PDA

View Full Version : Rust prevention for short term storage

Anthony Scott
07-02-2023, 10:30 AM
I have a Laguna bandsaw that I will be using infrequently for the foreseeable future.
I keep the cast iron table treated with T-9. But this doesn’t seem to do well in the Missouri heat and humidity.
Is there something better to use for this purpose?
Thanks.

Bill Dufour
07-02-2023, 11:29 AM
I wonder if dupont chainsaver lube would work. It is wax and solvent in a spray can. Goes on wet like wd40. No silicone to cause problems. Paste wax is the classic.
Bill D

Lee Schierer
07-02-2023, 12:21 PM
Spray on an extra heavy coat of T-9 and don't wipe it down. It will protect your saw. When you want to use the saw again, spray on more T-9 and wipe off the old and the new.

Richard Coers
07-02-2023, 12:42 PM
If the table is you main concern, a layer of cosmoline would do the trick. It works even on the slow boat from China.

Dave Sabo
07-08-2023, 9:59 PM
Zep IronClad

James Jayko
07-12-2023, 11:56 AM
When I've had things shipped to me from the manufacturer, it typically comes heavily oiled covered in plastic or a heavy wax paper. What about a (relatively) heavy coat of furniture wax and plastic wrap, wax, or parchment paper?

andy bessette
07-12-2023, 12:00 PM
A dehumidifier would be nice. I use one on my boat and it removes gallons of water per day.

Steven O Smith
07-13-2023, 8:05 AM
You could warm the table with an incandescent bulb.

Tom Bender
07-15-2023, 9:11 AM
How about peel and stick plastic. Leave it in place when using the saw. Use package tape or vinyl flooring or anything in between.

Joe Adams
07-16-2023, 12:09 AM
Spray on an extra heavy coat of T-9 and don't wipe it down. It will protect your saw. When you want to use the saw again, spray on more T-9 and wipe off the old and the new.

I did this for Delta contractor saw stored for three years in a shed in Houston, Texas and there was zero rust when I got it back out. It was dusty but not rusty. Pretty amazing!

Paul Saffold
07-16-2023, 6:54 AM
Lay a sheet of plastic on the table and hold that down so there is no air between the plastic and the cast iron. Currently I have 2 pieces of a trash bag held down with plywood cutoffs. Blade is still on. When I need to use it simply remove it. I do keep the table waxed.