PDA

View Full Version : Chaplin Planes Before & After

Eric Brown
07-02-2023, 10:41 AM
Here is a group of Chaplin "Improved" bench planes and a block planes, with an earlier type block plane. The two bench planes had been painted with a latex type paint to cover up all the rust. The #5 sized one had a broken front knob, lever cap and tote. These were replaced. The Improved models use a lever to adjust the blade. Works nice but it's not as precise as a screw adjuster. Interesting note, the bottom corrugations are match on the top with ridges. They actually nest making a pleated type of surface keeping strength but reducing weight. Also shown is a Chaplin square. All of them have been nickel plated.

Frederick Skelly
07-02-2023, 11:07 AM
Nice job. How well do they perform in actual use?

John Keeton
07-02-2023, 11:10 AM
Eric, I will say that your plating makes for a beautiful enhancement on tools!! Well done.

Eric Brown
07-02-2023, 11:39 AM
Nice job. How well do they perform in actual use?

They work well. However, the blade adjustment is probably the biggest issue. It's just not as fine as a screw adjustment. I do like the adjustable mouths on several them. I have small hands and many block planes are uncomfortable for me. These aren't too bad. They look sexy though so that offsets some of the downsides.

Eric Brown
07-02-2023, 11:41 AM
Eric, I will say that your plating makes for a beautiful enhancement on tools!! Well done.

Thanks John. I try to bring out the beauty in my tools. It also helps reduce future rusting. Another advantage is that sometimes markings are found under the paint and rust which cannot normally be seen.