PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector fittings question

Rob Blaustein
01-31-2006, 4:18 PM
Question for those of you who have simultaneous connections to your table saw base and overarm guard. Sounds like 5" to base and 4" to guard is popular. I can either run 2 4" lines from by Jet DC1200 to both, but it sounds like it would be preferable to go 6" inches out from the DC to a Y then reduce to 5" on one, and 4" on the other. Is there such a thing as a Y fitting that does that in one fitting (6" inlet, and both a 5" and 4" outlet). Or do you use a Y that is 6" in, reduced to two 5" out, then reduce one of the 5's to a 4? Or do I have to use a Y that is all 6", and use reducers on each leg? DC fittings are a nightmare.

Allan Johanson
01-31-2006, 4:43 PM
Having purchased specific wyes in the past (like a 7x6x4 that I now regret) I'm now in favor of sticking with a full size wye (7x7x7) and then reducing as I see fit. Future upgrades/changes are easy when you only have to change a simple reducer. I can buy any reducer I want at my local Home Depot.

Cheers,

Allan

Rob Blaustein
01-31-2006, 4:57 PM
Having purchased specific wyes in the past (like a 7x6x4 that I now regret) I'm now in favor of sticking with a full size wye (7x7x7) and then reducing as I see fit. Future upgrades/changes are easy when you only have to change a simple reducer. I can buy any reducer I want at my local Home Depot.

Cheers,

Allan

Thanks Allan. I noticed HD had metal fittings (flanges, reducers, etc) that were around the same price as plastic ones I've see (around $5-7). Is there any advantage to these if one doesn't use metal ductwork--are they sturdier, for example, or is plastic fine?