PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Phyfe furniture

Gary Herrmann
01-31-2006, 3:03 PM
A friend of mine is helping to organize a family member's estate. Apparently, there may be some Duncan Phyfe furniture included. Can suggest some sources for appraisal, valuation etc?

I'm hoping I can get over to the house and help organize a bit. It would be pretty cool to see some of that in person, when it isn't cordoned off in a musuem.

Dave Anderson NH
01-31-2006, 4:15 PM
Gary, if it is truly Duncan Phyfe, it is as you know, it is worth quite a bit no matter what the condition. The most reliable appraisers are those who specialize in furniture and who are not general line antique dealers. The regular antique dealers would likely try to get it for an unfairly low price and can sometimes be a bit high pressure in their tactics if they think they see a "mark".

I would call Sothebys, Christies, Israel Sack and Co, or someone with equal credentials and ask for their advise. If they are close, or have a branch nearby, they could do it for you. If they are distant they could steer you to someone reliable. Be prepared for a good sized fee to establish the authenticity, appraisals are not free. Information about the history of the piece, receipts, written records of any type, etc are often necessary to establish the provenence of the furniture. Even if it is only in "the style of", it still might have a good bit of value.

Gary Herrmann
01-31-2006, 4:45 PM
Thanks Dave

Apparently, there are something like 5 generations worth of family possessions in the home. I've been told that the family had a good deal of money going generations back, so I guess its possible it is real Duncan Phyfe. I believe one of the family members became very excited when she found a matching piece of furniture that came up for auction some years back. If I get out there and get to take some pictures, I'll post.