PDA

View Full Version : Salt free water conditioners ("softeners")

Ron Selzer
06-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Looking into installing a Nuvo20 Manor Softener System w/cartridge
I understand it is not a softener but a conditioner for the water. Looking to see if anyone is using one and their experiences with it.
Wanting to avoid lime build up from the city water in the new white shower stall and the black faucets the wife insisted on.
Thanks
Ron

Brian Runau
06-28-2023, 2:04 PM
Recently reviewed these. Salt free does not do the same job as salted. There are minerals it can't get out. We were using a bag a month we went with high efficient salted unit. Greatly reduced salt we have to carry downstairs. 1 bag every 3-4 months on the high end.

George Yetka
06-28-2023, 2:19 PM
Recently reviewed these. Salt free does not do the same job as salted. There are minerals it can't get out. We were using a bag a month we went with high efficient salted unit. Greatly reduced salt we have to carry downstairs. 1 bag every 3-4 months on the high end.

We have a delivery service that puts it in the basement cheaper then I can buy it in the store.

I have heard the same on the salt free systems.

Ron I would recomend a small softener for your use with per use backwashing. Make sure all outdoor water is bypassed and you shouldnt need more than a 40lb bag a month. Im on heavy Iron well water I end up doing 4 80 lb bags a month in the summer with bed watering.

Bill George
06-28-2023, 6:26 PM
We have a delivery service that puts it in the basement cheaper then I can buy it in the store.

I have heard the same on the salt free systems.

Ron I would recomend a small softener for your use with per use backwashing. Make sure all outdoor water is bypassed and you shouldnt need more than a 40lb bag a month. Im on heavy Iron well water I end up doing 4 80 lb bags a month in the summer with bed watering.

Your using softened water to water your plants?

Jerry Bruette
06-28-2023, 6:28 PM
Some softeners use potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. You still have to refill them though. Kinetico, a manufacturer of softeners, states on their website that salt softeners reduce hard water and reduces scale everywhere, salt free softeners condition hard water and reduce scale most places.

Sounds like you run the risk of scale build up if using a conditioner.

Lee Schierer
06-28-2023, 7:10 PM
We switched the control on our softener from timed recharge to number of gallons that have run through. That change has significantly reduced our salt use. We now use one block or one bag every 5-6 months.

Stan Calow
06-28-2023, 7:15 PM
Ron, If you look at the company's website, what that system does is inject citric acid into the water (not removing anything) which lowers the pH and thus keeps the calcium & magnesium minerals in solution rather than making deposits. Totally different end product than sodium or potassium chloride water softeners which remove the minerals.

Jim Becker
07-01-2023, 1:54 PM
Ron, I'm seriously considering replacing the salt based softener at this property with the Nuvo20 Manor. We've lost so many houseplants because of the sodium levels and the bags of salt are very heavy to deal with, too. Builder Matt Reissinger (Build Show) has spoken highly of the Nuvo product and has it in his own home, too. Stan is correct that the Nuvo works via citrates so the bad stuff in the water comes out and it can also be remedial. But it doesn't "soften" in the way that many folks are used to. And that's OK with me. This house is the first one I've lived in over my 66 years that actually has a "softener".

Ron Selzer
07-01-2023, 2:27 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Nuvo20Manor is on its way from Home Depot, they had the best price. I don't want to deal with salt. Have had a salt softener in another has and just didn't care for it. Too expensive to have a plumber seperate the water lines and i no longer get up on ladders, also basement ceiling is drywall, an added expense when trying to separate lines. Wife waters too many plants to have soft water going to them.
In a couple years I willl be happy, along with the plumber being happy adding the Nuvo20Manor to over 800 houses in this subdivision OR I will decide I threw $1000 away.
Either way it should be installed next week. I bought it with 2 extra filters. So 1 1/2 to 2 years before I buy another filter or tear it out.
Ron

Jim Becker
07-01-2023, 4:29 PM
Please keep us current with both the install and a follow up after a little time. As I mentioned, I'm considering the same and I suspect I'm not the only one.

Paul F Franklin
07-01-2023, 7:20 PM
I notice you can buy just the filter element and use it in any standard double long filter housing; that makes the price a lot more attractive. May have to give it a try.

Jim Becker
07-02-2023, 2:42 PM
Ron, I was happy to see that just the conditioner can be had as we already have a large charcoal filter after the sediment filter and don't need another. I'm likely going to do this in the next few months as soon as I use up the salt I have already paid for.

Stan Calow
07-03-2023, 9:47 AM
You do still have to buy the citrate solution, right? Is that expensive?