordless. In my experience, the M18 is somewhat easier to use with dust extraction. The M18 has LED's. Between the two, I reach first for the M18. Haven't used the DeW or the Makita. Good luck w the decision . . .

Rich Engelhardt
07-03-2023, 8:28 AM
I've only used the Makita cordless so I can't vouch for any of the other cordless compact routers.
With the Li Ion battery technology and the brushless motor, the cordless little Makita has a lot more power than its corded counterpart.

I have - Makita corded and cordless, both fixed and plunge bases ; DeWalt corded (611PK) fixed and plunge base ; Dremel corded plunge attachment which works very well with 1/8" bits.

Kent A Bathurst
07-03-2023, 9:43 AM
...the cordless little Makita has a lot more power than its corded counterpart....

Rich - I've wondered if the battery perched up there makes it top-heavy/wobbly in use. Comments?

Rich Engelhardt
07-04-2023, 4:59 AM
Kent - just a little.
I'm fortunate in that I have a 1.0 AH battery that came with one of my Makita tools. It works just great. The 2.0AH, which is just a bit larger is pretty good also.

I've never run mine with the 4.0, 5.0 batteries so I can't say for sure how tipsy it is with them.
Since the fixed base is a body grip, I don't think it's too bad.

I did get a 6 in 1 base from 3X3 Custom that's about 9"x6" that will go a long way to make it more stable too.

Rich Markiewicz
07-04-2023, 7:39 AM
Though I have an M18, not a Mak, I would agree with Rich E. With a 2.0 battery, the router feels well balanced; with a 4.0 batt, it feels a bit top-heavy. I only have the OEM base for it. If the dust extraction hose (& cord) is dropping down from above, a corded tool may be a better solution, & would avoid investing in a new battery platform.

Kent A Bathurst
07-04-2023, 8:10 AM
I am blessed with an abundance of Riches

Rich E - much nicer base than my collection of random scraps of 3/8 and 1/2 plywood Dunno if I’d get $70 value though. McMaster-carr has an annoying habit of dropping boxes at my door, so maybe I’ll have them toss a piece of clear plastic in the next one

Rich M - yep to the overhead drops. Good point

I have 4 @ 3.0 Makita batteries, plus a 1.0 or 2.0 in the car with the air pump. Have to ponder, especially since I nearly always have an accessory base plate. But not as nice as Obi-Wan Australia though

Rich Markiewicz
07-04-2023, 8:57 AM
Yeah, def. If you are on that battery platform, that's half the battle (& cost). I am gradually migrating away from M18, but a new Mak battery setup is kinda spendy. Let us know your final decision, I'd be interested to hear. Yeah, McM-C, JW Winco, MSC, etc have my address as well... LOL

Kent A Bathurst
07-04-2023, 9:13 AM
Yeah, def. If you are on that battery platform, that's half the battle (& cost). I am gradually migrating away from M18, but a new Mak battery setup is kinda spendy. Let us know your final decision, I'd be interested to hear. Yeah, McM-C, JW Winco, MSC, etc have my address as well... LOL

I learned last week that there are adapters to connect battery brand A to tool brand B. You might take a look - those Old Milwaukee batteries might just work on the Makita.

McM not only has my address, they have my keyboard - their Eastern Seaboard distribution center is 15 miles from my house. They are are efficient - I can order this afternoon and get it in the morning. Highland is only 10 miles, but requires a drive.

Rich Markiewicz
07-05-2023, 10:07 AM
Thanks Kent, I'll check out the A-B adapters. Good to have good parts suppliers!

Dave Sabo
07-06-2023, 12:02 PM
Rich - I've wondered if the battery perched up there makes it top-heavy/wobbly in use. Comments?

Yes, all of the battery powered routers are top heavy and a bit unstable. It's not so bad as to warrant not buying/using but you should try to get one in your hands before you make a decision.

.......................besides, there's NO advantage to battery power when you've got a vac hose attached to the router.

Often overlooked for a "compact" router is Festool's OF1010. It doesn't really look compact, but it's not much bigger than the DeWalt 611 and the xtra size is more than made up for in handling capability. Not much can be done about the price , unfortunately............you can buy 3-4 of the other flavors for one FT. I'd rec. the DW611 if ya gotta have one tomorrow.

Rich Markiewicz
07-06-2023, 12:24 PM
...getting lost in the forks in the thread here...
I agree with Dave S, was gonna recommend the OF1010 but for the price. The dust extraction is excellent, esp as hose is on a drop.

Kent A Bathurst
07-06-2023, 12:32 PM
thanks, fellas. I've never gotten to the point where I could go with that brand. No questions about it's quality. I'm not enough of a high-frequency guy to make the investment. I've come close on a router and ROS. Got the Mirka Deros instead, and just don't use a handheld router much.

Some of their products seem to me as an expensive solution searching for a problem, but that's just me. They do have serious engineering/design chops.