PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Electric hand planer

Bert McMahan
06-28-2023, 5:48 PM
I am building a small deck, and being my first time doing this, the boards aren't exactly planar. I'd like to pick up an electric planer to level them out. There are some pretty low-cost planers out there already but I'd prefer to buy used if possible.

I'd be interested in a Milwaukee or Ryobi battery-powered model or a corded one of any brand. PM me if you have one sitting around!

Frederick Skelly
06-28-2023, 6:27 PM
Bert, did you see the Makita for sale in this forum? (See 6/19 post)

Bert McMahan
06-29-2023, 3:27 PM
I hadn't seen it, thanks for pointing it out. It's a little more machine than I'm looking for right now. I'm hoping for something lower cost, especially for a corded unit.

Tom M King
06-29-2023, 4:05 PM
What kind of decking boards are you using? Have you ever used a power planer before?

Bert McMahan
06-29-2023, 4:30 PM
Sorry, should've been more clear- I meant the joists aren't planar, not the decking boards. I'm planning on going composite (probably Trex) for the decking itself, which I have heard shows waviness since it's more flexible than real wood.

Robert Hayward
06-29-2023, 6:06 PM
Seems as though you need the planer for one job. Have you looked at the Wen homeowner grade planer for $29.65 on Amazon? Or a more powerful one for $40.76 at HD?

Bert McMahan
06-29-2023, 6:56 PM
Robert, that's exactly right, and those are the models I'm considering. I prefer buying things used since I can usually get a better model for the same money, and (within reason) I'd prefer to not support the "race to the bottom" cheap tools industry if I can help it. Plus, I'd rather give my money to a Creeker than to a big business :)

Tom M King
06-29-2023, 10:59 PM
Thanks Bert. That makes a lot more sense, and something I've actually used a power planer for. You don't have much work for one, so brand won't matter much. Do keep the setting jig for the blades. I keep two Makita's in a tool box with extra blades and tee wrench for changing them. One is for rough work, that I don't worry about the blades much, and the other is for finer work where surface finish matters.

Bert McMahan
06-30-2023, 2:16 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I found a used Ryobi cordless unit so I no longer have a need for another one. Thanks to all for their tips.